SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reid_stollberg

Sad looking Honeyberry plants, please help!

Reid S
7 years ago

Hello!
I bought two honeyberry plants back in March. A Blue Nova and a Blue Bird, both early bloomers. They looked great and the Blue Nova even had a few berries on it when I purchased the plants. I planted them in plastic tubs with very good drainage and did harvest roughly 20 berries from only one plant (the other one might be a year younger, could explain why nothing grew on it this year). However starting around late April and up until currently they have been turning on me. The leaves have turned turn brown and crispy and many have fallen off. I have attached pictures of how they currently look.

I live in Oregon and the plants get heavily filtered light from morning till 9AM and full sun from about 10AM to 2-3PM, then back to light shade. My soil is comprised of 35% screened sandy loam, 45% garden compost, 5% power mulch, 5% mushroom compost, and 10% Horticulture Pumice. I called the nursery a couple weeks back and they suggested I put a ½ inch of chicken manure compost on top of the soil which I have since done. I water the plants thoroughly every other day to every three days depending on the heat. What am I doing wrong?? They just don’t look happy, and up until about a week ago only the Blue Bird has started to give off a few new shoots and showing signs of life. Although this started to happen a couple weeks ago, just before I added the chicken manure compost. Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Blue Bird

Blue Nova

Comments (9)