SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mebke110

Basement ceiling too low!

Husker Fan
7 years ago

We are to the point of HVAC installation in our walk out ranch. Our house has 9ft ceilings throughout. There is a hallway in the basement that has supply and return ducts above it. I stopped by today and found that they were framing out the ceiling below these ducts with 2x6s which will result in a 7'-6" ceiling in the hallway. This hallway will be between a 9' family room and 9' bedrooms. The spans for this hallway are mostly 6-8' with one area that is about 11'. I've talked to the contractor about switching out the 2x6s for 2x4s. They are looking into if this will work for the longer span. The framing can't be strapped to the ceiling because it is under hollow core. Hopefully, I can tap the knowledge of GW for other options that could be used to frame the ceiling and increase the height. Are there metal options that would be much thinner? Would it be possible to switch out the HVAC ducts for something that is twice as wide and half the depth? Shouldn't this allow for the same air flow? Thank you for any insight.

Comments (3)