SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

Stinging insect ID need help

canishel
7 years ago

There is an aggressive flying insect(s) that come from the woods and pesters me when I'm working with wood power tools. This "work" goes on around my house or in the garage, about 20-25 yards from the woods. So the aggression is intentional.

At first, I thought it was a horsefly. It's smaller than a carpenter bee and larger than a honeybee. Not a wasp, based on the apparent absence of a "waist" between the thorax and abdomen. That is, it's not long and skinny. I can't tell the colors since it doesn't land anywhere that I can see any characteristics. But it's not red. It flies continually and pesters me. When I try to spray it with wasp spray, it flies back into the woods.

Today it stung me on my cheekbone. It flew off. The pain was much less than a yellow jacket and just a little more than a sweat bee.

Any ideas what it could be, or why it's attacking me? Why it attracted to the sound of power tools? Or is it attracted to the scent of cut wood? I live in East TN.

I'm sorry I don't have a photo, but it flies too fast and randomly for me to take a photo.

Thanks for any help or leads.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville