SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
am_e

Help me pick exterior paint colors?

Am E
7 years ago

Anyone want to help me pick exterior paint colors? New build, hardie fiber cement board siding, which came primed. I have a mix of horizontal plank and vertical board and battens style. Black metal roof. This is what the house looks like now:

Here’s the thing. While I’ve mostly been successful in making decisions during this project, I am completely and totally stuck about an exterior color scheme. I am terrible at aesthetic choices, especially paint colors. I’ve hired an interior designer who is helping me, but I’m second guessing the color scheme we finally landed on. My houzz ideabook where I’ve tried to find homes with a similar “style” to mine is all over the map. It’s at least grouped into similar color schemes. The only thing I know for sure is DH doesn’t want green. (greenish grays seem to be ok) The problem is, I’ve put this off for so long, and now I actually have to make a decision, as the GC has just about let the contract for the painting contractor. I have to choose.

Anyone out there who likes this sort of thing and wants to help? I’m open to ideas! Make my house look good! Also, the house is not in view of any neighbors, it’s in a clearing in the woods.

Comments (90)

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

benjesbride - I did try the color snap tool, but I did not get foggy day as one of the suggestions. I did not make the color samples circles bigger like yours, and I was not getting very good color suggestions. The palette you show looks much better, so, maybe I need to experiment with it more.

Carol - no worries, I will make sure to post my progress and final decision here (I like when other people do that in their threads:) . Just had to take some time off obsessing about house colors to do other things. It turns out I probably have another week or two to make a decision (actually, as long as I accept the resulting delays, I can put it off longer, it just would not be smart to upset the painting sub-contractos schedule too much).

I did go to the paint store and get samples of some grays: (A cloud very helpfully passed over while I had the camera out to take pictures, so I got a photo in shade and full sunlight :)

This really illustrates to me the difference between photos and real life. Its a bit different. (The color on the right looks slightly more green in real life for sure).

All the colors look lighter than I was expecting based on the paper sample.

DH and I are at a friendly impasse. I like that color on the right (SW6200 Link Gray). Of the four, that's the only one he sort of likes, but he really wants a much darker gray.

I will probably go back and get more samples, darker grays, and some blue/grays.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm not sure if DH is helping or making this more difficult:) We're thankfully mostly on the same page about aesthetic choices, but seem to be differing on the exterior. He claims to not care or not know what he wants, but then he vetoes (or at least says he doesn't really like) my selections:)

If it
    were just me, I like SW6200 link gray, and coordinating
    off-white trim for the house and garage pretty well. Black roof, wood stained doors to compliment/match the porch timbers,
    done. Looks nice.
    He thinks its boring, and may be right. He's narrowed it down to two completely different looks. He either wants:

(A) a much darker gray or blue/gray, with white trim or

(B) something like below that I may be regretting showing to him :) Today he's really interested in this "modern farmhouse" look like the photos below, with the white houses and red garages:

Ridgeside Vineyard Farmhouse · More Info

Plan Z · More Info

or (B2) - with a dark gray house and red garage, which I'm really not sure about that.

I know I said I'd eliminated the separate color for the garage, and given up on red, but here we are again:) I'll let him sleep on that and see if he still likes it later in the week:) (Also, I never thought I would get into this, but this is kinda fun. If it weren't so expensive, I might have my house painted more often so I could have different looks).

• Related Discussions

Please help me pick exterior paint colors!!!

Q

Comments (1)
    Suggestion - post over at the Home Decorating site and, if possible, post a picture along with your post. In the meantime, try this site for experimentation. You can choose house colors, shingle colors, door, trim etc. in a mix and match way. http://exteriorfx.owenscorning.com/exteriorfx/Welcome.do
    ...See More

Please help me pick out color for our house exterior! Pic

Q

Comments (39)
    It is funny, but I did not change the garage door color. I used MS Paint and it did weird things to the roof too. Looking at it here, it seems like I made the top part brown.... I'd either do the garage door with the 2 light tones or keep it all white. I'd paint it last to see how it looks white first with the new house color. When I was working on the mock up, the lavender was either too strong or too light. I went with too light because the next step up was garish. Our lavender is sometimes very subtle, but when you see the nearby white, you realize it is not white too. It also looks different as the light changes throughout the day. I'll try to take an exterior pic of our house tomorrow. The landscaping needs a major trim, but the blooming trees out front are at their best. I work from my office Thurs-Sun and from home Mon-Wed (much fewer hours), so can do some work on them in the a.m. and take a neater photo ;) Although, it sounds like it is raining outside at the moment...
    ...See More

Help me pick my exterior paint trim for my home done in Pacific Blue

Q

Comments (3)
    I have exactly the same dilemma. Need white but not very popping out and doesn't go on the cream side as well. I have very light gray siding and we ended up liking Eider White and Extra White. Extra White Is the third one down on the same strip as yours.
    ...See More

Help me pick a Exterior Paint Colors PLEASE!!

Q

Comments (4)
    We will for sure repaint the entire house minus the brick. Bought this as a foreclosure a few years ago and have been focused on remodeling the interior till now. We were Originally thinking white - looking at Swiss coffee, China white, ballet white, snowbound - but want to be careful not to go too “white”. Painted some samples today with Bm edgecomb grey and it looks like a contender. Would you say paint very thing white, trim, body, doors, etc? we have some gutter match paint we thought about using in some spots as an accent maybe. Thanks!!
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Those 2 examples you show withe the White House and red garage both have detached garages. Yours is not detached so do take that into consideration.

What I have learned to do with DH is to choose only 2 or at most 3 choices to give him to make, sort of like with a kid. If I do 3 choices I make sure the third choice is absolutely awful.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lolz! cp, its a bit true. Decision making does seem to go better when I spend the time to narrow it down first, and then present a few options.

I feel you Lily'smom, I feel you. I'm not even mad at DH (its his house too, he should like it), but it can get frustrating. I just need to remember CPs strategy, and try not to share everything before I've got my options narrowed down. I've done better with other choices, but really set myself up for decision making difficulty with exterior paint colors:)

house is moving along, meeting with the GC again this Thursday on some interior items. Will try to find out exterior paint schedule.

I've got a few more colors picked out, some blue grays, and darker grays. Just need to find time to get to the paint store and get more samples. (I should probably just order some foam brushes in bulk at this point:)

• Jane
    7 years ago

I didn't read everything, but I am drawn to the idea of a white farmhouse with a beige trim color from the stone that is 3 shades darker than white. Then I would play with the idea of doing the garage in red (or the beige trim color if you hate the red), and some red accents to repeat the entry color. (Red accents could be plants or accessories, or an adirondack chair!)

The white trim in most of the photos doesn't really work for me. I would want to bring out the black roof. If you have white windows and door trim that cannot be painted, you can make it work if the main body of your house is white. You can paint the surrounding wood trim the contrasting color.

If I had that house, I would want to make it something really special to drive up to, almost thematic.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, more colors:

I matched the red to the Hardie Country Lane Red I love so much. It came out close, ideally I'd like it closer:

whole house:

Jane, I'm not sure what you mean about the beige trim. Do you mean all the trim around the windows, or just the roofline?

The
    windows themselves are Marvin Integrity - its a white fiberglass
    exterior, the interior wood that we'll stain to match whatever we pick.
    Most the trim around the windows that you see will be painted.

Also,
    I love the red, just not sure painting the garage is the way to use it.
    From the beginning I've been attracted to the red garage, but won't be
    hugely disappointed not to have it if it just doesn't look right.

Unexpectedly, DHs favorite right now is still the white house with the red garage.

• Jane
    7 years ago

I was thinking siding could be white, cedar trim and faschia could be beige. The fiberglass that is part of the windows could stay white if you did not want to paint it. So only the thick trim would be beige. I have cedar trim around my windows and doors.

You could always vary this.

If you are afraid of the red paint on siding or trim, think about how you could introduce the color through landscaping and accessories: mailbox, furniture, cushions, a big chair swing, a vintage red truck! Garden flags, country or state flags, a flagpole! A basketball hoop, pavers that don't conflict with other finishes, a fire pit, planters, a wishing well, a gazebo, lawn ornaments, ....

Red door, red garage door, ....

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I don't like the red with your wood front entry. In the picture it is off. If you want to go with the red garage, then I'd paint the front columns.

