SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

I can't take it anymore! (Kitchen countertop clutter ...)

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Lest this come across as a rant about my DH, let me just say that it's not intended as such. He has his own methods and his own comfort level, but mine is currently being tested a bit by the mess that is constantly on this portion of our kitchen countertop (indicated by the red arrow). It's a small space, but here I have displayed some of my treasured blue and white Cornishware and tucked in the corner (just out of view in the pic) is my prized Kitchen-Aid mixer.

The counter is clear in the photo, but that's not reality. It's always cluttered with grocery lists, coupons, current bills, post-it notes, etc. DH does all the grocery shopping and bill paying, and I greatly appreciate the way that he stays on top of these matters - but the fact that his "kitchen office" is always just piled up here in seeming disarray really bugs me. There's a drawer directly beneath the countertop, but it's in use - as are all the other drawers. He likes to have his lists, etc. out where he can see them and get to them quickly anyway, so I know he wouldn't take well to having all the paper stuff put away out of sight. Too, I don't want to have to move my "pretties", but have been thinking of possibly buying something like the gray organizer shown here - which would, of course, displace something that's currently on the counter:

Just curious to know if anyone else also has that small bit of countertop space that's consistently cluttered with paper stuff - or if you've found a suitable way to keep it looking more controlled.

We do have a home office, where DH actually sits to pay the bills, but it's upstairs. I guess you'd say the kitchen area is his "initial" work space. It isn't going to go away, I'm afraid - but I would so love to be able to better contain it.

Comments (69)