SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpred

Burro's Tail repot massacre and other happier adventures in repotting

Christina M (zone 10a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So I have been meaning to get my hands on a burro's tail for quite awhile. For some reason in Houston, this was kind of challenging. I considered ordering online, but seriously this city has everything for everyone, even if it is tucked away somewhere. And I am too cheap to pay for shipping on something that is so fragile! So I waited.

Alas, on Sunday, I finally stumbled upon a moderately healthy BT! I've only been into succulents for the past 6 months or so, but after participating here (too often!) - I feel like I am leaps and bounds beyond my peers. I wish I took before pictures! I am disappointed in myself, but I mixed up my 5-1-1 the day before and I wanted to get right to work. I probably should have let my bark soak another day or two, but I was impatient and I will pay for it later. I used the reptibark, coarse perlite and coco coir (that 10 lb brick I got on Amazon goes so far!).

I typically try to let my new plants adjust to their new environment in my home, patio or deck for 2 weeks before I re-pot just so my new plant doesn't drop all of its leaves on the third day I have them. Totally cultural and probably not the best, but it makes me feel better? Maybe? Anyway, with these I really couldn't do that with. Some of Mr. Burro's leaves were yellowing closer to the base and the hanging pot it was in was really moist and really heavy and I suspected it to be very peat-based.

...Well, I took my wire cutters to the hanger and cut the plastic pot a bit to get my new friend out and he was definitely chillin in a ton of very soaked peat. I started losing leaves left and right. I was trying to be careful for the first half and kind of just gave up the second half of the job, knowing that these will probably grow back with all the love and FoliagePro I can give them down the road. A few of the broken longer pieces, I took inside to my low-light windowsill (awesome townhouse with useless windows in between the neighbors house that is only 2.5' away - thankfully they didn't put their windows and ours facing each other like some developers do here, I digress...) to callous over and I will place them in this planter that seems too big. You can see the string of bananas next to it, and I have some extra pieces callousing over to fill up that planter too.

I plan on keeping these guys outside under the eave of my second floor porch until it gets too cold, and then I plan on hanging them up in my home office that gets about the same amount of light during different times of the day. The porch eave gets pretty much all day light, but much stronger in the morning, and the office gets afternoon light. The string of bananas really thrived hanging in the office before I got to this re-pot.

So the BT was a struggle and pretty un-enjoyable to re-pot, but that string of bananas was awesome and really held up well during the re-pot. I definitely could have done a better job and asked my boyfriend to help hold it up while I did it, but it was a relatively young plant, and I probably would have cared more if this was a 10-year old heirloom or something. (I probably sound so unappreciative of my little plant squad right now).

In my second picture (I enhanced the brightness a bit because I took the picture when it was getting dark), you can see my other repotted babies. I got a few new ones at HD this weekend for $4/each and they were drowning in some peat (silver dollar jade, curly jade, p. afra variegated - didn't have any of these yet).

Someone bought me that echeveria on the left as a hostess gift for a dinner party we hosted - what a good friend!! Knows me well. The MIL tongue needed a repot because it started to outgrow its plastic container and was retaining too much water (surprise surprise). The Christmas cactus cuttings are from someone on Reddit/Succulents and that random pot with the haworthias and the 2 echeverias is just that, a random pot that I threw things in because I didn't have little pots on hand.

Then I had to re-configure and remove some that overtook what I planted in that long planter on the right. I bought that cute planter before I knew anything about succulents and planted all of the wrong things together. It could probably be completely separated into separate terra cotta pots, but right now I don't have the space. When it gets cooler here, I plan on making some nice shelving for these guys with the fancy miter saw I needed to have last year. I built a coffee table and a behind the couch table and then it became 100 degrees every day so that stopped and then I went really hard into plants, before that it was the occasional house plant for décor, not for the love of the plant.

Anyway, I must get back to work, but here are some shots of the squad:

Comments (4)