SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27243269

Healthy Check-In Summer 2016

User
7 years ago

I used to lurk when these healthy check-in threads were started and I always enjoyed reading the inspiring posts. We all want to save the world in our own ways, but we can't do so unless we're healthy!

I'll start... Since January I've lost 11 pounds. I've increased cardio and weights. I've also increased my yoga practice, begrudgingly. I have a love/hate relationship with the mat.

My diet has always been good but I'm drinking about 3x more water than I do over the winter. I've become very sensitive to sodium, esp. when eating out.

I've cut my alcohol consumption by more than half. I'm finding a balance here.

Goals: I want to lose a few more pounds, mostly for vanity reasons, but the scale WILL NOT BUDGE. I may be at my "set weight" or whatever right now.

I have a dr. appt in a few weeks for a check-up and bloodwork, and I'm anxious to see where I'm at. I need a new baseline for comparison, as my last bloodwork was about 3 years ago.

I also want to focus on more sleep. I average 6 hours a night, and I'd like to increase it to 7.

How about you?

Comments (38)

• hhireno
    7 years ago

A friend gave me a gift certificate for an evaluation with her personal trainer. I know and like the guy so I'm looking forward to this. I don't know if I'll commit to regular training, due to the cost, but I'd like his help to set some new goals and tweak my routine.

I need to do more bike riding, that's a goal I can set without the trainer's input.

I host a once-a-week evening walk for my women's club. I pick a new location and we walk for at least an hour. It's great - a little exercise, a little socializing, and a change from my normal morning walk location.

I'm content with my weight, eating habits, water consumption, and sleep.

User thanked hhireno
  • Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

DH bought me a Fitbit for Christmas. This has been such a motivation for me. It made me realize that I was too inactive. When we were on vacation I walked more than I ever have. A long morning walk, a moderate afternoon walk, the boardwalk for hours, and when we got back to our townhouse I would take another walk. It isn't as easy at home because I live in the country and walks around my property are not all that fun plus I have to deal with ground hog holes, downed limbs and branches etc.

Just this week I bought an Apple watch because the band on my fitbit was so annoying. It was a mistake because the watch just isn't up to snuff as far as an activity tracker but I still really like having it, especially the get up and move reminder. I think I will have to wear both the watch and the Fitbit so I have the best of both worlds.

I went gluten free last July and lost 14 pounds. I would like to lose another 5 but I'm not making any progress even though I don't eat much.

I'm 62 and take no prescription meds. My blood pressure is low/normal. I definitely need to drink a lot more water. I have an occasional glass of wine but no more than 2 glasses per month.

User thanked Holly- Kay
  • Related Discussions

February Healthy Check-in

Q

Comments (35)
    I just wanted to say that it's so inspiring to come here and read about everyone's efforts. We all have our down days but I know it helps me when I have some accountability to someone other than myself. I don't normally share my exercise highs/lows with others IRL (except dh and my exercise partners), and I don't normally "brag" about what I may have accomplished. But having a chance to share it with others here (who don't know me IRL) who are doing the same thing is a way to keep myself encouraged and accountable. And when I'm not feeling especially motivated, it's nice to come read a thread such as this one and see what everyone else is doing and think, gee, just go DO something. Hhireno, thanks for continuing to post these threads - and you are so kind to respond to each and every one with thoughtful words of encouragement and affirmation. Bethpen, I'm sorry that you are feeling so much stress and hope that you can find ways to cope. Baby steps are good, any step is good! If you can't find time to exercise, then do simple things like park as far as possible from where you are going rather than right near the door, take the stairs. And if you can find the time, try to make at least a few make ahead meals that are healthy so you can bring them with you up to NH so that you aren't relying on carb-heavy meals while you are there. I have a couple of good chicken recipes that are fairly easy (one is a Greek marinade that you can quickly make, put the chicken in a ziploc bag and freeze then take with you and then it's already for baking or grilling when it's meal time). If you are interested, I can post it here or email it to you. My friend just emailed me a bunch of recipes from a Bikini boot camp class she took - most are very easy and tasty. (I'm making one for dinner tonight - turkey lasagna with eggplant as the noodles). I'm sure you probably have plenty of healthy recipes...it's just making the time, I know!
    ...See More

