SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdchica

I could use your help on kitchen design - thanks in advance!

sdchica
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Gardenwebbers!

I could use your help in reviewing my kitchen layout...it's a little crazy so I'll preface it with (probably too much) background. Any feedback is helpful!

I live in San Diego, in a split level Spanish house, built in the '70s. The kitchen is currently on the 2nd floor as it the dining room and a formal living room (plus bedrooms and office). The downstairs is a cozy family room, wet bar, guest bedroom/bath and laundry room. The 2nd floor kitchen has plenty of room, but it is separated from the rest of the house and has a layout that doesn't allow us to connect it with the living room.

In addition, we have this great pool and deck on the west side of the house and, for some unknown reason, we don't have a single room that opens to this area. There is no inside/outside flow whatsoever. To eat outside, we have to carry trays down the stairs. To get from the pool to the 1st floor bathroom, you have to enter the laundry room and walk through the carpeted guest room to the bathroom. When you open the laundry room door, it blocks the bedroom door and the door to the beer fridge (a critical pool component). We have an awesome bar downstairs (stained glass, brick arches, etc.) that we never use because it is in a place where we can't watch the kids or have a view to anything interesting. We grab a drink and head outside.

So I decided that I want to move the kitchen downstairs to the space where the guest bedroom now resides. The east bedroom closet wall would be replaced by an arch which would become the entry into the kitchen (we have arches all around the upstairs too). I would close up the wall between the kitchen and laundry room and remove half of a wall between the laundry and bathroom for direct access from pool to bathroom (this is the sink wall, external to the toilet/shower room, and I'd move the sink to the adjacent butler's pantry wall which would house the pantry, 2nd sink, and beer fridge across from the laundry cabinetry). The bar would become the dining room, taking out the bar counter and cabinets while leaving the brick arches and stained glass which, when combined with bench seats between them, would give the effect of a cozy pub corner.

My Sweeby Test

Our kitchen welcomes you. As you enter the floor, you see a
pretty courtyard through the back window and door. Look over to your right, and
see the pool through the arch into the kitchen. Perch at the island – view the
back yard, pool or family room/tv from here - or curl up on the sofa. It’s easy
to help out or just sit and chat. A coffee/wine bar is adjacent the family
room. The inside/out flow is natural (coffee or breakfast outside? BBQ? Drinks
and snacks? No problem.) It’s simple to pass things through the west-facing slider window
for use on the outside dining table and wet swimmers can request a drink or
snack without dripping inside. It’s easy to entertain or cook here and works
for one or several cooks. There are plenty of places for buffet set up while
working. It’s cozy for our family but can comfortably feed and entertain
multiple families without feeling crowded. There are several places for
conversation, in and around the kitchen. It isn’t grand or impressive. It fits
the Spanish house but isn’t kitschy Spanish, trendy or easily dated. The
kitchen is efficient and not bigger than it needs to be. You can easily figure
out where things are. It’s simple and clean but not cold. We get a lot of dust
so open storage isn’t great. We have easy access to the backyard for fruit,
etc. In the northwest corner, just outside the window seat, there’s a tiny but
busy hummingbird garden. Texture in the hand-troweled plaster, brick fireplace,
wood beams, and tiled backsplash ground the space. Because we have outdoor
dining year-round, the dining room is like a pub space, cozy and warm.

Complications: We currently have water lines in the laundry room and bathroom just north of the bedroom, and the water lines go south to the back yard. Of course, we'll have to jackhammer the slab floor to get to the plumbing in the bedroom. We'll use induction to avoid moving a gas line. The home was built in the '70s and I don't think there were seismic requirements then, so we'll have to allow for 5' shear walls in the external south and west walls (north wall is against the garage and east wall is against an open utility area under the 2nd floor).

Apologies for the dissertation and thanks in advance for your help! - Chica

Comments (19)