SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Light switch requirements

mtvhike
7 years ago

In the "Whole House light switch" thread, some interesting points were raised. So I don't hijack that thread, I would like to ask some things here.

It was pointed out that current code requires a) a light switch inside each outside door to turn on room lights and another one to turn on the required (?) outside light. b) lights for every stairway with 3-way switches at the top and the bottom for those lights.

Requirement a) explains why in my new vacation home, there were double boxes next to every outside door (I have 7). On the main floor, each of these double boxes had one switch for the inside and one for the outside light(s). For the unfinished walkout basement, the boxes were there and power run to them, but no switches (because that has to be finished). Question: there are no lights outside the basement doors and we really don't want them, but are they required?

For my main home, which was built in 1890, neither a) nor b) are implemented. I am planning to rent this house when we move to the vacation home full-time. Unfortunately, the Town of Brookhaven requires all rentals be fully code-compliant (no Grandfathering), so I am trying to bring everything up to code. I have rewired much of the house already (upgraded the 60 A fuse box to a 200 A breaker box, added necessary receptacles, etc.). However, there are several things I have been unable to do.

1) The first floor has two outside doors but the one to the rear deck has no outside light near it. My wife doesn't want one, but it wouldn't be too difficult to put one in.

2) The basement stairway has a single bulb over the top landing with a wall switch right next to the door, but none at the bottom.

3) The stairway to the first floor has no lights or switches, although it leads to a hallway with a switch at the top of the stairs (the stairway is open and no light is needed, in our opinion).

4) I added a light over the stairway to the attic with a switch at the bottom, but none at the top (this is an enclosed stairway, with a door at the bottom).

Because, to get a rental permit, I have to have a full inspection, should I correct these conditions or not?

Comment