May healthy check-in

Q

Comments (32)
    Reporting in. I like My Fitness Pal. It is pretty easy to use. I'm not 100% sure about following the guidelines. I'm keeping the carbs lower than it suggests, mostly because I know that is danger zone for me. The Fit Bit is fun. I sort of wish I had something that measured more, but I do like the size and ease of wearing it. I find it is pretty accurate measuring my sleep. My DH works nights and comes in at about 2:30AM, and it always registers me waking then. I've started working in the medical records department at my per diem job and sit at a computer all day. This could be part of the problem. This weekend I will be waitressing at my sister's restaurant, so I should catch up with the steps. I don't think I will be working quite as much so there will be more chance for moving. I haven't lost any weight this week. Gained a pound early,but I'm still just going to go along. Beth P.
    ...See More

June Healthy Check-in

Q

Comments (38)
    I have been horrible at my tracking! I haven't installed the app on my phone, but really should do it. I think my 'secret' is that I eat a green salad EVERY DAY, and I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. I rarely eat processed foods any more. Oh, I DO cheat-so to speak. I use blue cheese on my salads, the dressing is usually a type of vinagrette-and I know it's got sugar in it. But I don't eat any bread or wheat products. I pretty much cut out dairy (except for my blue cheese!) I snack on popcorn, carrots & hummus, or fruit. So let me see-This is what I had today: cup coffee w/non-dairy creamer and sweetener and a banana. Later I mixed up 1/2 c uncooked oatmeal (easily doubles when cooked), add some plain, organic soy milk and a teaspoon of sugar. (Sometimes I add dried fruit.) Lunch was an 8pt Smart Ones meal and a giant green salad w/lite raspberry vinagrette. Afternoon snack was a bag of lite micro pop corn. For dinner I stopped at Panera bread and got a full size steak & blue cheese chopped salad (no bread). I drink water through out the day and a Diet Pepsi with lunch and sip it through the afternoon.. I have some raspberries I just picked out of our yard that I may or may not eat for dessert, but I'm, still really full from the salad. Can't do exercise yet due to my broken back, but before I got hurt, i was planning to join the gym down the street to start using the treadmill and pool. Honestly, I don't know how I'm losing so much so fast-I think a lot has to do with cutting out wheat. I would love it if I could keep this pace up-I'd be at goal a lot sooner than I had hoped! But I fully expect it to grind to a halt one day and then I'll be stuck. However, I do know that I have made a choice to change how i eat, made a different relationship with food, so no matter how much or how fast I lose, eating healthier is my priority.
    ...See More

August Healthy Check-in

Q

Comments (94)
    Kellyeng, How did you make out with your thyroid results? Sueb, Sounds like you had a good start to your 50th bday goal by not gaining while on vacation. Build from there. Keep thinking positive and about lifestyle changes, not just weight loss. Trim 100-200 calories everyday, not so much your body misses them, enough to make difference over the course of a year. A little less cereal, a smaller amount of yogurt, one less piece of bread - you get the idea. Don't worry on the actual calorie amount, just tweak each meal by taking a smaller portion or skipping a calorie laden beverage. Whether we like it or not, movement is crucial to weight loss and maintenance. You need to find a way to move more. You know the usual things - park farther from the door, take the stairs, stand up more. Can you add an activity that doesn't seem like exercise? Horseback riding? Ice skating? Bike riding? Swimming or treading water? For fitness the expression is: don't sit when you can stand, don't stand when you can walk, don't walk when you can run (although I only run if I'm being chaaed). For long days touring when we travel, I tell my husband the rule changes to don't stand when you can sit, don't walk when you can ride, and don't ever pass a clean bathroom without using it. But I digress...
    ...See More
  • always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

I had my yearly check up a couple weeks ago and given the same advice as last year, cut back on sweets/bread and start taking vitamin D. I've been more conscious of the sweets and breads I shove in my face....but I haven't picked up the vitamin D yet. Been better at drinking more water....I don't eat a lot, I don't drink but I do know I need to get up and get more active.

User thanked always1stepbehind
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

I did beach yoga recently. It was my first time doing any yoga. It was fun but some of the moves, and my low blood pressure, made me dizzy. The worst was standing, then bending over to look through my legs at the ocean behind me. Yikes! I don't need to see the ocean upside down.

