SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unununium_5a

Blueberry plants - dig and amend or leave alone

Unununium
7 years ago

I have four blueberry plants that I planted this year. Two bluejay plants from one nursery that are doing ok, two rubel plants from another nursery that show signs of chlorosis (which were purchased as older plants). The soil pH is still close to neutral even after adding sulfur before planting. Prior to planting, I tilled in a bunch of leaf mulch and sulfur into the soil (in April). At the time of planting (May) I dug holes and added coconut coir along with cotton seed meal. I also added four inches of mulch on top. Since the lack of vigor seems to be either pH that's too high and/or too wet of soil, I'm wondering if I should dig them up and reamend this fall since adding another dose of sulfur (in early July) didn't seem to do much. Now, I know that digging them up is very disruptive... but I have to ask... Do I disrupt for now for better long term growth or leave them on the hope that it's just the first year that's a rocky start? Simply put, how do you determine when to dig and reamend or when to be patient? Thanks

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living