SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_galloway

Article/Bryght Furniture Reviews?

Maggie Galloway
7 years ago

I am thinking about purchasing a sofa from Article.com (formally called Bryte) Does anyone have experience with their furniture? Is it good quality? Any complaints?

Here's the one I'm thinking about... https://www.article.com/product/1031/worthington-oxford-brown-sofa

Comments (985)

• potatoboy73
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I made the mistake of purchasing an Article Sven in ivory birch in October 2019. Even though I was not happy with it when it first arrived, I stupidly decided to keep it. That was partly because I didn't realize I would have to pay $100 to return the couch if I didn't want it. (There's a $50 hidden reboxing fee in addition to a $49 charge).

Right out of the box, the cushions did not look right. They don't hold a shape AT ALL. They look lumpy and deformed all the time. I'm talking about the back cushions and the bolster things on the side. The pilling is absolutely horrendous. The company said it would stop after a while and it was "normal." They gave me $50 to buy a lint shaver. Needless to say, it never stopped pilling. The couch looks junky and I wish I had bought a cheaper Ikea couch instead. I've had better quality Ikea couches for less. Oh, and the company told me that my cushions may need occasional fluffing depending on how "heavily used" the sofa is. I have never been able to make the cushions look good and they are getting worse. Please do not buy anything from them. The aesthetic will pull you in, but it is not high quality.

• Julie Hamner
    3 years ago

@Michele Zug Thats exactly what I did. I put a standard size pillow into each back cushion. It was a decent solution for the back cushions, but the wear on the seat cushions (which Article did replace) was still unacceptable And there was no similar hack/ fix.

• Related Discussions

Cute article on decluttering

Q

Comments (10)
    I picked up on the same quote as harriet; "What he disavows is inauthentic simplicity. From his perspective, no one should go out and buy drawer dividers to better organize their socks; they should have fewer socks and throw them in a drawer with enough room to distinguish the black ones from the navy ones. " This is probably why I don't view the infrastructure as important for my household. Even in my kitchen drawers, I can just pull out the drawer and find what I need. I only find dividers helpful in the bathroom, where small things like clippers scatter easily throughtout the drawer. I think we can get too far in stereotyping a decluttered household. I like pillows. My house isn't dusty, so I don't look at them as dustcatchers. We tend to flop on our furniture and I like needlepoint pillows with velvet backing. That way we flip them over to smoosh under our heads, flip them back to enjoy the needlework. It sounds like Mr. Ho isn't understanding that people can enjoy doing things like building a peony bed. Or a fence. That we aren't always a herd of mindless creatures doing something just because Martha is doing it. All Martha is doing is highlighting this many people have always enjoyed. Geesh, I'm not even a Martha fan and here I am defending her. I would also prefer to have more possessions, than live in 300 square feet with two roommates. That would drive me insane! I think I must just be in a tired mood today because it really irritated me to have to look up the word, parsimony. Meaning Undue reluctance to spend money; stinginess. Just what exactly is money for if it doen't make the quality of your life what you would like? I'm not interested in leaving a fortune to a charity, but I am interested in having enough money to pay for my own nursing home. In the meantime, if I spend money on items to hang on my wall and those items give me pleasure, I don't see what business it is of Mr. Ho's to decide my lifestyle is less meaningful than his. "Candles dont set a mood, people do." I'm really going to disagree with this. Every night when I've gotten the munchkins asleep, the day is done, I head to the bathroom and light scented candles. Slip in the tub and I have a ritualistic end to my day. Flipping on the overhead light just wouldn't not do the same thing. Give me someone besides some single middle aged man. I can't relate to him. Give me someone who juggles many responsibilities. Jobs, husband, kids, home, yard, volunteer work, etc. Then show me how the simplicity of items relates to fulfillment in their life. Mr. Ho probably wouldn't value my collection of polyester double-knit quilts, but I sure enjoy them even though I'm contantly refolding, picking them up off the floor, thowing them over the back of the couch or the foot of the bed. I don't want a life full of things which "will do." I'd get much more pleasure building that trellis than having the plant in some old tin can. Just because Mr. Ho thinks I'm wasting my time doesn't make it so. Now, I'm off to do my two hours manning the PTA craft table, then feed everyone supper, and put in 3 hours of back and forth and waiting for dance lessons. Because I've determined I have simplicity, this doesn't overwhelm me. It would probably put Mr. Ho under the rug. Gloria
    ...See More

Interesting Article

Q

Comments (27)
    Florantha, I have orange walls. We were criticizing the colors not because of what's stylish but because of the exact shades used. That particular yellow is very aggressive and the orange stripes going in two directions are a bit day glo. I think the orange fabric could be made to work with the right yellow on the wall. As it is, I find the combination, at least as it shows in the picture, to be painful (As in, ouch! my eyes!). They also don't go with the counter or the floor. The paint and homemade curtains both look fresh and clean, leading to the assumption that the current residents put them in, so the choice of them leads us back to the discussion about what it takes to design a kitchen. And I contend, as I have through this all, that it's little touches like choosing the right paint color, not granite counters. MV, It's interesting about the "other" kitchens you mention. I have my own big stack of (pre-GW/FKB) kitchen magazines. And while I can't live on a steady diet of Architectural Digest, I pick it up every now and then. I love looking at home and kitchen design, and am as likely to look at it in the background of a personality profile as in a house photo, because then you see real people houses. But I wouldn't want to live in most of them! I love thinking about how life would be in an MCM masterpiece, or the arboreal house with the canopy style copper roof. I love looking at them and thinking about how the way the house works will interact with the way the people live their lives. But I'm honest with myself and know that I want more function than one of those shiny Italian curvopoli where it's more important that the ladle and can opener match the kitchen design than work well, and that I'm too prone to clutter to do justice to an MCM. Kmsparty, I can definitely attest to the more cooking in a more convenient kitchen thing. I cooked less and less in the old kitchen because it was so awful. Now cooking is so convenient and pleasant in my not-quite-finished new kitchen that I'm actually cooking too much!
    ...See More

Couches & Colors to Match this Sectional

Q

Comments (13)
    I doubt it, but I just love this chair - if your palette included deep plum/ raisin, could be ok. [https://www.houzz.com/products/tequila-sunrise-original-wall-art-by-anne-oliver-prvw-vr~89441080[(https://www.houzz.com/products/tequila-sunrise-original-wall-art-by-anne-oliver-prvw-vr~89441080) [https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-wing-back-armchair-luxor-raisin-prvw-vr~97443355[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-wing-back-armchair-luxor-raisin-prvw-vr~97443355)
    ...See More

Joybird Eliot vs Article Sven

Q

Comments (10)
    I’ve read that people put an extra pillow in the back cushions. I’m assuming there is a zip pocket to add this? How are the bottom cushions holding up? Good quality? Scratch easily? Are they really slouchy looking? im not particularly a fan of the super slouchy look but I want leather for our dog hair maintenance problem and also for the fact is looks good with anything. I’m hoping this couch will last us a while, so I’m hoping I can have a solution for the slouchy back that will make it what I want. From what I’ve read it seems Article is built better. Joybird wasn‘t descriptive enough for me and no one seems to own the Eliot sectional in leather. So I’m thinking of going with Article as well. Thanks for your response! It helps a lot.
    ...See More
  • Michelle Woods
    3 years ago

Thank you. I wanted to know if the quality was decent enough for what I need but I can see it is not! Maybe good for staging or for living rooms that never get used. Poor quality furniture is a waste of money in the end. You'll need to replace it too soon. Wait and buy good quality and from a company that stands behind their products. Restoration Hardware has proven to be excellent.

• HU-139478479
    3 years ago

Thank you ALL, I am so glad I came upon this Houzz thread before ordering a sofabed (for my daughter and son in law, so we can visit & sleep in their brand new place) from Article. Must be stylish, built decently, and available within 4 weeks. I notice a few mentions of Amazon couches, which I will now investigate. Besides that, are there any other online retailers of well-designed furniture, specifically sofabeds, that anyone recommends???

• Rachel French
    3 years ago

I purchased the following pieces of furniture from Article: Sven Charm Tan Sofa, Mira Dining Table For 6 w/ 6 matching chairs, Matrix Persimmon Orange Chair, Ceni Seagrass Green Armchair. The Ceni was very low and uncomfortable and the Matrix had a big rip in the fabric (I had to repackage and return both). I have had the Mira outdoor dining table for two summers now, the top (which is nothing more than 1 x 4's on a cheap metal frame) have pealed and warped/curled (the chairs are fine), and I am replacing the Sven sofa (with a Roger and Chris sofa) after less than two years - it looks good in photos, but is thin cheap leather and in person looks and feels like it. Overall the companies website, marketing, and paid for sponsored articles/reviews are by far better than any of the actual products, which are cheaply made with short life spans. For the same price point you are better off buying from Wayfair, or even your local TJ Maxx/HomeGoods store. PS they did NOT (would not?) print my review on their website.

• Inna Zatulovsky
    3 years ago

I am so extremely disappointed in myself for falling prey to this company. The product is UNBELIEVABLY subpar. I will never again believe any blogger or godforsaken social influencer ever again. Articles hands out free pieces like candy to these people and they lie lie lie. I bought a leather Sven in November 2018. Very good looking. Cannot deny that. However, its the worst quality sofa I have ever had in my life. I can feel huge hard lumps under the bench cushion. Its impossible to lay on. It has made my back hurt so badly. The bench cushion sticks out over the sofa by about 2 inches when pushed all the way back. Its like the foam inside is melting and spreading. The back cushions are completely misshapen. Its a horror show. And it is so disappointing as its my primary sofa. Its been this way since just when the warranty expired. Surprise, surprise. This thing cost $2100. I have no clue what I was thinking. I have already persuaded several friends and acquaintances not to waste their money. And I will continue to tell anyone who listens, any time and any place - save yourself the grief and the money and stay away from article. Thinking of sending a report to BBB. With so many horrid reviews how are they still getting away with it.

• Inna Zatulovsky
    3 years ago

I am so extremely disappointed in myself for falling prey to this company. The product is UNBELIEVABLY subpar. I will never again believe any blogger or godforsaken social influencer ever again. Articles hands out free pieces like candy to these people and they lie lie lie. I bought a leather Sven in November 2018. Very good looking. Cannot deny that. However, its the worst quality sofa I have ever had in my life. I can feel huge hard lumps under the bench cushion. Its impossible to lay on. It has made my back hurt so badly. The bench cushion sticks out over the sofa by about 2 inches when pushed all the way back. Its like the foam inside is melting and spreading. The back cushions are completely misshapen. Its a horror show. And it is so disappointing as its my primary sofa. Its been this way since just when the warranty expired. Surprise, surprise. This thing cost $2100. I have no clue what I was thinking. I have already persuaded several friends and acquaintances not to waste their money. And I will continue to tell anyone who listens, any time and any place - save yourself the grief and the money and stay away from article. Thinking of sending a report to BBB. With so many horrid reviews how are they still getting away with it.

• Neha Katdare
    3 years ago

We bought the Ceni fresh white sofa from article less than a month back. We were really impressed by the way it looked and Seemed to be worth The money. just 20 days later, we are finding the sofa to have lost its firmness So much so that it feels to be old when you sit on it. The cushions are sagging and it definitely doesn’t feel new anymore. To add to this it’s even started to squeak! And all of this just after 20 days of use. I am so repenting Spending 1000 bucks on a sofa.

• potatoboy73
    3 years ago

Just wanted to chime in that I let Article know I was unhappy with the Sven (i described the problems above) a year after buying it. They said that it is "wearing as expected", which I find disappointing, but they did give me a $450 refund, For anyone who is upset with the quality of their couch, I recommend reaching out to them and letting them know, even if it's not for the first time. You might at least get part of your money back like I did.

• rachelskid
    3 years ago

@neha -you have 30 days to return. Do it!! You’ll regret it if you don!

• George
    3 years ago

@potatoboy73, If this was Amazon they'd send you a new one.

• Sarah Garcia-Ricketts
    3 years ago

I stumbled upon this post today while researching our options. We purchased the timber charme sectional last year and haven't really had many complaints. The leather isn't as family friendly as they claimed and at times it's a little too firm but overall we really loved this sofa. Fast forward to 3 days ago and my toddler (aged 3) brings me a piece of metal and some screws to ask me what it is and I realize it's one of the brackets the holds the two pieces of the sectional together. After some basic troubleshooting I realize that I can't fix it. The screws just slide in and out without biting. All the other brackets are rock solid though.

So my wife contacts Article because even though we're now outside of the 1 yr warranty window I assumed they'd want to know about this as it's a $4000 sofa that failed with normal use in a way that's a pretty big safety issue. We have two 6 month olds who put everything in their mouths and I wasn't in the room when my son found the screws which are definitely the right size and shape to be a choking hazard.

We've insisted on a refund because, even though we have other Article products that we've had zero problems with, the safety hazard this poses is too great of a risk for our young family. So far Article has offered to refund part of the sofa or to replace it with another sofa that they promise this won't happen again with, but clearly that promise isn't something I can weigh higher than my kids safety. My wife has said as much in her communications with them and we're waiting to see the outcome.

Right now we're pretty disappointed with the customer service considering the great cost of the sofa for us that we thought would last our family for many years and the danger that my children we're placed in that seems to have been ignored by the company. So now we have a $4000 non functioning sofa for my home during this Covid crisis while I work long hours at the hospital and my wife stays home with our three kids.

Hopefully I can update this post with good news.

Update: they've agreed to refund the sofa as long as it's returned. Not the ideal situation as we can't order a new sofa until we get the refund, and we can't get the refund until they receive the old sofa. Which leaves us with no sofa at all for weeks, which is fairly absurd given how large our family is, but this seems to be the best outcome we could negotiate.

I'll update once the pickup happens and the refund is received.

• nattycat2
    3 years ago

Article furniture is not worth the money. I bought the Seno table for 8 1.5 years ago and it developed a thick 8 inch crack (not along a seam) which according to them is considered "a small crack or fissure" that "can develop in "natural wood products". They offered a $50 credit, what a joke. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company.

• HU-394343256
    3 years ago

Unfortunately, I am really disappointed with our Sitka sofa. I was so excited to get it and I spent a lot of time researching this couch before deciding it was the one, however I now think that a lot of the reviews are from bloggers who were gifted the couch. My first thoughts were that it is beautiful, but a bit firm. After less than a month though, the fabric started to pill in a quite a few places, and the seams along the arms started to pull. The couch is still firm, but the fabric and cushions seem to be sagging/stretching in places. I had seen these issues in other reviews, but didn't take enough caution. I figured since we don't have kids or pets and the couch won't get much use (its in a second living room), that we would get years out of it before much wear started to show. I have had couches in the $800-$1,000 range that held up much better than this one. I reached out to Article's Customer Service after about a month, but they never even wrote back to me (this was now almost 2 months ago). For me, $2,300 was a big splurge and I was really nervous about it, but I wanted something that would last for years. I would never order anything from Article again. Seems like its Ikea quality but triple/quadruple the price and without the good customer service (or any customer service in my case). I have never written a bad review online before, but I really wanted to warn other people so they don't make the same mistake I did. If $2,300 is no big deal and you just want something for the design, then maybe this would work for you.

• HU-591302184
    3 years ago

i Have never had a worse couch! I purchased the Sven leather couch and within a year it has deflated. To the point that it hurts my back so much to sit on it.

We have even stuffed the back pillows with regular pillows. When I contacted article they suggested to do this. ?????

• Jil Shipman
    3 years ago

Yes - anyone still thinking about purchasing anything from @Article should seriously reconsider. Despite all the reviews and our better judgment, we ended up purchasing the Sven Sofa in Aqua Tweed and it has held up HORRIBLY. We have only had it for about 6 months and the fabric is super pilled and the cushions look awful. It’s also sinking in the middle. We’ve never had a couch look this bad in such a short amount of time. The couch we replaced with this one was moved to the basement to the kids’ playroom because it was just too big for our living room - but it has seen SO much more use (over 3 years old) and looks much newer than this one. I would personally never buy from Article again. The couch was beautiful when we got it - but we are now counting the days until we can get rid of it. SUCH a waste of money and I’m so mad at myself for deciding to purchase it. 😩

I added a picture but I don’t think it accurately shows just how much the fabric has pilled. It looks so awful

• Julie Hamner
    3 years ago

I can’t believe they’re now advising people to stuff the back cushions with a pillow. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 That was my interim “fix” to their horrible deflating cushions and an idea obviously taken straight from this thread. Give me a break, @Article 🙄

• HU-394343256
    3 years ago

Just to add an update- they finally got back to me. Their “fix” was to send me a link on how to fluffs cushion and to offer me $50 to buy a fabric shaver. So they do have customer service it’s just abysmal. They also never posted the review I tried to add to their site. I wish there were more places to see reviews for them (like google- how do they not have reviews on google!?) to warn people.

• potatoboy73
    3 years ago

I was wondering if they ever posted my bad review. I doubt it. They pulled the old "Here's $50 for a fabric shaver" on me, too. Ugh!

• Sarah Garcia-Ricketts
    3 years ago

Late in posting but Article did arrange for a pick up and refunded our money. All in all I really appreciate Article making right what was a dangerous and apparently unique issue. I would purchase products again but definitely not the timber charme sectional.

• PRO
    Article
    3 years ago

Hi Houzz community,

We thank you for your continued feedback. We’ve reached out directly to all of those who we are able to, but if anyone has an outstanding issue or concern, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us directly by email (service@article.com), phone (+1.888.746.3455), or live chat on article.com. Getting in touch with our care team directly is always the best way to resolve any issues you might have.

To specifically address some of your individual feedback and concerns:

@Krissy Kirlin, we’re glad you were able to get in touch with us to coordinate a replacement sofa.

@Neha Katdare, our team will be reaching out to you directly to chat about the issue you’re having — your sofa is still under warranty and we want to make sure we’re able to find a solution for you.

@Julie Hamner, our team will be in touch with you to pick up the conversation where we last left off to find a more permanent solution for you.

@Michele Zug, we aren’t able to locate your order information based on the information we have, so please do get in touch with us via email with “re: Houzz comment” in the subject line, or send us a direct message with your order number and/or the email address you used to place the order so we can follow up.

@Rachel French and @HU-394343256, We know how important reviews are to customers when they make a purchase — we publish all reviews that meet our simple guidelines, and never delete or alter reviews. Our guidelines are clearly stated during the review process and also can be revealed on all product pages by hitting the info icon beside the average review rating. For clarity, we don’t publish reviews that contain:

• Offensive or explicit content
    • Personally identifiable information
    • Reference to competitors
    • URLs or links to other websites
    • Images featuring any objectionable or offensive content
    • Images that infringe upon any intellectual property

The only reason a review is not published is if it includes one or more of these types of content. If your review did include one of these types of content and you would like to update it so that it does meet our guidelines, you can do so at any time by logging into your Article account (https://www.article.com/login).

Given the ongoing interest from the Houzz community in our products we have decided to expand the team available to help here. I want to introduce some of the members of our friendly customer care team — article_kate, article_chris, article_jen, article_kelsey, article_alysia, article_carley, and article_billy. — who are happy to work with you to answer questions or concerns, and provide assistance where needed.

As always, the best way to get support is to contact our care team directly — by email (service@article.com), phone (+1.888.746.3455), or live chat on article.com — but we also want to make sure we are providing assistance where it is needed.

Thank you,

Duncan Blair

VP of Marketing

Article

• HU-394343256
    3 years ago

Yes, to update they did eventually post my review, it just took a while. However, they didn’t resolve the issue at all. I reached out because of extreme pilling, fabric stretching and the cushions sinking in completely. article said that they “don’t consider these defects” (?!?) but then offered me $200, which kind of just felt like them trying to get me off their backs. If they actually wanted to make amends they would let me return the couch- or provide a new one(that is if they actually stood by their product and believed a new one wouldn’t have defects). So for anyone still debating- please just don’t do it! It’s not worth the hassle. Go for a more reputable brand instead (Urban Barn, EQ3 and all of those are the same price as Article but miles ahead for quality)

• Eric
    3 years ago

I purchased probably a more popular Ceni volcanic grey sofa just in Feb4(!), and in less than 30 days (today Mar1), I've found the cushion is already sagging and the sofa creaking.

A sag is obviously subjective, but most would be able to see some of the deformity in my picture on the left hand side. This was very surprising as I barely used this sofa until a week ago to lounge and work approx 4-5hrs a day in that seat, and now it feels completely different relative to the other 2 seats. Fluffing it has not helped at all and I'm not sure it really would since it's foam...

I would have given the purchase more thought had I found a thread like this, which is showing a more systemic problem, and all within a year. Unfortunately I only did light research and fell to the nice pictures and bloggers reviews like (eg https://visualheart.com/2018/05/01/article-ceni-sofa-review-after-2-years/ <- 2 years unbelievable given the experiences here). There were more items I was interested in, but going to look at alternatives now

• George
    3 years ago

@Eric I have seen that review too and it must be a sponsored post or something because I couldn’t believe that sofa held up as good as she says .

• Marian
    3 years ago

Any chance your cushion is pushed forward from sitting? My sofa (2 years old now) recently started to look “sunk” in one spot but it turns out the cushion is sliding forward slightly (from sitting so long in it). When I push it back it corrects back to where it should. I do not expect these cushions to last long term though, my last 3 seater sofa was over $6,000 (on sale) and lasted 15 years (even then it looked new but the style became outdated). Overall I’ve been happy with this one, it’s much better quality than IKEA! The velvet has held up well with 2 (older) kids and one chihuahua, same with my dining chairs from Article.