I do need to incorporate more stretching into my routine.

I've worn a pedometer or Fitbit since 2002. I do find it encourages and reminds me to move more than my natural preset.

User thanked hhireno
  • kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

I made a commitment to get a full 8 hours of sleep every day and eat 4 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit every day. I want to add another serving of veggies ( I don't count the salad ) Dont really want veggies for breakfast and so it's hard to add another to lunch or dinner. I could do a raw veggie snack between lunch and dinner with a carb that I eat around 4 pm. I try to not eat 3 hours before bed so my body can do the maximum detox. When I get all this in, I feel pretty good. Sometimes I'm busy and I don't get all the veggies. The fruit and carbs are easy to eat!

I just got a small trampoline and am bouncing every day for 20 minutes. I do it for 10 minutes before breakfast for and again before dinner. This is supposed to get your lymphatic system moving so you can clean your body of toxins. I hope I feel the difference in a few months.

User thanked kittymoonbeam
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for sharing your habits and goals, and I enjoyed reading them. I need some extra motivation in this summer heat. I may have to look into a Fitbit or the like. I exercise 6 days a week, but my job involves long periods of sitting.

Hhireno, I have very low blood pressure too and yoga used to make me dizzy (although I think looking at the ocean upside down would make anyone dizzy!). When I learned to breathe through the poses, the dizziness subsided. I can't really explain the process but I spent a few classes learning how to breathe. At the time, it drove me nuts to sit there and "learn" how to breathe, but it did work.

Gsciencechick, your tomatoes look healthy and delicious!

• mojomom
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm still working full time, but I love how my fitbit encourages me to clinb the stairs between our law firm (spread over six floors) and makes me get up and walk every now and then. Even a few loops around my floor helps. I'm eating pretty healthily this summer -- lots of fruits and veggies -- but with a few spluges on ice cream now and then. Weight is about 5 pounds down since I got my Fitbit 6 weeks ago and is currently on the low end of ideal for my age and height --5'5"/122 lbs. Need to get back on vitamin D, but I an tell the added walking + 12-29 stairs a day is helping overall -- but I've still go a ways to go to really get in shape.

User thanked mojomom
  • Springroz
    7 years ago

Back in March, we bought bicycles at a sporting goods chain. We wore them out in about 6 weeks, so we went to the bicycle shop, and upgraded. DH, DS and I are enjoying these things tremendously!

Once a week, our local motorsports track is opened to walkers and cyclists. It is a 3+ mile track, with a couple of hills. The first week, we went around twice. Now we are up to six laps, and then on the weekend we ride on local greenbelts, usually about 30 miles.

Iknow the low carb diet is controversial, but if I eat any carbs during the day before I ride, they drag me SO down! I feel infinitely better without them!

User thanked Springroz
  • Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

Gscience, my Fitbit measures heart rate and even sleep patterns. Actually my Apple Watch also monitors heart rate but maybe you mean it has to constantly display your heart rate?

User thanked Holly- Kay
  • gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Right, many Fitbits and the Apple and Polar Watches have a HR function, but they do not broadcast to the cardio machine or Spin bike display for continuous monitoring. I would need to look at my wrist to monitor my HR in class vs. it being right in front of me. So, that's why I find the chest strap more useful for HR. I'm also used to that, so maybe that's why it's important to me. I've had the Polar for well over 10 years.

User thanked gsciencechick
  • Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I've never tried a spin class. I think I might like it!

User thanked Holly- Kay
  • gsciencechick
    7 years ago

The hardest thing for someone new is the bike seat. I use padded bike shorts but really I could do without them if I had to. We do spend some time out of the seat in each class. You can certainly try a class. We have all ages and all fitness levels. Some places may have a beginner class or else just get there early and tell the instructor you are new and you will need help with the bike set up. At our Y's, some classes are 45 min, most are 55 minutes, and there will even be 70 min or 90 min classes. I sometimes do the 70 min on Sat mornings. But if you're new maybe try a shorter class if that is offered. The larger Y's have multiple classes per day.

