SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
course411

Cape Cod expansion ideas (aka Love it or List It)

course411
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

House reno ideas · More Info

• DH and I, along with our 4yo and almost-2yo moved into a sweet little 1956 Cape Cod house a couple of months ago. 4 bed / 2ba, 1517 sqft. Unfinished bsmt, no garage. It's fine for now but we are definitely going to feel cramped before long. We love the land it's on (1.2 acres with conservation land across the street, and mature landscaping) but we have a pretty long wish list for the house itself. I have dreamed high and low and drawn more floor plans than I can keep track of, trying to balance function, flow, needs v. wants, and the likely budget implications. I'm at a point where I feel like I could use some crowd-sourced inspiration. Here is a rough plan of the existing first floor (doors and windows not indicated):
    And the second floor:
    Ideally, we would find a way to add most of the following:
    • 2 car garage
    • family room
    • updated/expanded kitchen
    • mudroom
    • half bath
    • larger back deck
    • take advantage of southeastern exposure on kitchen side of house (ie more windows!)
    • not block views that the current sunroom has toward conservation land across the street
    • keep the 3 river birch trees in the back yard; not eat up a lot of yard with a huge expanded footprint

So far the best I can come up with for the first floor is this (it assumes removing the sunroom and having a basement level garage):

I measured the actual kitchen dimensions today and the short side is actually 11'5" instead of 12' so I don't think an island with seating will fit - I would have to bump out the back wall.

I would love some fresh ideas that might push me in some new interesting directions. If you had a blank slate (and for the time being budget weren't an issue), what would you do with this little Cape to add more function, flow, and space?
Thanks so much for any/all ideas!

Comments (20)