SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosegirlcentralala8a

Hello All

I have decided to post instead of lurk. I have read lots of posts here when I decided to try growing citrus in containers. Started with a cocktail tree in April, now I am up to 9 plants. Ok I am addicted.... I have 2 meyer lemons, calamondin, Lakeland limequat, 2 variegated pink lemonades, thorny key lime. All are planted in the 511 mix.

Nice to meet you.

Nancy

Comments (37)

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Hi Nancy! Welcome! Glad you decided to join in. We all love our citrus trees here. Show us your trees. We love to see them. Where are you from? Where do you grow them; in ground, in containers, indoor, outdoor, grow room, windowsills or greenhouse? There are a lot of citrus enthusiasts from the far north here as well as many from more traditional citrus growing areas and from all around the world. Sounds like you will fit right in with your rapidly growing collection. We hope you will share your growing experiences with us as we all learn from each other.

Cory

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
  • johnmerr
    7 years ago

Welcome. We can always use more friends here to help us learn from your experiences.

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked johnmerr
  • Related Discussions

Hello all

Q

Comments (11)
    Your set up looks great I am using shade cloth as I am also growing outdoors in Queensland Australia which has a sub tropical climate which is about 32c now with humidity. I must do something like yours. At present I am growing outside along two walls of my house which throws off ambient heat which I try to control by using shade cloth. The attached photo is my own improvised ebb and flow which I have been using successfully for years with tomatoes. The other side of my house has my Kratky floating raft with lettuce and several DWC containers with asian vegetables , and silver beet. In the far distance is my vertical system which I retrieved from under my house that I have not used for years, which I have also improvised in conjunction with my ebb and flow to flow back to the reservoir.Nothing growing at present but Bok Choy etc do very well except growing with tomatoes is the incorrect nutrient strength so maybe next crop I will figure something out.
    ...See More

Hello all! No plant id came with this.....what is it. Thanks!

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, some sort of dark leaved, hardy, upright sedum (now Hylotelephium). There are literally hundreds of cultivars.
    ...See More

Hello all, I’m looking for some ideas to creatively decorate

Q

Comments (29)
    How about using it as a chalkboard wall? I like the idea of having the chalkboard framed on the wall so it looks more like a picture than just a whole wall of chaulkboard paint.
    ...See More

Hello all. Looking for a suggestion on breakfast dining set up.

Q

Comments (3)
    It goes centered under the fan across from the kitchen, I would HIGHLY recommend replacing the fan with a chandelier much better and will delineate the room. There are fans everywhere so I assume you live in a place you need the airflow, otherwise, I would say replace both of them.
    ...See More
  • hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Hi Nancy, welcome! Would you consider putting your garden zone into your name? That is always helpful info.

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
  • Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, Cory

I live in Central Alabama zone 8A. All my citrus are in containers. I live close to Lake Martin with red clay and rocks with limited space in the yard and you need an auger to dig the ground .:) I had all my citrus on the front porch, the sun is scorching so I moved them to a small back deck that is in partial shade. I will post some pictures and soon as I can figure it out. I am using foliage pro and vinegar every week my CRF is Dynamite. Glad to meet you.

Nancy

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi John, Hi Hobby. I am in Alabama Zone 8A

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will try to post some pictures soon

Thank you all for a warm welcome.

• User
    7 years ago

Hi Nancy and welcome. My addiction only became serious about 6 months ago. Before that I grew a few trees. Including an almost 40 year old calamondin. I now have about 20 varieties and a total of about 30 trees.

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked User
  • Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I saw the pictures of your 40 year old calamondin. Very impressive Vlad. If i had the space I would have lots of citrus varieties. I was a member of the American rose society and I had 250 rose bushes back in 2005 I divorced and the rose bushes went with the house( I still grow roses, I only have 8 bushes now at my new little place. I look forward to learning all about citrus with everyone. So glad I am not a lurker anymore.

• User
    7 years ago

Wow. 250!!!! I tried growing roses but could not deal with the constant battle with fungus and Japanese beetles an finally gave up.

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked User
  • Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A challenge for sure Vlad. If you have time look at Helpmefindroses.com type in Nancy's Alabama rose garden my pictures are posted there.

• calamondindave
    7 years ago

Welcome, Nancy! 250 rose bushes? Wow!

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked calamondindave
  • Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, Dave yes I know 250 bushes was crazy.....

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Welcome Nancy! More addicts to add to the club....excellent! That garden looks incredible! I love roses, but like you, have very limited space and that is devoted to growing things we can eat and the citrus. I don't even know how many I have now...I'm afraid to count! I know I have more on order but have not broken the news to my kids...lol! We are very happy you have decided to join us!

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Nancy...can you do me a favor? After you post the pics of your citrus...can you post a pic of some Spanish moss for me? I grew up in South Florida and did my undergraduate studies at UF...I miss the big oaks with moss so much up here!!!

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

HI, Laura I will post my citrus pictures possibly tomorrow it is storming today. I would buy more citrus if I knew where to put them for winter. I am in Alabama not sure about the moss. I am going to post pictures of the Mulch company where I purchased my bark. I looked for bark at the stores with no luck. So I went to the Much company 5 miles from my house. 15.00 a truck load..Since I did not have a truck these sweet men shoveled 5 gallon buckets up for me to haul in the back of my toyota!! I made 4 trips. They have it in different stages of decomposition. Will post you guys pictures as soon as I can.

Nancy

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Don't you have the moss that hangs from the trees there? Perhaps you are too far north in Alabama. Well, the citrus pics will do ;-)

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't have any but I sure will look

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

key lime
    varigeted pink lemon
    lakeland limequat
    calamondin
    varigated lemon
    meyer lemon
    coctail tree

Pitiful looking meyer

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Nice looking trees Nancy. They look like they are doing well. The Meyer will probably adjust to being outside and a different light level soon.

