SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Challenges: table, nook, chairs, rug(s), plants

caroline94535
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Now that the storm door is installed, I want to move on to making the world's smallest breakfast nook a bit more inviting, colorful, and "cute/charming/interesting."

It is at the south end of my (almost) 12' wide by 23-ish foot long living room.

I have several issues. Please feel free to address as few or as many as you care to.

Smaller table - I moved the 36" round, vintage, pedestal table into the nook. It's on a cast iron, brass-plated base. I love it and don't intend to replace it. With this table and these chairs there is plenty of room for us to pull out the chairs and sit comfortably here.

Chairs - Right now I have our two extra dining table chairs pulled up to it. Even I can see they do not work. What types of chairs would you use? I don't like acrylic chairs, and I won't go expensive.

Table cloth - I was raised from birth eating on tables covered with starched and ironed table clothes. White ones on Sundays. No matter that we were poor as Church mice, and no matter what we had for the meals, they were served with the proper plates, utensils, and on clean linen.

I love tablecloths. My poor husband cannot sit at a table that is properly dressed without pulling the tablecloth sideways, or off, or spilling. It makes him miserable to try to eat on a "real" table cloth.

Solution? I have reverted to using vinyl table cloths. I can feel my Grandmother spinning in her grave. It kills me, but they do add color and pattern, I can pretend they are "real," and he is very comfortable using them.

For this table I found a "fitted" elasticized vinyl tablecloth - it looks like a huge shower cap! To satisfy my lust for linens, I put an old lace tablecloth over it. When it's time to eat, I whisk the lace off and toss it over the back of my recliner. We eat on the vinyl; I clear and clean the table, and put the lace back on.

I think I need an area rug under the table. Should I get that before or after I decide on two "new" chairs? I also plan on a better rug to go by the front door.

What would you do?

I have an appointment right now, but I'll be asking about hanging two large houseplants from the ceiling, or setting a 45" tall console table for them next to the window, behind the table, when I get back.

I got rain on the lens of my camera; please excuse the spots.

Here's the table with an old 52" square lace tablecloth over the vinyl cover.

Lace cloth removed. The "brown" in the foreground is the back of Wes' recliner.

Looking at the entry/breakfast area from the opening into the kitchen.

I think a round rug under the table should coordinate wityh an oval/square (?) rug that will fit from the closet door to nearly the heat vent.

I want a cabinet of some sort to sit parallel to the closet in the 20 or so inches between the front door frame and the heat register. It can be up to 40" wide.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH