SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Concerning privacy...

Texas_Gem
7 years ago

I know the discussion has been brought up more than once, concerning online identity and privacy.

Most recently I stated that some here might be surprised to know what I know about them. As I stated at the time, I have no nefarious purpose, just simple curiosity on just how much I can find out about people with such limited information.

I thought others might appreciate this article and accompanying video that basically shows exactly how easy it is to find your info.

After watching it, I laughed, turned to my husband and said, "they did almost the exact same thing I do when searching someone!!"

Even IF you have your Facebook profile so locked down that I can't find you through a public search, if I Google your name "John Smith" plus location plus Facebook, I will see any page or business you have ever liked or reviewed.

Now I can see your profile. It's pretty locked down, no friends to show, the only posts I can see on your page is when you changed your profile picture. Huh...there seem to be several "likes" on that recent pic.

One of the people who liked your recent profile pic, the name sounds "young" (the young tend to be less vigilant about securing profiles) and they happen to talk a lot about their aunt "your name".

Now I go to their friends list and look for anyone that appears to be family. A quick check of their profiles let's me know if they are locked down or if they happen to reveal stuff publicly.

And THATS how, I, a person with no ill intent, can easily find out all your personal information.

Imagine if I was a scammer?

I don't say any of this to scare others, I say it so others are aware that, if I can find out such intimate details on your life when you tried to be so careful, imagine what others could find.

You should NEVER be cavalier about the info you post publicly...you never know whose reading it.

Comments (20)