GET IDEAS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
chris0333

How many trees do you have?

Chris0333 WI zone 5a
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All!

I have been a long time member of these forums, but am mostly a lurker. I have learned a ton from reading your posts so thank you!

i have a large garden and small orchard outside, but my citrus, avocado and pomagrantes are my, "inside edition". They are all outside for the season now. I recently got a few more trees (okay it was 10, oops) and my fiancé says, "more trees?". Now, to be fair, he is the one who lugs them inside-outside, because he won't let me help (does not want me to hurt myself). So I said, "We have a hand truck."

With the 10, I have about 30ish trees. Am I crazy?

What if I still want more?

How many trees do you have?

Nice to meet you all!

Chris

Comments (53)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Wow Steve! I'll post a more comprehensive list when I'm not typing on my phone...

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    5 years ago

38 Larger Citrus + 21 twelve inch seedling citrus. Larger trees (All grafted): 5 lemons, 2 limes, 17 mandarins, 2 kumquats, 2 pomelo, 10 oranges. 6 the 10 orange are bloods and one is a Cara Cara (pink). The seed trees are mostly Moro and 2 lemons, 3 mandarins. All citrus are in pots and go into a greenhouse in the winter. Unfortunately I do not have much fruit yet this summer because their leaves and roots have been recovering after the greenhouse overheated while I was away for a week in early April. Also the few I did get were eaten by an unknown critter (s). Their canopies have recovered nicely now so maybe they will produce a good crop for me yet this summer.

Cory

• Related Discussions

How many times do you spray your apple trees per year?

Q

Comments (20)
    I think the sun-starved fruit tends to drop early for lack of adequate energy. I didn't keep up with scab on pears- I actually didn't realize that it can be a season long battle when it's as wet as it was this year. My 2 Boscs are 60% defoliated and dropped pears early though some are still on tree as did Highland which lost most pears too early to be worth anytning. Seckels did the same, but at least they have decent sugar. Bartlett and another unknown Bartlett type, but later, have completely healthy foliage and great fruit. Aurora stayed healthy but fruits not sweet enough. Most of the Honeycrisp apples, where foliage was fine, dropped a bit before ideal ripeness, or would have if I didn't pick them. Jonagold is thinning itself more than I'd like. All other apples were or are fine. I don't care at all about sooty blotch and fly speck.
    ...See More

How many different plants do you have?

Q

Comments (27)
    Let's see, I have over 100 varieties of hydrangea, at least 300 varieties of roses, around 20 varieties of peonies, about 40 varieties of magnolia, dozens of different lupines, and more coming, about 10 or so species of poppy, about 50 different iris, 6 or 7 varieties of trillium, and that just barely scratches the surface. I should someday try to catalog everything, it might prove quite interesting! I have a friend with over 4000 varieties of roses alone in his garden. He's got tons of other stuff besides that, all on about 2 or 3 acres. --Ron
    ...See More

OT - Too many cleaning products - How many do you have?

Q

Comments (28)
    I won't even begin to list how many cleaning products are in my house. It's. Absolutely. Terrifying. That being said, I'm working on getting rid of much of it and using more natural/earth friendly methods. One thing that I am having a tough time giving up is my toilet bowl cleaner with bleach. I just haven't found anything that makes me feel like the toilet is as clean as when I use some bleach based product. Just mixed up a batch of baking soda, essential oils (eucalyptus and peppermint), a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid, and enough water to make a paste. This was used to scrub the tub which gets absolutely horrible because it's an old porcelain tub (but the finish was messed up from the previous owners)...it got it as clean as the harsher cleansers I've used with about the same amount of effort. Bonus is that it smelled lovely, way better than most cleaning products you can buy in the store. Looking forward to hearing more about some of the alternate cleaning products that people use.
    ...See More

Do you know how many trees there are on Earth? Yale now knows.

Q

Comments (0)
    Yale Tree Study
    ...See More
  • subtropix
    5 years ago

I used to have the regular, store-sold, Chinese Kiwi here..., both the male and the female. I feel bad that I had to get rid of it but that is one VIGOROUS VINE!!! It was taking over my neighbors fence and growing into his tiny yard (my yard is large). It was extremely luxuriant and soon covered the fence. I do kinda miss it, but this year, I think it would be struggling with the drought and excessive heat. Ironically, at the time, I thought they were too tropical to do well in Zone 7/NJ..., they did soooo well, they were actually harder to eliminate as they kept on regrowing from the roots. I left the green grape but have to keep that one in check too.

Citrus? I have...,

Washington Navel

Valencia

Calamondin

Kaffir lime

Mandarin

Eureka Lemon

Lisbon Lemon

Blood Oranges 2

Meyer's Lemon

Persian Lime

Key Lime

Poncirus

Kumquat

Bitter Orange (10..., all from seed)

Ponderosa (on order)

Oh, almost forgot the Pomelo (also from seed)

P.S., Okay, I was BAD and decided to order more kiwi vines..., might just keep them containerized this time.

• Chris0333 WI zone 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Now I can tell him I am not crazy (for this reason at least)

• vanman23
    5 years ago

In the greenhouse, I have sangunelli blood orange with Kishu grafted on to it, honey mandarin with gold nugget, Kishu, okitsu wase, pixie and 88-2 grafted on to it, Washington naval with Cara Cara, Tahitian pomelo and rio red GF grafted on it, Persian lime with Kishu, 88-2 and Cara Cara grafted on it and a Xie Shan.

Outside adjacent to the GH, I have Artic frost, orange frost, Xie Shan and Omari satsuma (an a Fantastic avocado, but that for a different discussion).

In the ground not adjacent to the GH but on a south wall, I have orange frost and Arctic frost.

In containers which I plan to wheel into the garage when temps are below freezing are key lime with gold nugget, Owari, clemintine, 88-2, kiffir lime, pixie, and an unknown mandarin from my parents tree grafted on it. A key lime with Pomona lemon, NZ lemonade, and Valencia orange grafted on it. A Hamlin orange with Valencia orange an NZ lemonade grafted on it.

Boy after I listed them all, it does kind of sound crazy.

Van

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

I currently have 22 citrus, all growing in pot's and will be brought indoors for winter, and kept in our sunroom. I have 3 more citrus on order that should arrive this week, so, that would make 25 total.

5 Lemons, 4 Limes, 1 Kumquat, 2 Calamondin, 5 Mandarins, 1 Cara Cara Orange, 2 Blood Orange, 3 Pummelo/Grapefruit, 1 Citron Etrog, 1 Tangor..

4 Figs: 2 Strawberry Verte, 2 others..having brain freeze.

2 Dwarf Musa Brazilian Bananas, 1 in 15 gallon pot (has 2 pups) and 1 put in ground, (has 2 pups) in greenhouse, (after it outgrew the container). It is over ten feet tall currently. . 3 Dwarf bananas in small pots, Green, 1000 Fingers, Dwarf Cavendish.

2 Dwarf Pomegranate, 2 Dwarf Pack Coffee plants, All will be brought inside for winter..2 in ground Table Grapevines in greenhouse.

5 Standard Apples- in ground

9 Semi Dwarf Apples- in ground

1 Dwarf Apple, in container

2 Standard Plums- in ground

4 Semi Dwarf Plums- in ground

2 Standard Sour Cherries- in ground

2 Semi Dwarf Sour Cherries- in ground

2 Semi Dwarf Sweet Cherries- in 30 gallon containers.

5 Semi Dwarf Peach

4 Standard Pears

1 Semi Dwarf Pear

1 Dwarf Pear Flemish Beauty, in 20 gallon container.

Native wildlife trees and shrubs: Serviceberry, highbush cranberry, sandcherry, common elderberry, sweet crab apples. Etc..

Blueberries, raspberries , strawberries, red currents, rhubarb. Asparagus. .

We have a large garden with over 100 heirloom tomatoes, greens, kale spinach, taters, onions, carrots, beets and other crops.. I am probably forgetting a few items.. :)

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

Very, very nice lists everyone!! I am impressed.

Van, those are some nice, large containers you have. Did you build them? I am still hoping to get a Pomona Lemon..

Keep the list's and pictures coming.

• subtropix
    5 years ago

Here is the theme of tropical/subtropical fruits

Figs (two in the ground, one containerized)

Grapes

Kiwi vine (on order)

Avocado (potted)

Mango (potted)

Ruby Guava (potted)

Loquats (in the ground and potted)

pomegranate (ground and potted)

dwarf papaya (potted)

bananas (Orinoco, Dwarf Brazilian, Dwarf Cavindish, Basjoo (cold hardy)

Jackfruit and Mamey zapote (from seed)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Subtropix, where do you live? Do you have a greenhouse? Do you actually get mangos and avocados? My guava tree (don't remember the variety) is loaded with guavas now. If I can keep the squirrels from getting them, I should have quite a harvest!

• Monyet
    5 years ago

Way to many,i mean way........way too many, if i get rid off half i still have too many!!!!!

• devsense
    5 years ago

I have 33 distinct varieties of citrus multiples of some .all in pots. Btw my spouse thinks I am crazy as well :) but I simply ignore any comment on the ever increasing collection.

• pip313
    5 years ago

About 17 citrus trees. I wish I had the room for more, but it is a chore watering them all when you don't have an outdoor water spickot and adding one would cost a lot in an apartment I might or might not stay in.

• suzuchan
    5 years ago

Ku-razy! You all are way, way more into this than I thought! As an amature with 2 Meyer and a lime, I see I have a fountain of knowlege and experience here, even without the pros' comments. I don't know how anyone here keeps up with watering, fertilizing and repotting! I'm a wreck with just 3 'children' to mind! So grateful that such busy folks can spare the time to be on this forum.

• Jack Western Oregon 8b/6
    5 years ago

I have three, Washington navel, Meyer, and a key lime from seed. Jack

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    5 years ago

Ok here goes.... and I showed my husband this thread last night so now he realizes I am not the only crazy one!!

meyer X3

eureeka

Bearss X2

Kaffir lime

Thornless key lime

Ponderosa

Variegated pink

palestine sweet lime (en route!)

sanguinelli blood

tarcocco #7 blood

seville sour orange

bergamot

chinotto (so gorgeous but I killed it this year repotting somehow, it was delicate... will replace next year)

sudachi

owari satsuma

murcott

kishu

kiyomi tangor

oro blanco (fingers crossed a cutting from the parent plant I have propagating takes)

cocktail grapefruit

pink sensation pummelo

nagami kumquat

meiwa kumquat

centennial variegated

calamondin X2

variegated calamondin

buddha's hand

yuzu

citrumelo

australian finger lime

limequat

5 years ago

Whoa Pip you have a lot!! Have you posted your list anywhere?

5 years ago

Devsense when you have time can you post your full list? Nothing wrong with taking accurate inventory right lol?

• devsense
    5 years ago

I am pretty much a geek , so have a spreadsheet with macros to search by genus :) . Herez my citrus list :

Improved
    Meyer Lemon

Variagated
    Pink Eureka Lemon

Bearess/Persian
    Lime

Kaffir(Makrut)
    Lime

Italian
    Cedro

Nagami
    Kumquat

Chandler Pomelo

Buddhas
    Hand closed hand cultivar

Calamondin

Washington
    Navel orange

Eureka
    lemon

Key
    Lime

Frost
    Owari Satsuma Mandarin

Indio
    Mandarinquat

Oro
    Blanco Grapefruit

Sanguinelli
    Blood Orange

Trovita
    Orange

NewZealand
    Lemonade

Buddhas
    Hand Open Hand Cultivar

Cara
    Cara Navel Orange

Lakeland
    Limequat

Meiwa
    Kumquat

Australian
    Finger Lime (Alstonville)

Yuzu
    Ichandrin

Sudachi
    Ichandrin

Seville
    Sour Orange

Bergamot
    Sour Orange

Nordman
    Seedless

Nagami Kumquat

C-35
    Citrange

Assam
    Lemon ( Kagzi Lebu)

Gondhoraj
    Lime (Rangpur Cultivar?)

Italian
    lemon ( Sorrento or Amlafi group?)

Australian
    Finger Lime ( Mia Rose)

-----------------------

Dev

5 years ago

Awesome Dev, citrus geekiness is always welcome here! Where did you get your NZ Lemonade???

5 years ago

Chris, great post, what is your winter set up? With 10 new trees I bet you are planning winter arrangements now!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Dev

Does your C35 produce fruit and how does it taste.

• devsense
    5 years ago

Hobby - The NZ Lemonade I got from a local landscaper who orders in bulk from a nursery in California, v secretive about the source :) . Its a hit or miss with him, the nursery gives a list of available bareroot plants and he orders twice a season . They are open to grafting any variety from UC riverside budwood program but min is 100 plants :( .

Steve - mine are young plants, got it last year . plan to use it as rootstock when I try grafting next year .

Dev

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

good luck on your grafting. I am running at 0.5% success. That is 1 tree out of 199 loses. I shipped out all my rootstocks of all varieties include apple, peach, pears, cherries. to friends and neighbors and am cleaning up my garden. Time to harvest.

5 years ago

Isn't it odd how cagey they are? It's not like we can start ordering direct from the grower. Weird. They basically come from the same 5-6 vendors I am aware of.

Also, did your Tropic order ship yet? I just asked him to ship mine today and he said he is on vacay until Aug 1st. Thanks a bunch Canada Post!

• Chris0333 WI zone 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Winter set up is grow lights and fans in my basement currrently. I may move them to a room on my main floor though. I would love to get my screened porch converted to a sunroom, or get a greenhouse though! Someday...:-)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Yeah, I was looking at greenhouses last night. I wish I had my neighbor's yard! On the bright side, after the tree trimming, my sunroom is VERY bright...it's like being outside. Between the sun, the extra lights, and I even found a reflector I used for photography...I can angle that to help out too...I should be ok...

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

I just got my yuzu and finger lime for Stan McKenzie. They are tiny, but look healthy and will grow up! I'm planting them...came in to cool off for a minute.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

OK...if you can distinguish it...yuzu on left, and finger lime on right. Both are quite small, but I hope to grow them up big and strong!

• devsense
    5 years ago

Hobby - I cancelled my order to Tropic , found Phoenix had a larger variety available from my list so the shipping cost per plant is lower . Finally Phoenix confirmed they are shipping today . Am worried that because of larger volumes of post after the past few weeks of uncertainty it might get delayed in transit .

5 years ago

Looking good Laura! My yuzu from last year grew like crazy... it is my last one I am waiting for this year to show new growth after repotting. I must have made a watering mistake at some point, it's leaves have gone curly which is annoying! Looking forward to a new set. I did get 2 flowers in my grow room this spring!

That was smart dev, looks like I am waiting for Aug for my palestine sweet lime from Tropic.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Nice Hobby! How big was it when you got it? Mine is tiny...and the finger lime is a baby. In his defense, he did tell me it was small. They are hard to find, so I took it and will take good care of it.

5 years ago

It had to have almost tripled last summer... it really grew fast and was quite small when I got it as well. Yours will be huge in no time! Watch out for the thorns they are wicked lol.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

My God, I thought I was the only one with this disease....lol

I forgot how many I have and all their names..I think I have about 30-40

Where in the world do you all keep your trees in the winter with that many???

5 years ago

I hold you partly responsible Mike! If it wasn't for you vets none of us would have gotten the bug! lol. You know where I keep mine, but I think Laura and I are in for a rude awakening in fall... our rooms will be stuffed! Laura is going to be reading with a tree in her lap in her sunroom and I will be doing my seedlings in my bedroom because my grow room will be overflowing! ;0

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

LOL Hobby...I really am laughing hysterically! Kind of a scared laugh! I have a few locations designated as "overflow" areas....my sunroom and breakfast nook will be stuffed, but I may be able to cram a few in my bedroom (big windows facing the same as sunroom), and there is an area upstairs below a skylight where we have a train table that my kids have used ONCE...that may go so that I can put trees there also. What worries me most is in a few years when they are larger. By then, I may really need a greenhouse!!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

At least my trees will be serenaded daily - my husband plays saxophone and conga in there...he may be a bit crammed ;-)

5 years ago

Exactly!! A lot of my trees are still very tiny so I think I will be ok for the next year, maybe even one more after that assuming I don't go crazy adding to my collection next summer (ok well we know that is probably going to happen so I am good for one year for sure!) There are only 2 of us rattling around in this massive house so it's not like I couldn't put some trees in a spare bedroom if I had to as well. Our one spare room is very sunny, even in winter, so that would be a best next choice after my grow room. Great, here I go, already mentally filling up another room!