Although "Spinning" is a franchise, most of the Y's around here have dropped the Spinning affiliation and just call it cycle class. I still call it Spin just out of old habits. I think I started around 1997 or so!

User thanked gsciencechick
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Lisa, congrats on your weight loss! Keep at it, and let us know about your upcoming test results. I am no expert, but I do know that sometimes you do p,at ear with weight loss, especially if you are doing pretty much the same cardio and weight routine. The answer would be to up the intensity gradually with one or the other, usually cardio first, with some longer time, faster periods mixed in, etc..

With the hot, humid temps that started in June here in the south, my running mileage has dropped. I finished two half marathons in April and had really good times for my age. Placed in my age group in one race. I have done a couple of 5k's and a 10k since but mostly just running on my own. I am back to a Pilates class once a week. DH has gone with me on occasion so that's actually been fun for us. And I do some weights and planks at home. I am faced with some running on the dreadmill to get in some miles due to this hot weather. I hate running in the heat!

Gscience, your tomatoes look great. I am also growing Sun sugars (a favorite), Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Sweet 100 cherry, Dixie Red, Better Boy and a Roma type. About to go make some sauce this afternoon with the baskets full I have.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Holly-Kay, another thumbs up for spinning. I used to enjoy those classes. It was challenging but you can also ease into it because you control the tension on your bike. The music was loud and hip-hoppy, which I didn't mind for an hour because it was rather motivating. I stopped going simply because the classes became so popular that you had to show up at least 20 minutes early just to get a bike. And sometimes not even then.

Thanks for the encouragement, OutsidePlaying, and I do need to ramp it up. I used to go to my local track and do interval walking/jogging/sprinting and I recall a noticeable difference in my fitness level from doing this. I'd do something similar on the treadmill (yes, a dreadmill!) by boosting the incline for 4 or 5 minutes periodically. I need to get back to this... thank you for the reminder!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Springroz, I wanted to add that I'm a low-carb eater too not for dietary reasons but medical reasons because of the reaction I have when eating processed foods. I still eat plenty of fruit and can tolerate quinoa. But nothing from a box or a loaf. I can't remember the last time I ate bread or pasta. I'm sure there are types now that I could tolerate if I experimented, but I'm out of the habit of eating that type of food and don't miss it enough to try. The gluten-free products don't even sit well with me.

ETA your rides sound like fun and congrats on upgrading your bikes! Money well spent.

• Springroz
    7 years ago

Thanks, LisaD!! We do very little GF junk, too. Maybe once per month, i get a spaghetti craving, so I cook some GF pasta and make some sauce, but that is it.

We eat a good amount of berries, but not a lot of other fruit, because DH's blood sugar reacts to it! Without it, his A1c is below 5.....

User thanked Springroz
  • neetsiepie
    7 years ago

I have had a bad year health wise-it seems I have one thing after another! I had a bad case of vertigo that lasted about a week; a blood clot (not life threatening) in one leg; a sinus infection that wouldn't go away; and I'm now on my 3rd week of antibiotics for MRSA!

This has made me reevaluate my health-many of my issues are related to the lymphedema (incurable) and prompt me to try to get more regular exercise and practice better self care.

The one good thing I've done is I've practically given up drinking Diet Pepsi. I've been addicted to it for years, but they recently changed the formula and I didn't like it, so I bought myself a cute water bottle and started filling that up several times a day. I drank a DP yesterday but I think that was the first in weeks! It's a baby step, but a good one.

I want to start doing some yoga-a man on a Lymphedema FB group I belong to started doing it as part of a 6 week challenge. The man stated he weighed 338lb and has limited mobility, but every day he practiced and posted photos of his journey. It's now been 3 months that he practices every day and his progress is amazing. He's not lost much weight, but his flexibility and mobility have improved tremendously. Such an inspiration!

User thanked neetsiepie
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Your weight will not budge on the schedule you (you, the intellectual) desire. Fat requires blood and nerve supply. It takes months for that to be reabsorbed (by you, the physical being)=plateau. It is super important not to back slide during this time. You are doing fine. Please stay the course. Weight loss will occur again, but not as fast as you would like..