Cory

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hope so Cory. Dropped leaves. I took off two lemons and left 2

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Nancy, your trees look great! That Meyer will perk up in no time. Are those the pots you mentioned in you other post? They are beautiful!

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Laura! Got to get more pots!

• calamondindave
    7 years ago

Nice size trees. Does the calamondin have any blooms or fruit? Your rose pictures are beautiful! I'm still floored by 250 bushes. Something tells me 9 citrus trees won't be enough real soon. ;)

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked calamondindave
  • Die (pronounced Dee) Oma (7b - VA)
    7 years ago

Nancy your trees look exactly like some I just got from Lowes. Same exact tags anyway. Yours look very good and healthy.

Nancy(Alabama 8A) thanked Die (pronounced Dee) Oma (7b - VA)
  • Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dave, yes Calamondin has few fruit and is blooming constantly and smells great. Your right I will buy more trees, thinking I might use my office building for wintering citrus)))

Hi, Dee yes I got those at Lowes. I have the one Meyer that looks bad from a nursery called Petals from the Past they sell citrus here and they have orange trees planted in ground too. Meyer is in a tree form, it had severe Leaf miner damage they don't spray for pest I don't think. Anyway tree dropped all its old leaves I have removed some fruit and leaves sprouted. I am thinking to leave just one might improve its looks.

7 years ago

I've been pinching off all the fruit and my Calamondin keeps blooming. I know it's much too young to really produce fruit but I pulled off about 2 dozen little green oranges already and it keeps putting out more lol

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Same here

7 years ago

Nancy did you leave your trees in the sandy soil they came in? I've put a few in the 5-1-1 and left the rest. I'm not sure if I'm going to switch them all. Maybe I'll do an experiment and keep half in the original mix and the other half in the 5-1-1.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Be careful with that! Will you bring them in for winter? I did that with a tree I bought in Jan and it almost died.

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My first Meyer I got from the nursery was in a 5 gallon nursery pot, just came straight out of their green house the roots were coming out the bottom of the pot. It was root bound. I cleaned off the soil it was potted in(mostly bark) and I was successful with it in 511 mix. The Cocktail tree did great too. Then I did kill one Pink lemonade it was small with out many roots . I tried to remove the soil from around the roots, washed it with the hose. Potted it in 511 mix and it never recovered it died after 3 weeks in the shade . After that fiasco, I decided to try something different with the Calamondin and limequat. I remove the sandy soil off the top around the feeder roots and bottom half up to the root ball, I then then potted in the 511 mix, they seem to be doing good. I am getting more of these foam pots this weekend and plan on trying to pot up on Sunday the key lime and the other varigated lemon. Its not that easy, my trees from lowes were under a sunscreen, I did'nt know any better took them home and put in the sun and they had burned leaves. One of my trees still wiltes at the top everyday!!

Try it and see may work out ok if you don't water it too much this winter.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Nancy, I do the same thing...remove the loose soil up top, then remove as much as I can from the root ball without doing tons of damage. I just did this with two new ones. They were planted in a very coarse mix - much like 5-1-1, so what was left there does not worry me much. However, the tree of mine that suffered was in very dense soil. It is not finally doing well, but it too two repotting sessions - one with a major root cleanse and pruning because parts were rotting.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

I don't think it is good to have two different potting mediums in the same pot, especially the finer stuff around the roots that will remain denser and wet longer and possibly cause rot. The potting medium will not dry out evenly. Around the roots you need the airy spaces of the 511. I bare-rooted 9 large plants this week and all are doing well, not a bit of wilting. I used the hose to get off the old medium. I pre-soaked the bark overnight. It takes bark a while to absorb water so you need to soak it overnight. You don't want to let bark completely dry out as it is hard to get it to absorb water once it is completely dry. When you water, the water will run right through the pot without the bark absorbing enough of it. It is like when a high sphagnum mix dries completely and pulls away from the sides of the pot it is almost impossible to get the mix wet enough for the plant's roots to absorb water from it. It just shows more with those lite mixes than the bark mix, but it is the same thing. I watered my repotted trees very well after the repot so there were no air pockets. The force of the water draining through the pot will carr the potting medium to fill in any air pockets. Make sure you have many holes in the bottom of your pot so that the water flows through quickly. When potting up work the 511 mix from the sides of the pot and push it towards the center. If you have a potting stick that can help you get all the medium around the roots so there are no air pockets....or use your fingers and work the medium from the sides toward the center to fill in those air pockets. I mist the leaves every few hours the first day or so if I see any wilting. It is good to pick a cloudy, slightly cooler day to repot, and keep the roots moist as you work. If sunny and hot, work in the shade. After the repot, keep the plant in a shady spot and gradually move it to more light over a few days. I used to be afraid to bare-root the trees too, but they really do much better when you do it. If you are going from 5-1-1 to new 5-1-1 and the older medium is still good, you can up-pot to a larger pot, especially if it is late in the growing season. Otherwise, the complete bare-rooting is much better in the long run. The plants usually take off in the fresh medium if you do the repot when the plant is in active growth. Don't repot when plants are not actively growing unless the growing medium is so poor that the roots are starting to decay.

Cory

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Cory, I will try it again. I have plenty 511 mix. How much CFR would you use in a 5 gal bucket of 511 mix??

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Beautiful roses Nancy! I ran out of CRF for this re-potting so I forget. I will just scratch some in the top when I get some more. I just use what the instructions say.

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Gotcha. Walmart has marked down osmocote plus to 7$ grabbed a bottle last week

• Nancy(Alabama 8A)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Jinny thanks for the compliment glad to be apart if this citrus loving group. Look foward to talking to you. Nancy