SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

If you did IKEA - Last minute detail questions!

numbersjunkie
7 years ago

I'm planning to pull the trigger this coming week on my IKEA order, and I have some questions for those of you who have done IKEA-

I'm undecided about exact drawer heights and will probably just order the frames for now and use the gift card later to buy the drawers & drawer fronts. I was thinking I might want 5-5-10-10 in some spots. Neither the planner or the website show this as an option. Is there any reason why it couldn't be done?

The planner is giving me a warning about having a minimum of 17" height between counters and the upper cabinets. I have 8 ft ceilings and am planning 40" uppers with the cornice and light rail. The Bodbyn deco strip is 1-1/8" thick, so that makes the uppers 42-1/4" from the ceiling. (I realize this won't be exact because the ceiling won't be perfectly flat/level all the way around). The base is 4.5" + 30" + 1.5" for the counter, so total height of 36. So 8 ft = 96 inches - 36 inches - 42.25 inches = 17.75 inches. Am I missing something? Is the planner assuming the deco strip will be mounted differently to require the full 2-3/8 height?

We are planning to do our own framed bases instead of the IKEA legs. Most likely also our own toe kicks out of real wood and painted to match. For those who did this, did you use 2 x 4's? That would give a 3.5" toe kick instead of the standard 4.5", so maybe you shimmed them up? Or did rip 2x6's down instead of using 2 x 4's to get the standard 4.5" height? If there any reason not to go slightly less than 4.5" to allow a bit more height above the counter?

For anyone who used Bodbyn cabinets, are are the finished ends of the panels all slightly rounded on the edges or are any of then squared off? We may be using them to build an open cabinet and squared off exposed edges would probably look nicer.

TIA!

Comments (24)