Dev did you tell us about your winter set up? What about everyone else we haven't heard from? Sorry not to hijack :). Steve usually starts a good winter prep thread later in the season.

5 years ago

Ok not sure if he is going to be too impressed getting stabbed by thorny branches while trying to play!

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Lol...you are all too funny....Trust me when I tell you, the most painful part of bringing them is when you have to cut them back..ARG...It's a lot easier to keep them tidy and bug free when you cut them back. Too, if you have too much growth on top and not enough sunlight, then they will tend to throw off leaves and branches to compensate for weak roots..Not to fear..

Think ahead of time how at what temps you will store them all, how you can take preventatives measures to avoid pests, how much light you will need to keep them happy, and which ones you know will take the least amount of sunlight to get through winter..Just helping you all think ahead of time while you all continue this citrus fever..

Most people have lots of rooms, but not every tree gets the sunniest spot in the room)

• devsense
    5 years ago

My winter setup is an unfinished south facing basement room with a 600w HPS/MH light, fan n humidifier. It's usually at 16C n 45- 55% humidity.

I also use all my south facing rooms with large windows for overflows or big ones. I certainly need a GH , getting some quotes for a Solarium but maybe will do it next year.

Moreover this year already am reducing my other tropicals to 1or 2 big specimen each - jasmine , hibiscus ,Bayleaf, lemon grass , lemon verbena etc to make space for all the new citrus I got .

Thanks for the pruning tip Mike. that's something I need to do more.

Dev

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

That should work out very well for you

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

I'm ok with pruning. I don't like unruly gangly trees. I already know my guava will need serious pruning. He will barely fit through the door, if at all. That tree grows faster than any citrus I have, but I've yet to eat a guava! I have eight of those daylight bulbs that Steve recommended, so if I buy a few more IKEA lamps, I can easily add more lighting. Yes, Hobby...he does not pay too much attention to the citrus now, but he will when he has to work his way around them with a saxophone in hand...lol! I'm sure my kids will hear a few choice words they are not to repeat...

• Chris0333 WI zone 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just added more trees. Yes I am crazy.

Trovita Sweet Orange
    Vaniglia Sanguigno Blood Orange
    Smith red blood orange
    Yosemite gold mandarin
    Tango mandarin
    Sudachi mandarin
    Gold nugget mandarin
    Varigated pink lemon
    Santa Teresa feminello lemon
    Genoa lemon
    Yuzu

• rvshre
    last month

Hi Dev,

Who did you get the Gondhoraj lime plant from? I have been looking for a plant for a while now.

Would appreciate any contacts to get either a plant or a cutting.

Thanks!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last month

Inground. 1 New Zealand lemonade on C35. 1 valentine pomelo onUS897. 1 seed grown Fukushu kumquat, 1 Meiwa kumquat on kuharske citrange.

Potted. 4 seed grown Meiwa kumquats, 1 seed grown Fukushu kumquat, 1 Fukushu kumquat on C35, # New Zealand lemonade on Seville Sour orange. 1 Poncirus trifoliata on Seville sour orange. 2 Fukushu kumquat on Flying dragon. In other words TOO MANY.

Steve

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    last month
    last modified: last month

22 varieties of citrus

12 varieties of stonefruit

11 varieties of avocados

12 varieties blueberries

2 varieties of mulberries

4 varieties of grapes

8 varieties of strawberries

8 varieties of raspberries,boisenberries, blackberries

65 varieties of japanese maples

all watered by hand. :)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    last month

Nick, what is your favorite strawberry and why? I have not been able to capture a very sweet one yet. I have no idea what kind it would be. Big red and sweet if I can find one

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    last month
    last modified: last month

@Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) my top 3 would be albion, quinault and sequoia. My guess on sweetness much like with citrus flavor could depend on your growing zone and how much sun/heat they get. The chandler is another favorite of mine.