User thanked practigal
  • Caroline Hamilton
    7 years ago

I am a runner. I took up running last year and since then have run about 10 races, the longest being a half marathon. I went from being a 10 minute a mile runner to an 8:30 a mile runner and of that I am very proud being that I am in my 40's. I am training for my first full marathon 26.2 miles in the fall. I regularly run 25+ miles a week. That being said I have actually gained weight! I am a petite person and while my clothes still fit and I am the same size, the number on the scale has creeped up about 5 lbs. and does not budge. Its very discouraging!

User thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Caroline, I found my weight didn't change significantly when I started training for a half-marathon either. I'm in my 60's (almost 68), and the main difference is in the amount of food you need, especially complex carbs, to fuel yourself for long distance running. You might talk with a nutritionist to make sure you are getting the right amount of nutrition, especially before long runs, to sustain your needs. And of course you need nutrition during those runs, so that adds calories you wouldn't normally be taking in. It's weird how that works but I have to go to a whole different way of meal planning for a while when I'm seriously training.

• Caroline Hamilton
    7 years ago

Thank you! Good for you to keep running in your 60's! That is amazing actually and I hope to be there one day. I actually do business with a woman who is a nutritionist and was thinking of speaking to her about it. I am not usually hungry after long runs but the next day - whoa! I also wake up in the middle of the night sometimes ravenously hungry. I don't usually eat before races or fuel during (even the half) but I know I need a new strategy for the full. It's a balancing act for sure.

User thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • User
    7 years ago

What a great thread, filled with inspiration and encouragement! Congratulations to so many who have met goals, and are in the process of getting there.

We have a hiking trip planned in a few months so have been conditioning ourselves with daily "suburban hikes". Started out going 3 miles and some days we'll do as many as 7 miles or a bit more. We've recently discovered a heavily wooded area with rougher dirt trails, which I much prefer over paved walking surfaces. It runs alongside a little creek and we've really enjoyed getting out there as often as possible. We have several routes that we choose from daily, trying to keep it interesting. It's just a nice way for us to spend time together outdoors daily, although it's been hotter than all get out (upper 90s and we'll reach our first triple-digit day soon). I'm actually encouraged that we have built endurance in the heat - something I've long struggled with when it came to summer exercising outdoors.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be losing weight - although I have noticed that my legs are slimmer and my muscle tone is better, so I have to believe that things are sort of "shifting" in a good way, and am trying not to let the number on the scale be of any concern. I'm not actually overweight, but like many women wouldn't mind dropping about 10 pounds.

One issue I've struggled with is blisters on my feet. I've had my shoes professionally fitted and still have trouble because my feet are just wonky. It doesn't help that I change from sneakers to hiking boots - seems each time I switch there's a new "hot spot" that develops either on my toes or my heels. I'm determined to press through this, though. I had this trouble a number of years ago when I was starting to run and just had to work through it as best I could.

I've noticed that the regular "hikes" have greatly improved my sleep. I'm ready for bed by 9:00 or 9:30 at the latest, and fall asleep almost instantly when my head hits the pillow. I may wake once in the night, but it's brief, and then I feel fully rested when the alarm goes off at 6:00. Actually, I wake up before the alarm goes off. I've started getting up early on the weekends too instead of sleeping in. I think my sleeping in habit was contributing to weekend headaches and I just didn't get as much accomplished when I lounged around.

User thanked User
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Ida, that is great that the hiking has improved your sleep. And of course your shape, & even if you haven't lost much weight, I'm sure you've improved your overall health. I hate that you've had trouble with blisters on your feet. Nothing worse, IMO. I'm sure you are wearing the best socks available. I love Smartwool hiking socks, but there are many good ones on the market these days. Other than that, there are moleskin patches you could try. I've been fortunate in that regard, but bought some new running shoes recently that gave me a blister on my heel. Never has happened before, but I wore a different/higher sock the next time and it solved the problem. Now I just have to go buy some more socks like those I guess.

Caroline, the older I got the more I had to be aware of digestive issues and energy issues and what works for me. Eating right and fueling the night before is important to me. I always eat some oatmeal (steel cut or regular, doesn't seem to matter) with dried cherries and walnuts 1-2 hours in the morning before a long run. Maybe a half banana. I also became a big believer in a salt lick (I used the powdered kind, some use the tabs), especially in this heat. There are a few Gu-type energy-replacement products I like (not Gu but can't remember the brand name right now). I cannot use Gatorade (makes me sick, literally) but can use a little watered-down Skratch electrolyte replacement mixed with my water. And yes, several hours after a big run, I'm usually starving.

