SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nena_hunt

Questions about renovating garage for long-term storage

old_house_owner
7 years ago

I have a ramshackle, unfinished detached garage, probably built in the 1920’s. I’m trying to renovate it, so that I can use it for long-term (10 months) storage while I’m in Europe. I’m getting a new foundation, concrete floor, and shingle roof. I’ll also have the framing with dry rot repaired/replaced. I live in the SF Bay Area. I had the electrical wiring inspected, and it checked out ok. I'll also replace the existing overhead door, probably with french doors.

There is no heat or insulation.

My question is - are there other things that I should do to ensure that it will be a safe and dry for storing papers, clothing, and other personal items for a longish period of time? For example, should I have the interior finished with sheetrock? It currently has redwood siding, with no interior sheathing on the walls or ceiling. The ventilation consists of 2 funky squares cut out of the back wall with quarter-inch screens.

At this point, I just need it to be serviceable for storage and don’t care much about appearance. When I return next year, I may do further renovations to make it more attractive.

Attached are a few photos of its current condition.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (4)