SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Purslane and lamb's quarter as edibles.

rredbbeard
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been gardening and growing for almost my entire life, happily pulling these plants as weeds, and sometimes barely keeping up with them.
Having recently read about the significant dietary benefits of these 2 species, I made a simple dish of steamed purslane last night, and was quite impressed. I tried lamb's quarter too a few years ago, and liked it, but for whatever reason I didn't use it much.
The flavor of steamed purslane was a bit like snow peas, and the texture was akin to okra, but not nearly as slimy. Texture was pleasant enough, and not at all stringy or tough. I can see that this would be a good addition to soup, and would thicken it a little. A recipe for pickling the stems looks very interesting. Dill purslane pickle sounds good.
Best of all, it grows like a weed, and grows abundantly in very dry areas without much care. I'm probably going to be a big fan of this.
Anybody else?

Note: if you pick lamb's quarter, be sure it's not one of the toxic lookalikes. Lamb's quarter is mild, and the crushed leaf should be neither harsh nor unpleasant. I'm in the process of researching this, and will report what I find. Raw lamb's quarter is good in salad or cooked, I'm told.

Purslane is easy to identify, and the same genus as hybrid portulacas:

--Rick in CT

Comments (25)