SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbella93

Help! Pothos Questions (Leaves turning yellow; should I repot)

sbella93
7 years ago

Hello,

I recently purchased a pothos from a Home Depot (just moved into a new apartment and it said they did well in low light with little maintenance). The plant has a few long vines, which is why I purchased it.

I'm new to pothos plants so I'm not sure what a "healthy" pothos looks like, but I'm having a problem with mine and I'm scared it's going to die and I want to know what I can do that's best for it.

So after I bought the plant I stuck my finger in the soil and noticed it was moist, so I laid off watering it for a few weeks. I tried again 2-3 weeks later and the soil felt much more dry so I watered it (thoroughly?) with the kitchen sink attachment (first mistake probably).

A few days later I noticed some of the leaves were turning yellow. I gently picked them off and hoped it was just one little fluke, but over the last few days more of the leaves have been turning yellow, and I started to freak out. Other websites have said it's likely due to overwatering so I continued to hope for the best. Most of the leaves are fine but I've been seeing more yellowing leaves at an alarming rate and I'm concerned the plant is developing root rot and is going to die.

Is there any advice for how I can still save it, and better monitor it's watering needs in the future?

Also, I noticed that some of the roots are sticking out of the bottom of the drainage hole and have formed an extremely intricate web within the soil. Should it be repotted to a larger pot? I'm scared to repot it because I've heard that can also kill the plant and that it shouldn't be done often, any advice on that would be great.

I don't have any pictures of the plant right now up close but I will upload them when I get home tonight.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)