The blue is nice, but to me it looks like it could be just a touch greener and grayer, but then again I'm looking at a photo.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The blue is SW 7624 Slate Tile - like the other colors, it came out lighter than I was expecting. I would also like it to be a bit greener and grayer, although after pouring over the entire SW fan deck, none of the other colors seem right. (They are all more saturated, not grayer. Maybe I'll look again.). I wonder if the samples are correct. (I forgot to hold up the paper paint chip samples next to what I painted. Will be back on site tomorrow).

Its interesting getting everyone's opinion, and kinda fun. They're all over the place. My mom thinks I should go full craftsman (or whatever you call this) like the catalog cover at the link below or the photo below:

http://www.vandykes.com/ecatalog/a/eCatalog/

Water's Edge, Lake Chatuge - Lakeview · More Info

I don't see how to create that look on my house, or if I even want to, but maybe. I don't think my architecture supports all those colors like that.

I love the red, and think it looks fine with the wood, but I am listening to you CP. I may go against your opinion, but I am hesitant to do so. Even though you are an internet stranger, you have a track record of good taste, and I don't trust my own:)

this look is the strong winner with DH:

Ridgeside Vineyard Farmhouse · More Info

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Am_e, you have to also remember I'm looking at a photograph and in real life, the red with the wood may look great. (I do like the red in the pic your mom likes) Each one of us has a color monitor that reads slightly differently as does how we photograph and the time of day.

So in reality, my opinion is only based on a photo on the internet and you might be right that the red works very well. That is why you created the sample boards because in reality, only you can choose.

Can't say I'm in love with the one your mom likes but only because of the separate color on top. I personally like the bottom part with the red with green/gray trim. I just don't like the top with the purplish/gray color on the shakes.

If you go all red, that feels more country to me than in the woods but I personally am also a fan of red with the gray green trim.

Do yourself a favor and look online at house exteriors. Look strictly for color and save any and all you like. After a while, you'll start to see a pattern emerge.

For example, the more I saved to my pages, the more I realized I had to do a green exterior on my house. :)

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

I think the blue sample you chose (second from left) is going to be too blue (and I love blue). Blue has a way of getting stronger when painted on a big scale (like on a house). I agree that it needs more grey in it. I do like the classic white on the house. We had a white house before, and the one downside to keep in mind is dirt really shows on white. What is the first sample (on left)? It would be helpful to know the actual SW colours you are selecting. Some of us have the fan decks to get a different read on the colour. I am not a huge fan of the red with the wood entry either (a bit clashy to me). CP is an artist, so she has above average colour eyes.

Carol

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

From left to right

SW 6200 Link Gray

SW 7624 Slate Tile (agreed on all counts - too blue)

HC-166 benjamin moore kendall charcoal - no direct SW color equivalent

SW 7012 creamy (the white)

the red on the garage is a custom match to Hardie country lane red

the two closest SW colors I could find to the red are

7593 rustic red
    7594 carriage door

But i don't like either as well as the hardie red color

I might also consider SW 7019 gauntlet gray (its a warm brown-gray) as a lighter version of the HC-166

CP - I don't really like that top shingle color either on that photo. My Mom actually likes this one below, but I couldn't embed the photo from the link - google imaged searched an found it:

apparently this is called arts and crafts style. My house style is not arts and crafts at all. I do seem to really like warm colors.

Also, yes, this is my object lesson in how the photos on the internet do not translate accurately. Close, but distinctly different. Time of day too:)

My problem (well, ok, ONE of my problems:) is that I like a lot of different looks equally well, with my favorite look changing regularly. I suppose what will happen is that whatever my current favorite is on the day/hour I have to make a decision is what I'll end up with. If it were reasonable to change house looks like outfits, I would do it. I'm like this at restaurants too. If there's a sampler platter, I'm there:) (fortunately, my inability to make decisions is limited to a few very specific areas of my life).

thanks to all who voice in with an opinion, the more the merrier.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

One other thought. With your clay soil, you may regret doing a white house.

• whaas_5a
    7 years ago

Link gray is by far my favorite and will go the best with your dark roof don't go too dark as it will start to looking too blendy

• Jane
    7 years ago

My house is white and it does not get noticably dirty. It has a six foot border of rock or pavers (for drainage) and grass beyond that. The white siding starts several inches above grade on 3 sides (brick on the front side).

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

So, I took a good look at several of the colours that have been written about throughout this thread (thanks for providing the SW codes so I could see them on my fan deck). Of all the gray's mentioned above, I think I like SW 6235 Foggy Day best, if you want a rich saturated colour. For a lighter grey, I also like SW005 Light French Gray (which has not yet been mentioned). The colour Downing Stone SW 2821 is also promising as a medium grey. I am not a fan of any colour that hints at army gray to me (looking at you Link Gray). If clay is a problem and will soil the white siding, I would be very cautious about white, although I do think the SW 7012 Creamy is a lovely colour and would be a classic look.

As per the photos with the cards lined up against the home, they all seem very light and washed out. Is it perhaps that the one small card is too overpowered by the base colour on the house? Perhaps if they were all against a white background that would be a better indication (maybe tack up a big stark white table cloth and put the colours in front). Would it be better to use one of the SW colour tools to try your favourite colours on a photo of your house? A whole house done in colour might be easier for you to see vs the single card against the base beige house (like what cp did for you earlier in the thread).

If I was in your situation, I would try to mock-up your favourite colours using the SW site, and then consider re-starting your thread with your top options on the home decorating forum. There are some colour experts there that rarely visit this forum. Discussing color is a very common topic there. Also, I would reconsider getting another professional opinion (e.g. seeing your designer again, a SW paint store colour expert if your store has that service, the Home and Color Coach that I linked above, etc). The cost of an hour from a color expert is certainly going to pale in comparison to having to repaint your house. The stakes are too high, not to mention that a slow decision will lead to delays.

Carol

• cpartist
    7 years ago

My house is white and it does not get noticably dirty. It has a six foot border of rock or pavers (for drainage) and grass beyond that. The white siding starts several inches above grade on 3 sides (brick on the front side).

Jane is your soil a clay soil because Am_e's soil is and that's the problem.

Perhaps if they were all against a white background that would be a better indication (maybe tack up a big stark white table cloth and put the colours in front).

That would not give a true indication of the color because you don't see the color in real life against white but against the sky, the ground, the grass, etc.

As long as you have gutters installed and a planting bed/foundation plants around your home, I don't think the clay will continue to splash up against white or any color.

Right now, there are not gutters, that I can see in the photos and of course, you have no grass or plantings.

I don't have clay soil so this may be the solution. Is there a way to check it out?

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

As per comparing a colour against a white background, that advice was straight from an online course I took with Maria Killam (a Canadian colour expert who runs colour training workshops throughout North American). She constantly advises against lining up colour samples against a coloured background like the prime colour of your house now. Perhaps she meant her advice just for indoor applications, but I did not think so. For artists like cp, it might not be a necessary step to have the white background for colour comparing.

When I was referring to the sample colours looking washed out, I was referencing the samples in the Sunday 12:51 post. In your second pic with samples, the colours are much darker. Did you tell us the names of the colours from the Sunday 12:51 post? I know you felt most of them were too light, but it would be good to see which colours have been ruled out.

Carol

• Jane
    7 years ago

We have clay soil, but it's not red, and there is not much rain. There is a lot of wind and dust. The swelling clay soil is the reason we have rock and paver borders to drain away from the foundation. We cannot plant close to the house. There is not much water to splash up onto the house.

I agree that landscaping and hardscaping is key, however if you have red clay duststorms then I would go with a color closer to the red clay. Unless you want to clean it which may not be as bad as it sounds if you have good paint. (I painted with roller and BM regal select, very thick, one coat.) I would not want to pressure wash often because the water would drain toward the foundation. It could be brushed off if it doesn't stain. Or you could consider painting bottom planks a different color.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, great discussion all. I love it!

First, yes, my house will have gutters, they just aren't installed yet. There will also be landscaping rock/gravel all the way around the house. At my current house, there are no gutters. There is a combination of mulch surrounding landscaping on the visible side of the house, and just a gravel bed on the back side. During heavy rains, even the dirt from the mulch splashes up on the house. The gravel side stays clean. Regardless, I'm not paying for any gravel or landscaping until the house is further along. There is still more finish grading and outside construction to do.

