SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21882779

Datura species

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm confused & have some questions.

I just looked up Datura (Jimsonweed) to see where its native in the US. I find that if its D. wrightii, which is perennial, it is native to the US. Another type which is an annual, D. stramonium is introduced from Mexico going by the plants usda. gov/core/profile website. It covers the whole US going by their map.

In the past I grew one of these and now I am thinking it was D. stamonium because it was an annual that was about 2.5ft tall and upright until it got too tall to stand up and would start getting really ugly with rank smelling stems and large blueish leaves, the stems had big but weak joints and they broke off easily, you ended up with plants that fell over and broke and looked weedy. D. wrightii, on the other hand, is described as a low growing sprawling plant that spreads along the ground.

The type I had was an obnoxious pest because it constantly formed numerous exploding seed pods that shot out in all directions. If left to explode you end up with new plants coming up everywhere the next year. After one year of having a few of them gifted to me under the name of 'Moonflower' I never wanted it near my garden again.

Long time back, wantanamara offered me seeds and I said NO! I was not interested but now I think we were referring to different Daturas. She was crazy about them & thought it was a very pretty plant. Mine, whichever kind it was, was not a pretty plant because the top heaviness which I just described on top of the other negative qualities and at the time I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to grow the thing which I considered to be nothing but a self amputating, ugly seed ball making machine that smelled rank to boot and I didn't care how big and pretty the flowers were.

My question is: Does D wrightii make a nuisance of itself with seedlings? I'm thinking that the fact that what I had was an annual, it stands to reason it would seed about aggressively but maybe a perennial would not.

2. Does the plant bloom & stay attractive in the worst part of summer? I'm now considering it because if it would bloom and stay nice looking in the worst of summer it would make a good addition. I like the blue cast of the foliage too.

Comments (16)

Sponsored