• mitchdesj
    7 years ago

I started going to spin classes and getting hooked on it: I find it difficult and I take a bike in the back so I can go at my own pace.

User thanked mitchdesj
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd be right there in the back with you, Mitchdesj! I'm not particularly competitive but will push myself on my own. I'm never at the front of the room.

IdaClaire, congratulations on the slimmer legs and more muscle tone. I'd take that over weight loss any day. As well as the time spent with my partner.

Neetsiepie, your FB friend reminds me of a yoga class I took about 5 years ago. It was a small group and one was an overweight man in his 50s. During our introductions he said he felt like he didn't really belong there but wanted to give yoga a try. Our instructor was so supportive and encouraging to him (and not in a patronizing "oh you poor thing you're doing it wrong" way). He struggled but kept showing up for every class. It was really inspiring to see his progress and I believe the instructor made all the difference. I'm so glad to read your FB friend has found a way to incorporate this into his life.

I'm not familiar with your condition but I would encourage you to give yoga a try. Find a studio or facility that offers a variety of classes, and call and explain your needs. My local studio offers classes based on health-related issues (cancer survivors, prenatal, etc), as well as a beginners series that's so helpful. A phone call and visit will give you a "feel" for the studio, and you should feel comfortable there. Please give it a try and keep me posted!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Practical wrote: Your weight will not budge on the schedule you (you, the intellectual) desire. Fat requires blood and nerve supply. It takes months for that to be reabsorbed (by you, the physical being)=plateau. It is super important not to back slide during this time. You are doing fine. Please stay the course. Weight loss will occur again, but not as fast as you would like.

Yep, my logical side knows this and thank you for the encouragement. I take the whole "make it a lifestyle" advice seriously. While I'm tempted to sign up for a protein shake program or rigorous cross-fit type of training, I know these are habits I could not maintain long-term. I have friends who try these strategies and I sense their desperation in continuing them even though it's not really sustainable, because they know once they quit, everything gained will be lost.

• cmm1964
    7 years ago

I still enjoy vigorous workouts and do p90 x twice a week, boot camp once a week and a strength class once a week at the local Y. I would love to add a stretch or yoga class but feel intimidated. I also have the mindset which is wrong that if I am at the gym I need to be breaking a sweat. I am 52 and have some feet problems (arthritic big toe) but still enjoy my work outs. My mom is 76 and does Body pump, spin and hot yoga. She looks fantastic. I live in a high retiree area (SW FL) and am amazed at the number of older women at the Y that are in wonderful physical shape.

User thanked cmm1964
  • just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

I was doing very well with close to an hour of swimming with squats, lunges and upper arm weight exercises after. Did this at least three days a week with a few Pilates vids thrown in. I lost five lbs with improved food choice picks and want to lose another five lbs. Now I have to ride out a particularly bad attack of fibromyalgia before I can continue. If an attack is mild I still exercise lightly but this time I can't due to muscle cramps, spsams, severe (all) joint swelling and an urgency to be close to a bathroom. The last few days I have been sitting around with mind crippling Fibro brain fog eating oatmeal cranberry cookies. Hopefully this will all pass in a week or so and then I will get back on the rollercoaster ride to staying fit. I have to work around my ailments but...I don't let it stop me.

User thanked just_terrilynn
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Cmm1964 If you can do p90x you could easily do yoga. Yoga should be great for that arthritic big toe. I started yoga in my early 50s and was inflexible initially. Today I have freedom of movement and no pain. I can't recommend yoga enough, but with one caveat-be prepared to search around a bit. Some teachers will defintely be better for you than others. We discussed yoga at my book club the other week. The consensus was that the more gentle the yoga the better the results and conversely the more athletic the yoga the less the results and the less motivated they were to continue.