But yes, I have reservations about a white house. Partly because of mild concern over red clay dirt splash, and also because I had just simply never envisioned or wanted a white house. Its growing on me. I like how the black roof and front porch timbers look against the white house, and I think it goes well with the red garage, while really drawing focus to the front entry, despite the garage being barn red. The clean, monochromatic bright white actually manages to draw focus away from the red garage. I don't think a darker color on the house would do that, have that balance that the white and red do, although I really like gray and red together. The white and red also fit our somewhat pastoral setting, which is in the foothills with a mix of both farmland/farmhouse and mountain house aesthetic. Just not sure the style of the house really fits the more farmhouse look.

btw thank you so much for the examples lilysmom, those are great. very helpful.

First photo with the grays:

From left:

7673 Pewter Cast

2821 Downing Stone

7066 Gray Matters

6200 Link Gray

Second set of samples for reference

From left to right

SW 6200 Link Gray

SW 7624 Slate Tile

HC-166 benjamin moore kendall charcoal - no direct SW color equivalent

SW 7012 creamy (the white)

the red on the garage is a custom match to Hardie country lane red

(I brought in the hardie provided sample, and they tried to match it as closely as they could)

If I am going to keep looking for grays, SW 7019 gauntlet gray is a strong candidate

The Westfield - Fall 2013 Parade of Homes Model · More Info

Sometimes I still consider the blue grays, but I would need to find a different color than 7624 slate tile

here is an exterior with foggy day

Riverside Residence · More Info

I'm not sure that gives me this look, which is what I would want if I went blue:

another

Traditional Timber Frame - Custom Home · More Info

The blues I like are much less saturated. Mostly gray. Also note the lack of a light contrasting trim on the blue examples. If I went blue, this is how I would do it.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

As per comparing a colour against a white background, that advice was straight from an online course I took with Maria Killam (a Canadian colour expert who runs colour training workshops throughout North American). She constantly advises against lining up colour samples against a coloured background like the prime colour of your house now. Perhaps she meant her advice just for indoor applications, but I did not think so. For artists like cp, it might not be a necessary step to have the white background for colour comparing.

As usual I'm disagreeing with Maria Killam. She's good at what she does, but I dislike a lot of her dictatorial commentary on how things should be done. I stopped following her blog for that reason.

I realize she says it best to put the colors up against white inside a house. All well and good. Of course then the question is, what shade of white?

On the outside, color is NOT influenced by white. It's influenced by the green of the trees, the blue of the sky, and the color of the dirt surrounding it. It's also influenced by the time of day and which side of the house the color is on. So it may look more blue on the north side of the house, and more gray or green on the west side of the house.

First thing in the morning it may have a slightly pinkish cast to it, while at noon it may read washed out and in the late afternoon, it might have a more yellow cast to it.

Those samples need to be moved around the house and be looked at different times of the day and even in different weather. Then you pick the one that feels right to you.

Then once she narrows her choice down to 2 or 3 colors, she needs to then figure out trim color by painting a band about 4" across the top of her sample board to make sure the two colors will work well together.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

If you're interested in a blue gray you need to look at the grays with a blue cast to them. In large areas blues read much more intense and clean than on a small color chip. For example, many years ago I painted my son's room "blue". It actually was one of the gray colors on the chip, but when the whole room was painted, the room read as a light blue.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did not know that before CP, but I do now. My 7624 slate tile chip looks mostly gray to me, but it sure looks very blue in real life.

• whaas_5a
    7 years ago

Be careful with gray blue as it they will come off purple in certain times of the day.

For someone that did custom color matching for many years and develops color palettes for cast building materials you're getting excellent advice here!

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

At the bottom is an article on testing exterior colours by Maria Killam. I did not have time to confirm or disconfirm whether Maria feels white vs the current beige on the house would provide a better background comparison point. Cp is an colour expert in her own right, so you are lucky she is weighing in.

I do know Maria Killam is very fond of all white houses with black roofs. So she would likely vote for your white option (not sure about the red garage). Paying for an online consult from Maria is enormous $$$ -- but her advice and blogs are worth a read and they are free.

cp: Have you said what your favourite colour option is for am_e? I know you have good taste and a colour eye.

Carol

P.S. Wow, that foggy day looks blue in the house you found on Houzz.

http://www.mariakillam.com/how-to-test-exterior-colour-%E2%80%93-3-steps-to-get-it-right/

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Am_e care to message me?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Carol asked:

cp: Have you said what your favourite colour option is for am_e? I know you have good taste and a colour eye.

