I was beginning to replace a 4-prong cord on my dryer with a 3-prong cord. Before I started and hooked everything up I wanted to verify the new cord would work so I thought it would be smart to check by plugging it in. This was not smart. It sparked badly and the three brass connectors at the back end of the cord were blackened and slightly melted around the edges. My questions are 1) Did I do permanent damage to the outlet? 2) Did I do permanent damage to the new 3-prong cord or is it okay to hook it up to the dryer and use it still? Thanks!