SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsay_steirer

Did not stake tomatoes...how to salvage

7 years ago

First, let me say that I am a brand new gardener, so please avoid any sarcasm. My husband and I bought a house this winter, built raised garden beds this spring surrounded by a 6 ft fence, filled with recommended soil from the local nursery. I started the tomatoes from seed and transplanted them according to the package. I gave each plant the recommended 4 square feet with 1.5 ft. of soil. I knew I had to provide some support for the plants so I put bamboo sticks in the ground and made a fence for the tomatoes with a rope. However, now well into the summer, the plants are growing like crazy. The support I provided them is clearly not enough and there are several plants that are growing horizontally instead of vertically. The plants are still healthy as far as I can tell with many green tomatoes on them. I have read other posts that you need to stake early to avoid damaging the roots. Should I let the plants continue for the rest of the year as is or should I try to provided additional support? If I should provide additional support, are there recommendations for how I should do this? Thanks!

Comments (20)