SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allikamikaze

Tangled Hosta Mess

Allison
7 years ago

I was thrilled to identify the giant hosta. Now that I've identified at least one of them, I'd like to move all but the Earth Angel so they aren't as squished.

Unfortunately, this is proving to be very difficult.

It seems they've all gotten intertwined together and maybe even mixed with some tree roots too. I wasn't even able to move the little earth angel which was the least tangled up. Even standing on the shovel with all my weight (130+lbs),I couldn't break through the ground enough to move it. I'm sure I could enlist my dad's help to exert some additional force here but I'm kind of concerned about damaging the plants in the process.

Any suggestions for moving these hostas as gently as possible? :\

Comments (31)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago

I would first tape or tie the petioles together for ease of handling, remove every bit of mulch, stones, etc out of the way, water/drench the immediate area well, allowing it to soften/loosen up, then use a sturdy garden fork to dig all around the perimeter of the hosta. Less chance of ripping roots. Sounds like a shovel will be handy too to lift it out of the ground. You have tight quarters there but I also moved crowded hostas and even with ripping some roots, they all did fine.

By watering the hosta to be moved first, it allows the roots to pump moisture into the plant thereby decreasing some of the stress and dehydration that occurs after a move. It would also help if you really soaked the new hole where it is to be relocated and replant immediately.

My other suggestion would be to wait until spring...when it would be in pip form and easier to dig out. :)

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Do you have to move them this year? They are collecting strength for the winter and it would be better to do this next spring. Then you can divide them while still in the ground and move them easier. They look big enought to make more of them:-)

• Related Discussions

Tangling problem

Q

Comments (3)
    No secret, the untangled ones you see are probably just not growing as lush as yours are. When they are growing well they grab on to anything they can and that may not be what you want them to grab.
    ...See More

A big tangled mess

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes. I can't say how much it will do in your zone this year but cutting it back will not damage the plant. I would think it would have time to grow to full size and bloom but have never raised them in your zone.
    ...See More

What a tangled mess !

Q

Comments (2)
    I threw a bunch of seeds into my garden bed last year after I cleaned and dried my peppers. I have little pepper plants growing all around my tomato plants. They just popped up one day. I had no intentions of growing them in my raised bed. I usually plant my peppers in pots. I have no idea what they are. It's exciting to wait and see what they turn out to be. Tim
    ...See More

What a tangled web we weave, when we...renovate!

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks Patricia! I will start with electrician - when the currently-used (no pun intended!) electrical box was installed, the old box that it replaced was left there...and as to the telephone and other cable, and security system wires, etc...none are marked, so it's been a guessing game even for the technicians that come to work on any given system. I'm thinking maybe the electrician will be able to at least identify which wires are NOT his province, and point me in someone else's direction! I'd be interested in knowing whether most Houzzers' experience is that contractors working on renovations and additions remove the no-longer-to-be-used wires, cables, ducts, etc. when they install new ones...
    ...See More
  • zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

The garden fork will make a difference. Get a sturdy one.

[Heavy duty fork[(https://www.houzz.com/products/ames-4-tine-forged-spading-fork-prvw-vr~54113952)

• smorz
    7 years ago

Having a soil that compacts easily and is full of a combination of granite and brownstone rocks/boulders... I just broke my small, sharp spade shovel this spring. It has proven itself time and time again, getting into tough spots, through and around roots, and slicing into compacted soil. I also broke a prong on my garden fork :( ... which also has been invaluable using with the spade. I will be replacing both before I try to move another thing.

• Allison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I suppose I don't have to move them this year. They've been there 15 years or so, I've just been excited to improve the overall look of the area. If I can divide them and move them more successfully in the spring, I can probably wait that long. I will need additional advice on how to divide them at that point then too though

• Allison thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

personally .. i would move the ones on the cement porch .. and leave the beauty there ...

ken

• Allison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lol If only I could justify getting such big tools.
    Are you saying I should move the hostas onto the cement porch? Like in a container? Sorry, I'm confused, Ken

• Allison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

One hosta has been successfully relocated :)
    The green hosta (which I think may be royal standard and have been waiting for it to finish blooming to confirm xD) is in bloom, should it still be ok if I move it in the next few days?

Also, please let me know if anyone has advice for that little corner in general. I've been thinking that I will just keep the earth angel there so it can mature to a normal width and go from there.

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

Get it out and let that beautiful Earth Angel have some breathing room. That green one is so big you could gift the whole neighborhood with pieces. I think next year you'll be showing us your pride and joy Earth Angel.

• dg
    7 years ago

Yes, as others have stated, leave Earth Angel in place and remove the green one. You should be able to work the green hosta out from behind EA easier since there is a hole left from the previously removed hosta.

When finished with digging, pick up a bag or two of 'garden soil' to fill in the divots left from the removed hosta.

Keep EA watered well so it can settle after the disturbance around it.

Before you know it, your lovely Earth Angel will OWN that corner of the porch ;-)

• Allison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, I finally moved the big green one last night. It didn't go as well as the first transplant did. There were several tree roots (one particularly big) growing through the crown. As careful as I was, it broke into 5 pieces.

