SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Help me. I am an idiot.

mrspete
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Earlier this week I bought my daughter a wedding dress, and as we left the little bridal shop I laid down one rule: Stop looking. I told her that she'd chosen a lovely dress and continuing to look could only bring unhappiness. Why didn't I listen to my own advice?

My husband and I started -- waaay long ago -- with the idea that we want something along the lines of a Southern Cape Cod with a porch. Something like this:

We have found (and finagled) a house plan that we really like, that is practical for our retirement home needs, and that is easily affordable.

We have loads of traditional /transitional inspiration pictures like these:

I love the plans we've made!

So WHY when a house plan popped up on Pinterest did I look at it ... and then look at it again ... and then look at it again? Even though it's not even remotely what we've saidsaidsaid we want?

The floorplan is great -- open floorplan, very workable for a retired couple:

I see 2-3 small things I'd want to alter. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

But the exterior. I really don't go for Modern:

I do like the room-like entryway, though it's a far cry from my Southern front porch:

And the modest dining room with all that great storage against the wall and the huge windows ... but how will my round table /ladder back chairs fit in:
But the Great Room is the real draw -- I like the positioning of the fireplace /the extended hearth and TV, and, again, the light is great:
And though I don't like the kitchen as much as the one in our "old" plan, it's perfectly workable, and I like the connection between the kitchen and the dining room. And the pass-through to the grilling porch would be great:
I'm an idiot for even glancing at another floor plan. Stupid Pinterest for bringing it into my scope of awareness.

I can't see my grandfather clock, cottage-look bed, or china hutch fitting into Modern. And I don't want to ditch my plans for plantation shutters.

I love the wide-open windows in this plan, yet I don't like that these windows don't appear to open.

Would this plan be completely ruined if it were less Modern?

Again, feel free to tell me I'm being an idiot. I know it.

Comments (36)