• Marian
    3 years ago

Here is a current photo.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Hi @Eric,

Thank you for your feedback on your latest Article order. We are very sorry to see you are experiencing issues with your Ceni couch.

Your sofa should definitely not be creaking and the sagging cushion is something our customer care team would be happy to look into for you.

Please get in touch with us by sending an email “re: Houzz Review” in the subject line along with your order number and the above photo to service@article.com. Otherwise, you can call us directly by phone at +1-888-746-3455. We would love the opportunity to make this right for you.

Thank you,

Kate

Customer Care Floor Supervisor

Article

• George
    3 years ago

lol The cushions should be not sagging and everyone is shocked that this ever happened again and again and again since the beginning of time

• Michele Zug
    3 years ago

Updating my comment. We reached back out as requested and this time they were able to find proof of my order! They offered and we accepted & have now received the replacement rear cushion inserts. They do seem to be of much more sturdy construction. They look great going on and feel more supportive than the original versions. I'll update again if things go horribly wrong, but at this moment we are very happy. Perhaps I just got a snarky CS agent the day I initially called? All other contacts with Article have been more than satisfactory, from pre-purchase to solving this rear cushion issue on our blue Sven leather sofa circa 2017. We will consider purchasing from them again.

• Inna Zatulovsky
    3 years ago

I want to update my previous comment from 4 months ago. Cannot seem to find edit button. Oh well. I did contact Article as was suggested by others. After delays that were entirely my fault, ENTIRELY, they did work with me to the sven and a partial refund. I am happy with the outcome. I do really, really, really wish they would work on the quality if the furnishings. I do think they are very beautiful. They just need to be far more comfortable and last way longer. stop giving away stuff to these bloggers and invest some of that money into upgrading the quality.

• Susan Henry
    3 years ago

wow, so glad i found this thread. i only saw great reviews so ordered the sven leather sofa, day bed, and ottoman. was getting excited for it to ship so was reading more reviews and came across this thread. just cancelled my order. phew. feel like i dodged a bullet but am also sad because i was so excited about it.

• Yolandas White
    2 years ago

Hello, was wondering if anyone purchased Article's divan sectional? How has it held up and have you had any cleaning issues with it since it's dry clean only? Please share..

• JJ Lang
    2 years ago

Does anyone have any feedback on the Tablet leather tufted ottoman from Article? I need a quality piece that looks great and will hold up for entertaining.

• Jamieson Anderson
    2 years ago

If you've read this entire thread and still decide to send Article your hard earned money, that's on you. Good luck.

• Mike Chen
    2 years ago

Anyone else notice Article had been increasing their prices much faster than other companies? A Sven leather sofa used to cost $1800cad but now costs $3100?! I understand there are several factors in play but a 70% increase is ridiculous. They're just pretty much offloading their costs (including the cost of giving sofas away to influencers like candy) to consumers without increasing quality. Article is basically selling mid quality furniture at high quality prices. Their direct to consumer pricing seems irrelevant at this point, especially because their items are now priced comparably to traditional brick and morter stores.

• Steve Jones
    2 years ago

My wife and I needed a new couch. Our daughter had an Article couch that we liked so we bought the exact model she had; she bought hers about 3 years ago. We have had ours for a few months now...something just wasn't right. After visiting our daughter last week, we figured it out. First, our cushions had about 1/2 the stuffing hers did. Ours are LIMP; just horrible. 2) Our mattress (pull-out couch) sinks in when we sleep on it. It turns out that ours is missing a support bar! WTF?! And the quality of our mattress compared to our daughter's is much worse. My conclusion is this: they got to be a well-known brand and known for their quality. Someone comes up with the BRILLIANT idea of making MORE MONEY by skimping on quality. Wow. Greed sucks. I would recommend not buying their furniture.

• Weiling Chen
    2 years ago

Stop buying Article!!!! Don‘t make me say I told you so yet again. It’s getting exhausting .

• S G
    2 years ago

I want to chime in that I purchased a Ceni Sofa and had the exact sagging, piling, back issues within months that others have stated. And their customer service has been greatly disappointing. The only good thing about this experience is realizing that spending on high quality furniture probably is worth the cost if you can afford it; I’ve been needing to replace this one after a few months and obviously that’s not really a cost effective solution

• Jennifer Dykhuizen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have owned the timber leather sectional for 1.5 years now and read a lot of both great and poor reviews prior and after buying it. The couch has been great for us but I do take the time to maintain it. Daily use of the couch: 2 adults, 1 incredibly rambuctious and messy toddler with lots of snacks, occasional dinner in front of the tv, more popcorn than a movie theater, and 2 dogs with no sleep boundaries whom think they own the house.

If you buy the leather couch, here are some tips to keep it pristine while living life:

-routinely vacuum and dust; I vacuum the seams and under the cushions every 2 weeks and wipe down with a wet microfiber cloth once a month.

-readjust monthly; we disconnect the couch, check the feet and adjust it before putting it back. Like I said, I have a toddler and it does move slightly with day to day use, so this helps keeps it from squeaking and metal rubbing against metal

wrong.

-rotate and fluff (read: beat up those cushions); I do this weekly and it takes less than 10min but will save the life of your couch.

-condition; every 4-6 months I use otter wax and buff them out. This couch needs this to stay soft and not dry out. We have windows all around so there is no way to keep direct light off the couch but rotating and waxing helps.

For a $3k+ couch in a common space, I knew I would be willing to invest the time to keep it looking great. Good luck!

• D Smith
    2 years ago

Absolutely do not buy from Article. I had such a huge disappointment when my sofa was delivered as I could tell it was not at all like what they had featured. The couch was barely stuffed. When I asked them about this, they strangely told me I couldn't appreciate their style and I was stuck with it. They said I had to pay to have it filled if I thought it needed filling. Since then I've realized I am not the only person with this problem. My mom purchased a leather sofa for a fraction of the cost of this one at the same time I purchased mine. While hers has held up, since then my cushions sink and won't hold their form. the frame is falling apart, and the couch is sinking from all the slats that have broken. I'm constantly repairing this thing. And, I should add we had a couch for 15 years prior to this that held up wonderfully. We merely decided to change up the style. Such a sad sad waste. DO NOT BUY!!!

• PRO
    Article
    2 years ago

Hi Steve Jones, thank you for taking the time to review your order with us. We’ve just spotted this review and would love to help. We’re so sorry about the delay and to hear about your experience with one of our products. Our mission is to provide high-quality products at the best price, so we completely understand why you’d be disappointed. Please feel free to email us at service@article.com with the subject line “Houzz Review” as we’d be happy to investigate further.

Hi S G, thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We’re truly sorry that your experience did not meet expectations and we appreciate your feedback, as we want to ensure we’re doing what we can to create a five-star experience for all customers. Since the inserts in our Ceni Sofa are made from high-density foam, we recommend fluffing the cushions regularly to reintroduce air and improve the overall shape of your cushions. In regards to the pilling, fabrics made from synthetic fibers, like the one used for our Ceni Sofa, have a higher fiber strength. This means pills tend to stay anchored on the surface and will need to be fabric shaved regularly. Pilling is expected within the first 6 to 8 months of normal use, but should subside after this time. If you have any further questions, please feel free to email us at service@article.com as we’re happy to assist.

Hi D Smith, thank you for taking the time to review your experience. It looks like our Customer Care team has reached out to you via email in hopes of working together to find a solution to the issues you’ve mentioned. Please feel free to respond to the original email or send a new email to service@article.com with the subject line “Houzz Review” as our Customer Care team would be happy to further investigate.

Thank you,

Kianna

• HU-137368117
    last year

what brands do people recommend?

