SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian_stults

Countertop Radius and Overhang Thoughts?

Brian S
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I’m finalizing kitchen countertop specs for my condo and am looking for input on the overhangs and corner radius measurements. It’s an odd layout—sort of a galley but not really—so I have included some photos and labeled each of the countertop surfaces A to F. I would love to know what you all think!

For context, the edge profile will be eased, the counters will be Cambria Berwyn, the pulls will be European style, and there will be 3 chrome raindrop-shaped pendants. I’m aiming for a contemporary feel.

OVERHANG

• A and B: The full overlay doors and drawers protrude roughly 0.9” (plus handles). Does 1.25” overhang make the most sense to compromise between somewhat contemporary form and function?

• C: This is part of the main walkway into the condo. Baseboard molding extends out 0.75”. As such, I was thinking of a 0.75” overhang to match, but am wondering whether a smaller overhang would be better.

• D and E: This is island seating and my only dining space, so roughly 15” overhang

CORNER RADIUS

• A and F: zero radius. There’s not much risk of running into these corners, and since it’s a big rectangle, I think cleaner lines are best.

• B/C/D/E: I was considering 0.25” radius everywhere, but is that asking for trouble? The corner of B/C would actually be two angles, each with 0.25” radius, because the trim doesn’t come to a point (see marked up photo—it looks better in person). For the corners at D/E and E/B (and maybe C/D), does a slightly larger radius make more sense since those are higher traffic and seating areas?

Thanks so much for any thoughts and guidance!

Comments (8)