SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

A reveal: 10 months later, we are still 99.9% done!

scoutfinch72
7 years ago

Last July we had a leak in our laundry room that also affected the flooring in the kitchen and office. We hadn't planned to remodel our kitchen for another year, but the damaged flooring pushed the timeline up and we got started much earlier. We did planning in late August and early September last year and started demolition on October 8th. We cooked dinner in there for the first time on Thanksgiving, with no doors or drawer fronts! We were substantially complete by the first of February, with the backsplash lagging behind until April sometime. I've been struggling to make a decision about window treatments ever since. At this point it will be at least another month until that gets accomplished so I'm calling it. We're done!

The house was built in 1979 and the kitchen was mostly original. The dishwasher, fridge, windows, faucet, and flooring had been replaced and lighting had been updated at some point, but the cabinets were original. Despite their age, they were in excellent condition. We had briefly considered just giving things a facelift with new paint on the cabinets, new counters, appliances and flooring, but we really felt like we needed more space in the kitchen and a bigger dining area.

This was the old layout:

After a lot of back and forth and advice from the generous posters here at GW this is where we ended up:

These are iPhone snaps, since I've been waiting forever for the GC's photographer to come take pics. I hope to update with better pictures soon.

Here is the kitchen before:

During demolition, when I wondered if we'd lost our minds:

And the result, with which I am THRILLED! We have so much light coming in that it's hard to take pics that aren't washed out.

Here are some of the nitty gritty details and then I will post some before and after shots taken from roughly the same angles in the comments below.

Range - Samsung NX58H9950WS 5.8 cu ft. Slide in Gas Chef Collection Range with True Convection

Fridge - existing Whirlpool to be replaced eventually

Dishwasher - Bosch SHX65T55UC 500 series 44dB Stainless Steel

Microwave - Panasonic NN-SA661S 1.2 cu ft 1200w

Sink - Elkay ECTRU30179R Crosstown Single Bowl Undermount sink with offset drain in Satin.

Disposal - Insinkerator Evolution Compact

Faucet - Delta Savile Stainless 1 handle pull down with soap dispenser

Recessed lights - Philips 65W Equivalent Soft White 2700K Retrofit downlight. Mine are 400ish lumens, but they have a 610 lumen version now. I’m planning to move these to our basement family room and replace the ones in the kitchen with the brighter ones.

Under cabinet lighting - Inspired LED Normal Bright Flexible LED Strips, hardwired with dimmer.

Cabinets - from The Cabinet Site, a local cabinet shop. All custom sizes, frameless melamine boxes, paint grade poplar doors with MDF center panels, dovetail drawers, soft close hinges, full extension glides. Perimeter cabinets are painted a bright white and the island is color matched to Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal.

Cabinet Pulls - Amerock Mulholland 96mm and 128mm

Granite - Viscont White (aka Silver Cloud)

Backsplash - Arizona Tile Skylights Fog 3x6 glass tiles

Wall color - Benjamin Moore Silver Lake

Pendants - Linea Di Liara Ariella Ovale Clear glass one-light stem hung pendant, brushed nickel

Chandelier - Lowes Allen and Roth Vallymede Multi-light Clear Glass Jar Pendant

Flooring - 3/4” x 2 1/2” solid #2 Red Oak, site finished. Water popped and stained with Minwax Early American. 3 coats of satin polyurethane.

Laundry room flooring - 18 x 18 California Gold slate tile.

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro