SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Ceiling fans and whole house fans in older MHs?

Debbie B.
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My 1979 SW has 7' ceilings. This really doesn't bother my daughter Joy or me, as she is about 5'2.5" and I'm 5'1" . I should say, rather, it doesn't bother me except when I look up and think about lighting and about covering up the hideous MH foam ceiling with ceiling tiles (that also come in foam, if I need to worry about weight--they are stick on and look really nice).

We've been lucky this summer here in eastern Washington state. It's been an unusually cool summer. It's supposed to hit 79 today, which would be about the hottest day we've had. It's mostly been in the 60's and low 70's, which is perfect, in my way of thinking. :-)

Here's our current AC system:

We have four of these Lasko fans, one each in my room, Joy's room, library, and kitchen. We've barely had to run them this summer. The most used one is in the kitchen because I get hot when I'm cooking or washing dishes. We have a window A/C in the living room that we use when we're watching TV, but usually run it for a few minutes, then turn it off.

I should also mention that all our windows, except the two bedrooms, are open 24/7. Here's the view I get lying on my bed out the window:

My window is open from about 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM daily. There is always a breeze here, so the cross-breeze we get through the house with all the windows open is really, really nice and cuts way down on the need to run the fans or window A/C.

Bentley, my cat, also uses my window as his "kitty TV" (yes, he has his own pillow):

OK, so back to my original question (did I just hijack my own post, haha?). Here is a picture of my ceiling, from my bed upon which I'm lying. I have no earthly idea why the previous owner painted the battens a hideous yellow. Luckily, this is the only room in which she did this. This ceiling is throughout the whole house. I'm glad it's not popcorn!

The overhead light, sans shade, is one of the many lights/outlets that do not work in this house. I'm getting the entire house rewired in September. I'm also getting some new fixtures because I assume it would be less costly to have the electrician install them while he/she is already here rewiring. Am I correct about that? All the rooms and the hallway have overhead lighting except the living room. I prefer lamps over overhead lighting in the LR anyway, so I'm not planning to install anything there.

Let me also add that the current (original) roof is flat. I had it snow coated last November and it made it through an unusually snowy winter and rainy spring with no leaking whatsoever. I plan to put a new roof on in a couple of years. It will be pitched and have an overhang and possibly rain gutters.

I'll also say that our summers are usually not this mild. Our "A/C system" of open windows, floor fans, and LR window A/C has been more than adequate this summer (so far), but I'm not confident it will be good enough for future summers when daily temps in the 90's are possible. I'm hoping to put in a minisplit with heat pump, as the furnace is non-operational and our current heating system is space heaters.

However, this may not happen as soon as I had previously planned, because there are some urgent problems with the house that I have to fix first. I'm not wealthy and I don't believe in taking on a lot of debt, especially for this fixed-upper, so I have to save up money for each project.

I live in a temperate climate. A few days of snow in the winter (except last winter when it was a few weeks), and only very rarely does it hit 100 in the summer--usually temps in the high 80s and low to mid 90s (except this summer, which is about 12 degrees cooler than normal). The highest temperature I've seen in the five years I've lived in eastern WA was 102, and the lowest was 19. There is almost always a breeze and we get occasional high winds. It is not super humid like it is in the south and east, but it is not as dry as the southwest.

OK, so based on all the previous information, here are my specific questions:

1. Can I install ceiling fans, flush mount, in a house with 7' ceilings? The "husband half" of the previous owners is 6'5" and I can see it being problematic for him, but for most folks, and especially for Joy and me, I don't see it being an issue except perhaps aesthetically. I would put them in the bedrooms, library, and eat-in kitchen, for a total of four. Reversing the direction in the winter would also help recirculate the heat. I'm a fan of ceiling fans, no pun intended, because they're relatively inexpensive to run and the newer ones are very quiet and powerful.

2. Joy asked me the other day if it would be possible to raise the ceiling in the great room (living room and eat-in kitchen open concept). This would be for aesthetic reasons. We'd like to put in faux vintage tin ceiling tiles (either foam or tin that has been distressed to look vintage), and we're worried that with the low ceiling it will look even lower and not achieve the look we're going for. If we were to raise the ceiling another foot or two, would that be done when the new roof is going on? Could we do just the great room or would it make more sense (and be less costly) to do it for the whole house? How expensive do you think it would be? (House is about 900 sq. ft.)

3. When I get the new roof, I plan to put in good insulation. The older MHs like mine, have extremely minimal insulation. I'll be getting new floors before the roof and will insulate at that time. "New floors" will entail fixing the joists in the "sunken" areas, reinforcing the joists under the washer/dryer and bathtub, installing good insulation, laying down a moisture barrier, and a new 1/2" plywood subfloor. Plank vinyl (faux hardwood) throughout, except bathrooms, which will be sheet vinyl in the full bath and tiles in the tiny powder room. If it would save a lot of money, I may do carpet in the bedrooms and library, rather than the vinyl planks. I also have to put in new siding before the new roof. I'm hoping to do Hardy plank, and if so, I may not need more insulation in the walls, since Hardy plank is naturally insulating. I'm planning faux river rock from fauxpanels.com for the skirting and will insulate that, as well as getting the fire resistant option. Of course, Hardy plank is naturally fire proof. Some interior walls must be replaced, due to extensive water damage, but I can do that any time since they are not load bearing.

OK, back on track here, my question is: with the new pitched roof and the insulation that will be blown in, would there be enough room to put in a whole house fan? Can a MH attic be made to support the weight of a whole house fan? Is it even advisable/necessary? The last (stick built) house I bought with my ex husband, circa 1995, had a whole house fan, and it was wonderful! You just crack the windows a little bit and that fan kept the whole (5 BD, 3 full BA, two story) house cool. We set the central A/C to around 76, and it rarely came on. But I understand that experience doesn't necessarily translate to my current situation. Considering that our current "HVAC" consists of windows, floor fans, and space heaters, with almost no insulation; and considering that I want to install four ceiling fans; and considering that the house will eventually have adequate insulation in the floors, ceiling, and walls; and considering that I'm putting in a minisplit with a heat pump-- should I even be thinking about a whole house fan?

My goals are simple: keeping my house relatively warm in the winter and relatively cool in the summer. I want it to be as cost efficient as possible, but I also want quality and durability. And I'd like it to be aesthetically pleasing.

To recap:

1. Can I install flush mount ceiling fans in 7' ceilings?

2. Could the ceilings be raised without breaking the bank?

3. Can a whole house fan be installed in a MH attic? If so, would it be cost effective and advisable?

4. Am I correct in assuming it would be less expensive to have new lighting fixtures (as well as additional outlets) installed while the electrician is rewiring the house, rather than having him or her come back later to do that?

THANK YOU for any guidance you can give me! :-) Have a wonderful day!

Comments (9)

Sponsored