Thank you for the compliment.

I don't have a favorite for am_e because ultimately it's what she likes. I personally love all color and think there are a lot of good options above, but I'm not the one driving up to the house daily, and I also don't know what it looks like in relation to its surroundings. That's why it's so difficult to give anything more than general color advice online. In other words, we can suggest white, or red, or blue/gray, but the actual color number really needs to be seen in real life.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A few more test colors, along with previous colors:

left to right:

SW 6200 link gray

SW 7624 slate tile (mostly covered, too blue, kept up there for reference)

SW 6235 foggy day*

SW 2444 highland gray

BM HC-166 kendall charcoal

SW 7019 gauntlet gray

The 6235 foggy day really does not seem to match the chip to me at all. I don't like how it looks in person, still far too blue.

Despite the above, I agree with cpartist - I first need to pick a general scheme (do I want the white/red, blue/gray, or gray), and then I'll work on the specific color number to achieve that look. The specific color really does have to be done in person.

The blues in particular have really been very different than the color chip. I'm not sure how much of that is how the color is perceived in a larger format and in different lighting, or if the sample mix actually is wrong.

*The 6235 foggy day painted sample does not match the chip when viewed from any angle or distance. Its still far too blue, not gray like my inspiration photos below. (The small dot of sample paint on the top of the container does look close.) The blue grays are really hard to get right!

If anyone still wants to chime in with opinions on a general color scheme, I'm still listening.

As much as I love the idea of the barn red garage, the white and red are in third place today. I'm not in love with the white house, and I don't think the scheme really fits the style of my home. Perhaps if I had designed the architecture with that look in mind from the beginning I would do it.

These two are winning: blue/gray, and neutral gray or possibly brown/gray (not sure what to call it).

blue gray:

Traditional Timber Frame - Custom Home · More Info

Exteriors · More Info

brown/neutral/gray: (same house both photos)

Rivendale · More Info

Rivendale · More Info

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I like both that are in your running for now. Don't know how much time you have till you need to choose, but I'm planning right now on being in FL Sept 7-10th where I have all my fan decks. I can look then for you. Just remind me that week to look if you can wait until then.

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

Did you also try putting any of those colours into a colour visualizer to try to imagine the whole house painted that colour? Maybe cp will put in Gauntlet gray in (or whatever your leading choice is) on your house. It can help you imagine if the overall colour is too light or too dark. It won't let you know if the exact shade is pleasing on your site.

Carol

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update: Ok, so the winning inspiration photo is the gray rivendale house. Blue-gray is out.

Rivendale · More Info

Rivendale · More Info

On gray: I think it was cpartist who noted that gray is very trendy right now, and likely to become less popular soon. I'm somewhat annoyed by this trend, as I am claiming hipster status on gray. I liked it before it was cool, and I still like it. The gray trend gets a raspberry in its general direction. I do what I want.

Carol, I was about to take your suggestion and call the company for the inspiration photo above to see if they could give me the color number. I literally (not figuratively, I mean literally) had the phone in my hand, about to make the call, when I get an email notifying me that my question to them had been answered on houzz. How about that! True story. They gave me the SW color names for house (SW 7514 foothills) and trim (SW7512 pavilion beige). (I looked up the numbers based on the names....maybe that could lead to incorrect colors.)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/rivendale-craftsman-exterior-atlanta-phvw-vp~18641708

So, I went and got a paint sample, plus a couple more while I was there. Insert a 50 shades of gray joke here (no I have not read it):

morning above, evening below:

from left to right:

1) SW6200 Link Gray - definitely looks green, different from insp. pic but that's ok

2) SW7018 dovetail - one lighter than SW 7019 gauntlet gray all the way on the right

3) SW6004 mink

4) SW7025 backdrop

5) SW 7514 foothills**

6) SW 7019 gauntlet gray

** this is the problem with picking colors on the internet. I love the inspiration photo, and they claim the color is foothills. Foothills is very brown in person at my site and on my house, and I don't like it.

I like the creamy white trim at the roofline and soffit against the black roof and gray house. The problem is the inspiration photo has black windows, which I think really contributes to the success of the look. I chose white windows on my house a long time ago to go with a color scheme I no longer want, so now I have to live with that. If I paint a light contrasting trim around my windows, its not going to look exactly like my inspiration photo, but that's probably ok. Just pointing that out.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

On gray: I think it was cpartist who noted that gray is very trendy right now, and likely to become less popular soon. I'm somewhat annoyed by this trend, as I am claiming hipster status on gray. I liked it before it was cool, and I still like it.

If you liked it before and you still like it, then that is what you need to choose.

I liked shaker cabinets almost 30 years ago. In fact I loved them 30 years ago and still do. And guess what? My first house was a 1927 craftsman bungalow and had white subway tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms. And I loved them in that house, and I still love them. So guess what I'm doing in my new build? Yep shaker cabinets with subway tile.

Any of the grays will work with maybe the exception of the mink which appears to have too much red in it. Pick what you love. It will work with the white and the black roof.

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

Have you made in progress on picking your stone? That may guide you on the correct grey. BTW, it was Lily'smom who suggested you call.

Carol

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oops, sorry Carol and Lily's mom, I'm a bit terrible at keeping online handle's straight. I even tried to go back and look and still mixed it up:)

Good call on the stone. I've been waiting until I got closer with colors, I'll take the fan deck to the stone yard soon. GC needs my final choices anyway.

Yup CP. Its fun to see all the trends on houzz, but I find I'm still drawn to the same few things over and over regardless. I love seeing all the different styles and design choices, even when they aren't things I would choose for myself. I too have always liked shaker style cabinets, and may end up with a (not white) subway tile:)

I'll try to remember to post pics of the finished product in this thread. Still not sure when exterior painting starts. Very happy with our GC in general, but I've had to learn to relax about knowing exactly when things are going to happen.

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

Maybe Dovetail is the winner (depending on your stone choices). Here is a link that shows a house done in SW dovetail. The trim in the photo is White Dove by BM. I know White Dove by BM is very similiar to SW Alabaster.

Carol

house painted dovetail SW 7018

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I like dovetail.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My designer sent me these. The visualization definitely helps, but I'm still not liking the multiple colors. I'm sharing here in case anyone is interested:

Option A

Option B

Option C

Option D

Option E

I've also decided I really don't like the contrasting trim at the corners of the house (vertical) and the horizontal trim lines (under the gables and between the first and second floor). I think I will limit the contrast to the windows, roofline, and around the garage doors.

As far as actually painting the house - the GC has decided the quote from the first painting subcontractor was too high. He's getting another quote. I thought we would be painting shortly, but I'm guessing I still have some weeks. I'm fine with this, other aspects of the build are moving along nicely. Flooring starts next week, yay!:)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I am glad you don't like the multiple colors. It just breaks up the house and now instead of your eye going to the front door, it is instead fixated on the gable. Not what you want.

And I don't like the red garage for the same reason. I want to see the house and especially the front door first

And honestly, I can't say I'm a fan of that stark white color.

I think you are on the right track with what you want to do with the trim too. Now it's just a question as to which gray and which trim color you want.

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

Your plan is better than the designer's. I like the grey (SW dovetail) with off white (not stark white) trim. Did you make progress on your stone?

Carol

• zellycat2
    7 years ago

I know you're onto gray and most people don't like the idea of a red barn and a white house but you did mention it many times and I never saw it as a mock-up on your house. Maybe you could at least see it as a mock-up? I think it would look great.

I also really like the black windows in the gray house picture, I think that would work really nicely with your black roof, no matter what color you choose. Maybe a white house with black windows?

What about a wickedly dark but still vibrant navy blue? There's a house in my neighborhood that color and I think it might look good on your house, too.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm still at it ya'll.

My GC just met with a second painting contractor today, so I expect we'll get a quote soon. (Just in time for me to go out of town for a bit too.)

I've acquired a truly absurd number of paint samples, and now possess both sherwin williams and ben moore fan decks:) I would have done better to just choose from the limited Hardie colors. (tone is hard to convey on the internet, this is all in good humor, with me more or less mocking myself).

The good news is, I know what I want to do! (hurrah!) I found a new inspiration picture, and both DH and I went "aha, that's it." The previous photos are fine, but this is the one we both definitely like the best:

Burwood · More Info

there are a bunch more photos of this house here - http://www.houzz.com/projects/1042760/burwood-custom-home-grand-rapids-mi

I didn't think I wanted to go dark with our black metal roof, but there it is, the first color scheme we're both happy about. I think there will still be enough contrast.

They claim the color above is Ben Moore Kitty Gray 1589.

So, here are some samples:

Sorry about the mud splash, should probably clean that off.

From left to right:

1) SW dovetail 7018

2) SW gauntlet gray 7019

3) BM Kitty Gray 1589 *- the one in the insp photo above

4) BM quarry rock 1568

5) BM knoxville gray HC-160

So, internet house color support group, what say you?

Kitty gray does not look as vibrant (dark, saturated?) to me in real life or in the photos as it does in the inspiration picture. It looks more gray, as opposed to having some dark blue/green. However, I think I'm just going to stop thumb sucking and pick this color.

quarry rock has more green

knoxville gray is fairly saturated in real life. it really might be dark teal. maybe that's good, I dunno.

Then I have to decide a trim color, whether to paint a contrasting trim around the windows, and what color to paint the garage doors. Whew! getting closer:)

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ya'll, its finally happening. (*happy sigh*:) Exterior painting started this week. Its in process, and I don't have great photos, so here are some teasers. The camera is playing tricks with color as always:)

One last inspiration photo, the dark siding and khaki trim that really won me over (I didn't like the bright white trim on so many other photos):

Glendale Tudor · More Info

Final sample board, siding color on left, trim color second down on right:

Siding Color - Benjamin Moore Kitty Gray 1589

Trim Color - Sherwin WIlliams SW 7638 Jogging Path

the garage as of today

It looks like a different color than the sample on my monitor, but in real life the sample and actual color are much closer. (not really sure why this photo looks more green and sample looks more blue).

I really should wait to post a better photo, but I'm excited my house is moving along. I may even get to live in it one day. For once I'm not second guessing the colors, and I'm not nervous. All that thumb sucking over colors actually paid off; I finally landed on something I think is just right. Its looking great!

I'll try to remember to post a photo, before and after style, when painting is done. Landscaping won't happen for awhile (maybe spring), but that always makes things look nicer.

Thanks everyone, this thread contributed to me getting unstuck about what to do. *hat tip*

• atmoscat
    7 years ago

I hadn't seen your thread before today, but it was so fun I read the whole thing :). I just have to say that is a beautiful color. I was thinking you needed more green in your blue-grey and that is what you found! I like the trim, too. Congratulations!

• westbeachgirl
    7 years ago

I'll be watching closely as I'm facing the exact same dilemma. All the homework you have done is helping me tremendously! Thank you!

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

Wow! I love the colour you chose.

Carol

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone!

(insert the standard disclaimer about photos not accurately representing colors here.)

Exterior painting is complete! A photo of my sample board up against the house. You can see the color really is a bit different. (Its ok, I still like it).

I think the reason is this: my contractor specifies Sherwin Williams paint, but I picked a Ben Moore color. It seems reasonable to me that replicating one manufacturer's color by another will not always yield an exact match. Regardless, the house does not look as green to me in real life as it does in the photos (on my monitor at least).

An here it is! Despite putting in way too much time and effort into picking colors, in the end I'm glad I kept at it, as I'm really happy with the end result. Its the difference between "this will be fine," and "I really like this."

A couple more shots that maybe do a better job with the color:

As always, more here: https://amytracker.wordpress.com/

Now the question is, will we be moved in by the end of the year? I'm thinking probably January, and that will be fine:)

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

I love it. Excellent choice!

• westbeachgirl
    7 years ago

It looks great! I too will have to match up the colour using Sherwin Williams.

• Heniolder Williams
    7 years ago

That's fab.....in case of any confusions in choosing the right colour for the roof, this article ( http://www.royalyorkroofing.ca/blog/right-colour-for-roof/5-tips-for-choosing-the-right-colour-for-your-roof/ ) may be useful to you. This blog apparently says that choosing a colour for the roof juz for the exterior beauty is not enough but there are factors to consider before making that final decision which are :

• The climate you in which you live
    • Shingle colour coordination
    • The architectural style
    • HOA regulations

Here is something I found which can help you out in choosing the home siding color combination.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz