SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Kitchen Refresh has Commenced!

Debbie B.
7 years ago

So y'all know about my fixer-upper disaster of a manufactured home that was owned by hoarders and allowed to almost literally fall apart at the seams.

My daughter Joy and I have a multi-year plan to refurbish it, Lord willing. We had at first resolved not to put any money into cosmetic changes that would be later torn up in a remodeling project. So, for example, no painting interior walls that have sustained water damage and will need to be replaced. Or new curtains for a window that may later be enlarged.

Well, if it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, I guess that would go double for the two of us, haha! While I can honestly say I love my "Cozy Cottage," because it's all mine, the neglect it has suffered in the hands of people who didn't care, I must confess that some days it gets depressing just looking at it, because every time I do, I see something else that needs to be fixed and I hear the ringing of cash registers that are taking my money. To be perfectly honest, it wears on me that some of my friends and almost all my relatives think I'm on a fool's errand with this entire endeavor. I love all you guys so much because you are not judgmental! You tell me things I should do, and I greatly appreciate that, but you don't tell me I'm an idiot for buying this train wreck. :-)

SO...they say the kitchen is the heart and soul of the home and I agree. It's also a very public space. As Joy and I talked, we felt like if we have to wait 5-7 years before we can do anything to the kitchen, it will be a major downer. I'm a super easy-going, content, eve keeled person by nature, but even I can get upset about the hideous paint, mismatched curtains held up by duct tape (!), and general yukiness of the heart of our home.

So we decided we will invest a small amount of money into cosmetic changes, starting with the kitchen. So we're doing a facelift, refresh, or update, whatever you want to call it. And, since the entire kitchen will be gutted someday, we decided we could be daring, bold, bright, risk-taking!

If we regret being this out of the box, we only have to blaze the trail for a few years. And no matter what we do to it, it couldn't possibly come out worse than it is now!

I set the budget at $400, and I think I'll come in under that. This includes towels, potholders, washcloths, etc.; burner covers, two sets of curtains, curtain rods, wall decor, and paint and all painting related supplies, I.e. primer, rollers and brushes, gloves, painters tape, TSP, etc., and of course, two gallons of paint.

Fundamentally, the kitchen won't be changed. No new appliances, cupboards, countertops, or island. (joy says our whole house is smaller than some people's islands, lol. I always notice people on "House Hunters" hate their current galley kitchens, but then pick a house with such a huge island that it, in effect, turns it into a galley kitchen.)

ANYWAY... Our little kitchen is getting a new coat of paint, which will be the most dramatic change. We're going with semigloss in fun colors! I'm now a little nervous about the color; Joy talked me into a brighter shade than I had envisioned. But, like I said, we're remodeling it in a few years, I hope, so if it's crazy, it's not permanent. If it's waaaay crazy, I can change it in August, ha! That's the beauty of paint, and of a small kitchen!

We're also doing a "theme," which can be risky. I can't blame Joy for this; I'm the one who came up with it. You don't want the theme to be so subtle that no one gets it, but otoh, you don't want it to be so in your face that (say it's French farm) it looks like a rooster somehow bred a million baby roosters! So, more than one rooster, but fewer than fifty in a small kitchen. (It's NOT roosters or French farm; I'm keeping it a secret until the reveal.)

I'm so excited because yesterday all the paint prep happened! The washing of all surfaces with TSP, the scraping of the hideous wallpaper, and the taping. Tomorrow (Sunday), the primer goes on, and Tuesday the paint! Thursday, if needed, a second coat and touch-ups. Friday night the finish--pictures on the accent wall, hang new curtains, get everything back out there that's living in my tiny bedroom for a few days, etc.

And voilà! A kitchen with a facelift! Two things I'd like, but can't afford right now: a new area rug under the table, and new chairs. The ones I want are $510 for four, more than my whole budget! But we can definitely survive without them.

So...On my reveal thread I'll post "before," when the hoard was still mostly there, "before," when we had it all cleaned up, "during," like how it is right now, and of course, "after,"which I hope is awesome!

Have a great day!!! :-)

Comments (20)