Previously, a really bad a doctor had told me "you are getting older, you are getting arthritis, get over it." meaning get over my angst, not get over my supposed arthritis. Needless to say in the odd way that the world works, this egotistical misogynistic young doctor had misdiagnosed the condition. It was trigger finger - which yet another doctor incorrectly explained could never be corrected without surgery - I no longer have a problem with it, massage, gentle stretching and short-term reduced use brought it back to normal… yoga, yard work, hiking, biking, dog walking, weight training, etc. You really have to look out for your own health and mobility.

User thanked practigal
  • Springroz
    7 years ago

We should all be proud that we can take responsibility for our own health!

I remember feeling personally insulted at the roll out of Obamacare, because they kept saying they were looking for healthy 20 year olds to offset the unhealthy 40 year olds....and I was a healthy 50-something year old at the time!!!

User thanked Springroz
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Justerrilynn, I hope your fibromyalgia flare-up subsides soon. That must be miserable to deal with. But your perspective that it's to be worked around is a good one--once it's past you, you'll get back on track.

• mitchdesj
    7 years ago

I just read this article about carb cycling, explains on which days to eat more carbs, which days less, and I found it interesting since I have curbed my carbs consumption somewhat, (for weight control and general well being), basically this explains how to do it for more effective fat burning. I find that some days I really crave carbs and can't feel full until I've had some.

carb cycling

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

My husband and I are both 50, and a few months ago we joined a 6-week crossfit "challenge" at a local gym. It included a full nutritional component, where they gave us an eating plan for the 6 weeks, and as many 30-minute trainer-led workouts as we wanted to attend each week (they recommend 3-4). Even though it is a gym, and their goal is to increase membership, they told us that getting fit and losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise, which I have heard before. In the 6 weeks, I lost 9 pounds, and my husband lost 28. We both lost LOTS of inches, my husband's BP has gone back to an acceptable range, and we have a lot more energy.

The nutritional component was mostly no or low carb (depending on the week), with one cheat meal a week on Saturday. Cheat meals were included so that we would be less likely to feel deprived, and also for a little carb cycling. For our cheat meal, we might have two tacos or a slice of pizza or a sandwich or gluten free pasta. Guess what? We felt terrible after the cheat meal! If we happened to have it at lunch, I was worthless the rest of the day - all I wanted to do was lay around and sleep off the carbs. After a few weekends of that, we tried things like eating beans, quinoa, or even a few servings of fruit. We felt less sluggish, but still a little sleepy.

We felt so great after the 6 weeks were up that we joined the gym and have continued to go 4X weekly. We still mostly adhere to the low-carb eating plan because we both have some additional weight to lose, and we also figure it is (hopefully!) our lifestyle now - we don't want to go back to lazy eating. The crossfit sessions are hard work, but a ton of fun and we feel so good and energetic afterward. The exercises switch up all the time, the sessions go fast, and best of all, I feel stronger and I'm developing muscles I haven't seen in 20 years. :)

• Springroz
    7 years ago

Bluebell....that has been our experience, also.

We normally do a bit over 15 miles (5 circuits of the 3+ mile course) on our Tuesday rides.....but if I have any carbs at lunch, I can barely do ONE. If I continue to push past the sluggishness, I burn the glucose up, and then I feel almost nirmal, and can continue the ride.

DH said, last Saturday, " If you had told me 2 years ago that I could cut up a 2 foot tree, ride a bicycle 14 miles, and still feel like dancing for 2 hours, I would have told you more than how crazy you are!!!!".

He could barely walk into a store from the parking lot.....

• mitchdesj
    7 years ago

bluebell , what an inspiration and nice story !! I agree with you that it becomes a lifestyle, not just something you do for X amount of time. Some periods are easier than others to eat more healthy but overall the guideline is always there.

I need to tame my "sugar monster", this one is more difficult for me than carbs/gluten.

• mitchdesj
    7 years ago

springroz also , good for you and your husband.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mitchdesj, your article reminded me of the results of a British study that showed that cutting carbs for 2 days a week was effective. There are other restrictions but it seems to be the same concept as carb cycling and has research to back it.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/08/study-cutting-carbs-two-days-a-week-is-better-than-full-time-dieting/

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/07/29/205845319/two-day-diets-how-mini-fasts-can-help-maximize-weight-loss

Congratulations, Bluebell66--that's wonderful!