SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepatty

Replacing front door: Why not wood?

maggiepatty
7 years ago

I hated the front door previous owners had installed on our house--it was a frenzy of beveled glass and swirls much too ornate for the style of our 1969 split level home.

When I went to the door store to replace it, all the wood doors came with dire warnings about how they couldn't be exposed to sun/rain/cold/heat or the warranty would be void. I thought that was ridiculous for exterior doors and the saleslady at the door store acted like I was a fool for saying so.

I got cold feet and was on the spot to pick something out and I picked out a fiberglass door with four small panes of glass at the top, and I have regretted it ever since because it leaves our foyer quite dark and I can't see who is at the door without going to another room and peeking out the window. So silly of me not to realize this before I chose it!

So I am on a campaign to replace it again. Several homes on our block have doors that are what was probably the original stylefor our house as well. I'm including a photo from the internet of the style of door, only around here they are all painted. Anyway, I'd like to have this kind of door so I could see who is on my porch, and I could have houseplants in my foyer. I would prefer to have a wooden door because prior to this fiberglass fiasco, that's what I've always had. There is a four foot portico over the front door. We live in Kentucky, not Minnesota or Phoenix. Shouldn't it be possible for me to have a wooden door? Should I just buy one of the doors that comes with the dire warnings and figure that it'll last 20 years and that's all I really need it to? What would you do?

Comments (22)