I tried to take a picture of the big roots but it's hard to see.

This is the biggest part.

Then, I ended up digging another bed for the other pieces until I can figure out what to do with them.

The one at top left is the next biggest "piece".

The others were much smaller. The smallest one completely flopped over. The other two actually looked somewhat different than the rest. The coloring is darker and they seem more corrugated. Maybe seedlings?

You can see the smaller tree roots grown into the hosta root system.

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Nice work! So I see I'm not the only one who can not throw away a single eye of a hosta :-) Please show Earth Angel again next year.

• Allison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lol Well thank you.

I will do that. I'm hoping that Earth Angel will grow all the way around instead of just on one side.

In other news, the smaller Earth Angel that I transplanted is doing well in its new location.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You documented this really well. It will be useful for
    someone else in the future. Good work!

I have a foot nerve problem so can’t put my full weight on a
    shovel. Doing as the others have suggested, but a good fork with a D handle is indispensable.
    It takes less force to get it into the ground. I will just go around and around
    as many times as necessary.

Moved some shrubs and hostas out of the way of a new decorative
    garden gate installation this year. I had both the shrub roots and the roots of
    the pine they are all planted under intertwined with the hostas. I started
    watering heavily daily a few days before. I did have to reach down into the hole
    and cut some shrub and tree roots with a lopper. Once the hostas were out, I
    dug out the hole further to get rid of the severed shrub roots.

Allison thanked linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

great taping ...

EA is awful close to that tree ... what kind of tree ... was it hard to dig there???

i would cut off the flower scapes ...

take the time to sharpen your shovel ... it REALLY makes a difference .... you listening linnea???

ken

• Allison
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you (I'm hoping you're being serious and not sarcastic lol). I actually had a hard time taping some of them but they aren't flopping so I'll take that as a good sign.

If you're talking about the transplanted EA, it's a pin oak tree. It wasn't too hard to dig there aside from moving the small river stones. The whole area around the pond is slowly being re-landscaped though so it's not a permanent location. I will probably end up moving it next season.

How does someone sharpen their shovel exactly?

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

From one female to another.... I use a rasp/file and sharpen my shovel by gliding it in a downward motion toward the end of the shovel (all along the cutting edge and similar to filing your nails - no back-n- forth, just in one direction which is away from you., turn shovel around and repeat on the other side. The men may have a better or more efficient way to do this. But my method makes sense to me and I get the job done, lol.

7 years ago

This is definitely archaic but if you have no file, find a stone that has heft, fits into your hand, with rough edges and use it instead. I do this to sharpen my garden edging knife (steak knife) when I'm in a hurry. Yeah, I'll get laughed out of this forum but hey, whatever works, right? ;-)

• beverlymnz4
    7 years ago

Love this thread - nice work. I'm glad you went ahead and moved it. I believe the best time to do work like this when you are motivated to do it.

Allison thanked beverlymnz4
  • Marie Tulin
    7 years ago

It is very rewarding to find someone who actually takes suggestions and follows through on them and reports back, complete with photos. I know I'm not the only one thinking 'good work' and you have all the qualities to be a great hosta grower!

Allison thanked Marie Tulin
  • Allison
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey everyone, I wanted to post a quick update about the area. The Earth Angel is emerging more slowly than my other hostas but it looks like it's doing okay at least. With everything else out of the way, it's clear that it's growing right on top of (and in some cases, intertwined with) the tree roots. In the 3rd picture especially, you can see how much more tight the area is compared to the surrounding soil.

Of course, it grew to it's current size without any help from me despite competing with the tree plus the royal standard and other Earth Angel. My question is, will this continue to be an okay spot for it?

4/20

4/26

4/27

5/1

• Allison
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also, the transplanted Earth Angel is coming up nicely.

• Allison
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just wanted to say that Earth Angel has expanded nicely and is looking good (despite deer eating a few leaves in the back). It seems to be okay despite the tree roots so I'm just going to leave it where it is.

June 5th

June 14th

6 years ago

Beautiful EA! And the beds!

Allison thanked josephines167 z5 ON Canada
  • whitewatervol (Z 8a/7b Upstate SC)
    6 years ago

Is that deer fencing?

• Allison
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, I think it's generic fencing (maybe this one) but we are certainly using it as deer fencing, yes. While we were on vacation, the deer began feeding habitually at that corner and so it's a temporary solution until we can find a more permanent one.

It's weird how they decide which hostas to eat. They completely devoured guacamole then started eating gold standard and then ate almost all of my tiny ambrosia and sagae. For whatever reason, they like eating THIS earth angel the least.

• whitewatervol (Z 8a/7b Upstate SC)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

"it's a temporary solution until we can find a more permanent one."

Hunting license? We thankfully don't have deer. I do, however, get to contend with rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks. They are all cute until they eat the garden and damage the house.

• Allison
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I live in front of a nature park. In recent years, the deer population has gotten extremely high. My dogs scare away most of the little critters but they are so used to the deer that they practically ignore them.