SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkfree_4a_canada

How long is too long? Dracaena marginata roots dried out ...

bunkfree_4a_canada
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a small dracaena marginata in my office, in a pot with no drainage (was the sole survivor of a mixed arrangement I rescued from another office). I kept it moist but not soggy - or so I thought. It was doing fine, but slow growing. It was not losing leaves very often and the foliage looked very healthy.

since I'm on a repotting kick I thought I'd give it some nice new digs with fresh soil and plenty of drainage. When I pulled it out, it was much soggier than I thought and the *smell* OMG. After cleaning off the roots, even, it smelled rank like ... I don't know. Really dirty fish tank?

i wanted to let it dry out before repotting, but since it's a plant with grassy-like leaves, and toxic, I put it on top of the fridge so there was no risk of Dave the plant-munching feline to get at it. I sprinkled some cinnamon on the roots, thinking that would help.

I forgot all about it :( for, uhhhh, maybe 36-48 hours? It was completely dry when I remembered and got it potted up, anyway.

I watered right away, thinking it must be thirsty. Now it's very sad, newer foliage not looking good, and dropping leaves like crazy. I put the pot on thick paper towels to wick as much moisture out if the soil as possible but it still seems pretty damp. I mixed a lot of perlite into the soil so it's not very heavy. I didn't get a photo at work yesterday to show its sad condition, sorry.

Is it a goner do you think, having its roots dry out so much? And how long can they safely be bare root? I've never had one before :) thanks!!!

Comments (19)