SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
think_sun

Would love some advice! Entering a new World.

Hi! I’m a tomato lover with some, but not a great deal of experience growing. I’ve grown successfully since elementary school, but not consistently. Life somehow managed to push gardening to the back seat more than I’d have liked.

The itch has had me with a vengeance this year, but again life had some fun with my gardening plans. This season is lost to me (long story!) – at least outdoors. But I’m hoping to try something inside. I’ve never attempted tomatoes indoors past the initial stages before plant out. That is, unless you count the cherry that took off running and climbed itself up and down my window while late frost kept me from getting them out on time. :-)

I’ve been reading up in the various related forums here and would like to check my plans and solicit your expert advice before diving in. Solid planning is everything, right?

First: Location

I have two sets of large south-facing double windows that would serve well. These are in the house proper and so kept to a room-temperature, more or less (quite a bit of sun there).

Second: Lighting

Clearly natural light is excellent, but just not adequate inside through the off-season. I suspect fluorescents will be the easiest to implement and would like your thoughts on T5s and T8s. Would vertical mounting be workable? I’d like to provide them opposite the windows. I’m thinking about a trellis set-up with the lights not far from the supports.

Third: Soil/Medium

Here I know very little. I’ve read up, but still feel unprepared to make a selection.

Fourth: Pot

What size would be easily attainable and large enough to achieve good results? I’m hoping to have multiple plants. I also need to be able to anchor the trellis to the pot or around the pot.

Fifth: Feeding

I understand a more rigorous feeding schedule is required for container growing. I’ve always used things more along the organic lines, I think Jobes Tomato is what I started this year with. Is it true that liquid is the way to go with containers? Any favorites? Do most of you switch from a higher N to a higher P after the initial growth?

Sixth: Trellis

I’m working on a design to maximize growing space on the trellis but maintain good lighting for largest area. I haven’t seen any pictures or designs. If you have one, I’d love to see it. I’m also curious how well the plants would take to being woven somewhat side to side as they grow upwards.

Seventh: The fun part! Varieties!

My kids LOVE the sweetness of cherries like Sungold and Sunsugar (more likely for us – I pack them in their lunches and don’t like the splitting of Sungold). They can be monstrous beasts and tons of fun. With trellis training, is it at all realistic to try one of these? If not, what else should we look at? They’ve also enjoyed Black Cherry quite a bit – but I imagine this one will be much the same in growing behavior. I’ve read up on the smaller cherry varieties, but haven’t seen anything particularly sweet for my kiddos.

My husband and I are fond of the Brandywine taste. Does Brandy Boy have a similar flavor? Can anyone comments on the Sudduth strain relative to others labeled Brandywine? I never did get to try that one. New Big Dwarf (are they really better in containers than others?) sounded tempting by some people’s write-ups, but Hudson’s monsters put the Dwarf name under a huge question mark. Does anyone have experience with container / indoor container growing for the Brandywine flavor? I’m not opposed to growing full-sized varieties, but I’m trying to stay realistic.

Husband mine loves the beefsteak style hybrids too. Alas, I can’t really keep them straight. Too many Beefs, Boys, and Steaks in various uses. Please help point the way.

I’d also very much love to have a Black in the mix. My Cherokee Purples were wonderful one year, though not especially prolific. Any thoughts on Black from Tula, Black Krim, Indian Stripe and Black Brandywine in containers? Other black tomatoes are welcome too. :-)

So that would make 4 plants. Plenty to take up the center portion of each of my double window locations.

Thanks for reading and in advance for sharing your experiences. If I’ve missed anything, please knock some sense my way.

-
G

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm