SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickelsmumz8

Portland new garden - bulletproof roses?

nickelsmumz8
7 years ago

Long time since I've been by. I will be moving into a new house in the Portland, OR area later this summer. It has a lot of room for roses! I'd like ideas about what to plant. I would really like to hear from people in the Portland area about what works great HERE.

*EASY: I'll do basic deadwooding and pruning, but not a lot of feeding, and zero spraying.

*FRAGRANT. Not every variety has to have fragrance, but I'd like to aim for it. I love teas but my efforts to grow them previously were not notoriously successful.

*COLOR: Not a fan of white, bright yellow, or Tropicana... Love apricots, blends, darker pinks, darker reds.

*PROFUSE, REPEAT. To the greatest extent possible.

*CATEGORIES: I will consider modern roses but mostly want tea/china/hybrid musk or old fashioned types. I'm just not crazy about rugosas, also.

And all else being equal, not super thorny.

I will definitely be planting Mutabilis (probably several) around the garden. I'll find a fence or wall for Buff Beauty. I loved my Cl. Royal Sunset in California and may give it another try here (I don't have tons of space for climbers, though). Possibly Sally Holmes. Memorial Day, based on how well it grows for a friend. I **loved** Abe Darby at my old place, but it was borderline in terms of "easy."

Go! Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)