SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Which exterior light fixtures fit house style? Please help me choose

ontariomom
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

So we are finalizing the last of our exterior choices on an enormous house addition/remodel project. We have ordered the glass railings for the exterior deck, and they will be a grey colour to match the window trim. The photo below shows the house with the deck railings and step hand rails photoshopped in as well as the chosen colour for the garage door mock-ed up. The house, also shows a coach light photoshopped in. DH just used any old coach light so we could visualize it.

Please make suggestions as to the style of coach lights you would recommend. We need one on either side of the 8 foot front door, 1 beside the man garage door, and one on either side of the garage. There will also be some exterior can lights on the front. For example there are two can lights over the small stone porch at the front door. The lighting has also been roughed in and sided around, so no changes to the position of lights is an option. I was wanting to go for a oil-rubbed bronze colour for the exterior lights, but that is negociable.

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (40)

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are four options that I found. The first three I found on Lighting direct.com, and the last one I saw in a lighting store that was going out of business.

Below is Option A:

Maxim 3152CDWSBZ Bronze / Seedy And Wilshire Glass 1 Light 11" Tall Outdoor Wall Sconce from the Bungalow Collection

• Overall Height: 11"
    • Width: 5.25"
    • Extension: 6.75"

Below is option B

Sea Gull Lighting 85008-71 Antique Bronze Largo 1 Light Outdoor Lantern Wall Sconce

Item #: bci278799

• Height: 11.25"
    • Width: 7" (measured from furthest point left to furthest point right on fixture)
    • Extension: 7.75" (measured from mounting surface to furthest protruding point on fixture)

Below is option C

Quoizel SNN8409PNFL Palladian Bronze Stonington 1 Light Title 24 Compliant 16" Tall Outdoor Wall Sconce with Clear Water Glass

Item #: bci2621248

• Height: 15.5"
    • Length: 10.5"
    • Shade Height: 9"
    • Shade Width: 7.25"
    • Width: 9.5" (measured from furthest point left to furthest point right on fixture)

Option D (Below)

We also found one option at a lighting store in town that was closing.

Here is a photo of that light. We would have to find more than one elsewhere, as there is only one left at the store that is going out of business. This light is made by Progress lighting. The dimensions are:

Width/Diameter: 6-3/8"
    Height: 12"

Would any of these lights work with the exterior home style. Our interior home style is transitional, but I have been told that the exterior reads more contemporary. We want the chosen lights to fit the style of the house exterior.

Also, what size of coach light do you recommend for the front door which is 8 feet tall. What about the 18 foot wide garage door. Here is a zone in of the front door. You will see that the width available is not generous. The coach lights are to go on the right and left return walls in the siding.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I like B (first choice) or C. I like A ok, but the glass looks amber and maybe it's not. Not liking the curves of D for your home. Have you checked the output wattage on each? And I'd make sure none will extend too far out/too low so someone doesn't hit their head on the fixture by the front door. Maybe it's just a bad photo angle and it will be high enough.

• Related Discussions

Help me choose colors for house exterior redo

Q

Comments (2)
    I like the shutters on the top windows but not the bottom picture windows. I would take off the paneled-style detail under those windows and then perhaps install wider, shorter shutters that are the same height as the windows and flowerboxes under the windows. The siding looks like it's a mustard yellowish color and isn't complimenting your pretty brick. Have you thought about a cream or off-white color for the siding and dark umber or black shutters? You could paint your front door red - I've always loved houses with white siding, black shutters and red doors!
    ...See More

Help me choose exterior color scheme on my house!

Q

Comments (10)
    Lori, including the stone veneer? Yep. That's what the Romabio product is for. Using the same color, you could go several shades darker and use that color for the dormer, front door area, the peaks, and the garage and any secondary doors. These colors will be custom mixed colors. I absolutely never recommend custom mixed paint colors exterior unless you have no choice and they are on the lighter end of the value spectrum. You don't have a choice and luckily the vinyl you are matching is on the lighter end of the spectrum. I prefer to specify stock paint colors that have been properly measured for LRV and tested for light fastness, etc. You don't get that scientific backup with custom mixed colors.
    ...See More

Please help me choose Ellie Cashman Wallpaper style for powder room

Q

Comments (65)
    Not everyone can afford "mistakes"! You can only have so many stars in a room, or all will beg for attention . If you love your flooring, faucet , mirror and light!? Paint the walls a glossy deep gray! Go buy some oversized / peony art for the wall! There are MANY ways to make a beautiful powder room, and infinite ways to combine too many elements taken out of their context....... And cry real $$$$.
    ...See More

Undersized Foyer light dilemma please help me choose a fixture!

Q

Comments (33)
    I think I have found a solution. I can’t find anything in the chandeliers or wall sconce lines that I really like or would mesh the two. I’m going to buy this fixture that is very discounted and switch out the shades with something like this and possibly dangle a few crystals from it. Then is will marry the glass sconces and the silver chandelier. It is appropriately sized and looks more like a foyer fixture imo. I also have a Casablanca ceiling fan in the middle of this room and plan to use the same type of crystal shades on its light bulbs.
    ...See More
  • ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks OutsidePlaying very much for your input and votes. The coach lights near the front door will not be near anyone's head as the door is very tall 8 feet, so we will mount the coach lights quite high too. If you look at the door photo, you may be able to see the rough ins are near the top of the door, just before the transom starts. I believe it is the photo angle that is throwing things off.

I will read some more on option A to see if it is infact amber.

What sizes of lights do you recommend? Most, if not all of these options, come in a variety of sizes. I assume the front door and car garage door ones should be larger, and the single one near the garage man door (which is a standard height door) should be smaller. But, how large for the car garage door and tall front door?

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

Hi Carol, the driveway and walkway look great!

I think I would go more contemporary than the fixtures you posted, but that's just me. Would something like these be too contemporary for you?

http://www.modernforms.com/products/274

For size maybe tape up pieces of paper or cardboard and see what looks right.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just looked up more description on option A to investigate the comment on the light looking amber. Below is what it said:

• Includes cream inner glass and clear seedy outer glass
  • ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Oaktown! Thanks for your comments on the driveway and walkway, and for your light suggestions too! I believe you have helped on other house decisions I have wrestled with. I do not normally gravitate towards lights as modern as you show. However, as stated, I want the light fixtures we choose to complement the exterior of the house. If the house exterior is asking for modern, than modern we will choose. Of the choices you posted, I like the skyscrapper one. Here is the link to the image of the one I like best from your link. Do you think an oil rubbed bronze is the way to go for the light fixtures?

Please add this skyscrapper light fixture to the choices. We can call it choice E. I cannot figure a way to insert just the image so it is linked below.

skyscrapper light fixture -modern

• Olychick
    7 years ago

skyscraper:

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

Oops sorry I meant those just as examples in the direction of contemporary, not particular ones. Kichler and Hinkley Lighting both have pretty large selections of outdoor sconces. Maybe take a look at Kichler Toman, Sorel, or something like Portman Square without the extra doodads?

What will your railings be, painted metal? painted wood?

A caveat that my process for choosing fixtures probably is not typical or efficient -- I spent an inordinate amount of time looking at outdoor fixtures. Hope you don't mind me weighing in anyway.

Good luck!

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Olychick for posting the photo. I could not figure out how to do that. Care to share what you did to copy that image?

Oaktown: The railings are very nice aluminum painted railings (factory painted a grey to match window trim). The will have clear glass. We had to go a higher end aluminum railing to get the colour we wanted. I will check out the Kichler lights you suggested as well as Hinkley. I probably saw most of those lines as I searched a wide selection of lights on lightingdirect.com. , but plan to have a second look.

Carol

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

Is the house number also photoshopped or is it installed?

Wondering what are you planning for your mailbox?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The house number is a number brick piece (keystone). It is installed.

We have not yet made plans for a mailbox. It is less essential as we have a superbox down the street. Although, still a mailbox serves the purpose of a spot for flyers and a twice weekly community newspaper. Any ideas where we might put a mailbox?

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just thought more about the mailbox. Our family entrance will be through the garage (either the car door or man door) as we have a mudroom off the garage. So maybe the mailbox should go near the man door as opposed to up the stairs to the main door?

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I found one more I like. Let us call this option F

Z-Lite 531S-ORB Oil Rubbed Bronze

• Height: 10.25"
    • Width: 6" (measured from furthest point left to furthest point right on fixture)
    • Extension: 7.125" (measured from mounting surface to furthest protruding point on fixture)

I would love some votes on which lights you like the best for our house. I am open to other suggestions too. Please weigh in.

Carol

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

Do you have a close up of the house number keystone?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sure, I can take one. Are you planning to put one in? We got ours from the same supplier that sold us the bricks.

Carol

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

I think it would be nice if the lighting harmonizes with the style of the house number. I did not notice the number at first when I commented about going more contemporary.

The keystone is a nifty idea.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I like choice F too. If it comes in a slightly larger size for your garage it might be your winner. It seems more transitional than going either contemporary (E) or craftsman (B and C).

You might try taping up a small cardboard box with the approximate size of the light and taping it to your house to get an idea of size and scale against your house. You could see the larger ones on either size of the garage and by the front door and a small one by the garage entry. I meant to say how much I like what you've done with the outside.

As for a small mailbox, I'd put it by the door into the garage. I don't think I'd want a bunch of people walking up the stairs to your main entry door if it could be avoided.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Oaktown. Good point about the number keystone needing to harmonize with the coach lights.

Here is close up of the keystone

@Outside: I appreciate your kind words. I like choice F the best too. It comes in three heights: 10.25 inches, 14 inches and 15.75 inches. There are even lanterns available if I wanted one of those on the front?? These lights (choice F) are also on sale until Sunday -- so a quick decision will save me money.

ALL: Here are two close ups from of my front door, as well as coach light F so the door and coach light can be seen together. Please ignore the OSB and ladders behind the door. We had to board up the door until we get the hand railings installed. It you click on the middle door picture, it will enlarge and show more of the door. The second photo one was taken from inside the house in poor lighting (so door looks blacker than IRL), but it shows that part of the decorative glass is frosted sort of like the frosted coach light F. It is hard to be sure the brown stained door will look okay with the finish on choice F coach light.

First, here is coach light F again so it can be seen closer to the door.

Somewhere, I have read that there are guidelines as to how big a coach light should be (depends on factors such as door height, and others). I will see if I can find that reference. I am not sure balloons, or cardboard will help me choice the size, but I can try.

Now, if I go ahead and order 5 of these coach lights for the front of the house, do you think that is too matchy, matchy or would the same coach light be the only choice for those 5 that I have roughed in at the front of the house? I was thinking the medium size for the two at the car garage door, two medium for each side of the front door, and one small one for the man door.

Carol

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Yes, I think your sizes make sense. I would still mock up a box with the medium size and put it next to your front door and garage just to make sure. The small should be fine for the man door, but again a mock up would give you more confidence before you order.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks OutsidePlaying,

I was researching recommended sizes for coach lights. It seems most people, especially builders go way too small. The recommendation is to go 1/4 the height of the front door. Given our front door is 8 feet tall, it looks like we need to go the largest size (15.75") for the front door (which is well under 1/4 the door height). Research that I have read also encourages having the largest and most spectacular lights near the front door. So I am now think I will do the following:

2 of the 15.75 inch high ones for either side of the front door

2 of the 14 inch high ones for either side of the garage door

1 of the 14 inch one for the man door. The man door is still the standard 6 feet 8 inch tall, so I think the shortest light at 10.25 inches may be too small for the man door.

We also need four outdoor fixtures across the back. Do I do the same kind of light there or risk over kill having all one style.

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

Does A come in a bigger size? Our lights have the double glass with the white inside glass and it's a nice soft light.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks mayflowers for your vote. Choice A was initially my favourite. However, when a comment was made about the light looking amber, I became concerned the cream inner glass might not work well with the colours we have going on in the exterior (no cream anywhere else). Choice A does not seem to have the option of a white inner glass vs the cream. It does come in three sizes, so yes it is available up to size 16 inch tall.

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I also found another option at a lighting store. It is much more frosted than option F.

Here is option G lit up.

Here is option G again with the lights out (likely a different size too).

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

While we are buying coach lights for the exterior, I also need to get them for the back. Below is a photo of the back of the house. I had initially thought to go with a coach light on either side of the back double doors, and some other kind of light (not a coach lantern) for the end spots. Having four coach lights across the back seemed a bit too much. Do you agree? If so, what kind of light would you put on the end spots in the back that might go well with some of my favourite options above (e.g. option F)?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is another Z-lite one. It is from the Mesa collection. It has an inner glass, that looks white. The shape is similar to option F above.

Let us call this option H

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

I like G and H.

What are you trying to illuminate with the lights in the back? The yard? Find the door? Are you planning to put in a patio or walkway?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Re: the coach lights for back of house

So, I searched with no success for a different style outdoor sconce that might look okay with two coach lights for the back property. I am starting to conclulde, that for the back property I will need four of the same kind of coach light. How will this look?? Do I go for four of a medium size (around 14 inch high) or do I do two medium ones by the door and two smaller ones (around 10.25 inches on either end)?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Oaktown,

Thanks for your lighting vote. The back has plenty going on. There is a large cedar climber, a circle of armour stones that serves as a patio/seating area, a zip-line, BBQ etc. The coach lights will light the house though. As you can see we have roughed in for four coach lights in the back, so there is no turning back as the holes are in the brick. I do think it will make the back look nice and give some general light while using the back too.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The only options I could find for the end positon of the back property that might combine with two coach lights on either side of back door was the follow flush mount. Less noticeable than coaches, but provides ambient light in the area. There is also the option of wall washers with look like metal boxes or cylinders (very modern).

Option I for back of house (outer wall position, combined with two coach lights)

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

I like H.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks mayflowers. Go figure H (which I certainly like too), is the most expensive. Do you have any opinions on what to do about the four back of the house lights? All the same coach lights across the back or something else.

Carol

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

I would do all the same for the back of a house.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Mayflowers,

Thanks for the thoughts on the back. It is hard to find flush mount wall lights that complement the coach lights, so getting four coach lights solves this dilemma for the back. Would you have all four at the back of the house the same size, or possibly make the ones on either side of the doors larger? What size would you imagine in the back (Small 10.25 height, or medium 14" height or large 15.75 inches tall)?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So, I have just found a version of option A with a white inner glass vs the cream (Maxim Terrace). This is an LED light. The price is not too bad; they are less than the Z-light ones (option F and H). Maybe something like this works for the back, as I still think I like the tapered ones from Z-light for the front (option F and H). The image below appears black, but it is available in oil rubbed bronze (just not in an image I can copy).

Option J (maybe for back of house)

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wondered if I could please get a few more opinions on the back of the house?

If I do the same coach light in the four spots on the back of the house, do I have them all the same size or have the ones on either side of the door larger?

Or, do you prefer the look of two actual coach lights on either side of the door, and two flush mount style sconces (see option I six posts above this one) on the far ends of the back?

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, we ordered our coach lights today. We will soon order some for the back of the house. Here is what we chose. I appreciate the assistance given.

The one below is for the front of the house. It is in oil rubbed bronze -- much browner than in the picture. We ordered two larger ones to go beside the front door, and 3 medium ones (2 on either side of garage door, an one at the garage man door). We concluded that we need coach lights that did not extend too far (not deep ones), so we had to go a different direction. These lights have built in LED lights. The lights are made by Artcraft.

Here is the ones we are ordering for the back of the house. There are 4 total along the back which is all one plane (not jogs out).

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

Is that any of your original options? Looks slightly different. I like it.

Did you ever finish your kitchen?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You are correct that it was not one of our original choices. We had to go a different direction when we realized that the coach lights we were considering would stick out too far and visually block a bit of the front door. The recessed entry is narrow. As per our kitchen, all the RTA cabinets are still in boxes in our home under construction. We are still a long way from being ready to assemble them. This house rebuild has become entirely DIY. Maybe one day

Carol

• kenwillson4
    7 years ago

Carol, indeed your house looks beautiful. I have been reading the discussion and found that you are looking for perfection and that's awesome. People usually give up when it comes to DIY. Well, glad to know you are still looking for perfect things. Good luck!

ontariomom thanked kenwillson4