SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arialvetica

Island electrical outlets -- what are my options?

arialvetica
7 years ago

I need to make decisions about kitchen island electrical outlets this week. Help. :)

Can outlets be inside drawers/cabinets? Can they be under an overhang...how about if they are under the overhang, but face out (like a little box built out for it)? I'm not opposed to a plug mold, but I've never had one before so I'm not sure what the options are.

I will use the island outlets for a hand mixer (once a month) and a stick vac (once a week). It's possible (but unlikely) we'll charge iPads on the counter on occasion. Those are the only things I can imagine using these outlets for! :)

My city's building code has the following amendments...

NEC Article 210, Branch Circuits, Section 210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets, (C) Countertops, (2) Island Countertop Spaces is hereby amended to read as follows:

(2) Island Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each island countertop space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

Exception: If the owner does not wish to have receptacle installed below countertop, receptacle may be omitted; however a GFCI protected small appliance circuit shall be extended into island cabinet and terminated into a box equipped with blank cover. NM cable shall be protected within cabinet.

Here's the island layout, with red boxes drawn where I think I want outlets.

Here are the elevation renderings (red boxes show my current preference for outlet placement).

The only spot where it would crush me to put outlets is this end of the island, since this is the first thing you see when you enter the house. Would prefer to keep this simple and pretty. :)

Comments (15)