SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harry757

Tomato plants........tougher than you might think!

harry757
7 years ago

For the past 2 yrs. I have supported my indeterminate tomatoes by gently wrapping the plant (as it grew) around a length of jute twine hanging overhead. My plants did quite well reaching about 8' in height.

Well this year I wasn't quite as diligent about getting the twine up and one of my tomatoes (about 2' tall) was snapped clean off when we got some unexpected winds. Had to scramble around with lengths of bamboo just to keep the others from getting damaged. I thought well that's the end of that one! Then I thought I would try a little little experiment.............. so I left the lower portion of the plant as it was in the pot (only 2-3" sticking above the soil). I took the remaining 20" of the tomato, trimmed off a few of the lower leaves then just stuck it about 6" into one of my raised beds. Within a few hours it was already wilting badly. Tried to keep the direct sun off it for a few days to try to give it a chance but the wilting only worsened.Weather turned cooler and wetter which probably helped it out but it remained completely drooped over for a week or so. Then to my amazement I tried to lift the wilted stem upwards and I noticed it had some rigidity to it! And now, a few days later, it's actually starting to grow upwards again and tugging gently it feels like it has indeed put down roots. Looks like it's going to pull through! Who knows I may even get some tomatoes from it......that's if the weather here in the PNW ever warms up!

Just thought I'd share the story.

Harry

Comments (2)