SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandyscherer

New Farmhouse landscape - master/garage area

farmdrmer
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

Im taking a shot at posting multiple areas of the yard for our new build that need help. If the photos don't work I'll take new ones. Thanks for the guidance!

background:. We built a new farmhouse style home last year. The interior style is traditional - not rustic. We are on 60 acres of family land, but what we aren't currently using is farmed. There is about 5 acres of woods in between the house and the road, so you can't see the house directly in front from the road. I think it's about 900 ft driveway. But you can see the back of the house diagonal from the road at a distance. We are zone 6b. We are a family with two small, active kiddos.

Future yard plans include building a pole barn southeast of house in the next year. A large garden will be planted in front of barn area south of house, and I hope to do my butterfly garden landscaping in the area around the barn. On the southeast side of the house not pictured below we have a hill area to walkout basement that overlooks the lake. This will be a patio area, terraced or something similar with steps down to walkout. That project is at least five years down the road.

Project goals:. Create a cohesive landscape that matches the house. I would love for it to feel like the house and gardens have been there for 100 years. Must use rock, no mulch close to house. Low maintenance plantings, some moderate is fine. Deer/critter resistant plant materials. I love flowering plants and having evergreen materials. Figure out where to plant some trees given restrictions.

master/garage area use: this area gets south/west exposure. this area has water hose access next to garage which needs to be fairly accessible. There is also a window well to the basement that I'd like to keep from covering up too much if possible but not a huge priority. I'd like to create some balance with the huge white wall on the west of the house with the landscape.

Southern exposure garage area, basement window well in center bottom

Left of the above photo, shows driveway and guest parking area

western exposure master bed/garage area. Water access to left of garage. Can see basement window well sticking out on garage side. This western side is a large white wall that needs some help. Center of this wall is water access, but I expect this one to be used infrequently. Small vent under left window.

Here's the plan my current landscape company did if it helps with layout. I'm not tied to anything in

Taken from top of driveway, what you see as approach house

Comments (17)