• coray
    last year

I honestly think it doesn’t matter which brand people have questions about….you’re always going to get negative reviews. The common problem is the cliché that “things just aren’t made like they used to be”……unfortunately it’s not just a cliché. I think to get a really good sofa one needs to spend upwards of $6000, and that’s for a regular sofa, not a sectional or sofa with chaise. There was a thread about this a while ago, under “how to find the right sofa for your space” or something of that nature. The thing is, many of the “good old” sofas are somewhat outdated in style, and of course we want the right style, not just a great sofa that looks out of place. (A designer had posted on this thread, explaining that a good 8’ sofa today costs around $9000, but should last a lifetime and can be reupholstered many times, need be. She even recommended some manufacturers. I did look them up, but found no sofas in a style I liked.) As far as pilling goes, it just depends on the fabric one chooses….we’ve never had that happen. With our latest sofa I knew going in that while expensive, the fabric we chose is prone to some sagging (I’ll call it a “lived-in look”😉; it is 100% Belgian linen, and plant fabrics tend to stretch, or “drape”, as any knitter will know 😉. Alas, the sofa was delivered (after 8 long months) in the wrong fabric, so now I must wait at least another 2 months to get the correct one. Luckily our salesperson/in-store designer admitted right away that it was her mistake, as she had “clicked the wrong button”, basically. Our Interim sofa (they let us keep the one they delivered that day so we’d have something to sit on) feels good; it is a combination of springs and foam, wrapped in down. These cushions will need some fluffing and turning/swapping, but we knew that going in and we don’t mind. I think many people fall victim (myself included, to a degree) to all these great shows on HGTV etc and redecorate frequently, so manufacturers don’t even try to make good products anymore. (This statement came from an appliance salesman a few years back, and I don’t think it was an excuse at all.)

• Brent Nelson
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Article I saw your post above mentioning the ceni sofa and their high density foam in the seat cushions - it was recommended that they should be fluffed to reintroduce air into them…..how does does one fluff a high density foam cushion? its a slab of foam, not a down or poly filled seat. the same goes for a biscuit tufted, foam, bench seat like the sven has - how does one fluff that?

• T K
    last year

Wish I had seen this thread before hand. Not too sure about the quality of the furniture as I don't have it yet. But I was first informed that my furniture could arrive anytime tommorow, so I had to book time off of work. Just got a phone call that it's being bumped to Wednesday, so now I have to reschedule time off work.

I've been informed I have to be home for the delivery.

I've ordered furniture and mattresses online before and this is the first time I've been told I have to take an entire day off work.

If this is a preview of customer service......... im scared.

• PRO
    Article
    last year

Hi @Brent Nelson, thank you for reaching out. While foam is a different material, it can be fluffed using the same method. Read here for our tips on how to fluff different types of cushions: https://www.article.com/blog/how-to-fluff-pillows/

Hi T K, we’re so sorry to hear about the delivery delays. We strive to create a seamless delivery experience which includes timely communications so you can plan accordingly. Please send us an email with the subject line “Houzz Thread” and your order number as we’d be happy to look into your delivery window.

Thank you,

Kianna

• Kelley Bruce_Miller
    last year

Did you find a better company with similar styles?

• elizabethcscherer
    last year

With all the crappy furniture brands out there I just wanted to come on and say that I've now made 3 separate purchases from article (arm chairs, dressers, dining table chairs) and I have had SUCH A GOOD EXPERIENCE. Nothing was ever broken in transit. High quality, beautiful pieces. And all of my items have held up for multiple years - my first purchase being about 5 years back.

My only complaints: I wish their selection was bigger!!!! I've been having such a hard time with other retailers and wish I could just buy more of my items from them since they're such a standout among their competitors but I just need more design options. And the items come packaged in insane amounts of styrofoam which is obviously very bad for the environment.

Thank you Article for the great service over the years!!!!!

• PRO
    Article
    last year

Hi @elizabethcscherer, thank you for taking the time to write this. We’re so happy to hear about your experiences with us over the years. We’re always looking to expand our current and new collections, so keep an eye out on our website and social feeds. You can also sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know. In regards to the packaging, we're always looking for ways to strike a balance between sustainability and ensuring that your order arrives to you in perfect condition. Thanks so much for your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it along.

Thank you,

Kianna

• hellonasty
    last year

Another very satisfied Article customer here. We have recently re-done a home we use on weekends and a lot of the new stuff is from Article. Burrard couch, loveseat and ottoman - we don’t use then often because we’re not always there but they’re holding up well in the year we’ve had then. The only complaint I would have is they are pretty light and move around a little bit. Otherwise, they are firm, but I like firm, and the fabric is in good shape allover. We also have a dining room table and matching console, counter, height, stools for the kitchen, two different kinds of dining chairs, an outdoor dining table, etc. I’m not going to list the specifics of all the items now but you can send me a message if you want to know what I got and I’ll give you a review, but I really will say I’ve been nothing but satisfied with all of their products and their customer service. They were always very flexible with me regarding delivery dates, and all of the delivery drivers were extremely sweet, careful and complementary of the house. I really enjoy working with Article, and I hope to do so again in the future.