SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Need help/info Comcast 'box'

mama goose_gw zn6OH
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Technically challenged person here. My elderly father, who is even more technically challenged than I, said that his neighbor told him about a Comcast box (neighbor wrote down the name), which one can purchase at Walmart for ap. $45.00, hook it up to the TV, and never pay a monthly fee again. According to the neighbor, having internet access is not necessary.

Can anyone provide a simple explanation of whether this is true (or not), and if it's as simple as walking into Walmart and buying a box off the shelf?

My father currently has his phone and cable (Time Warner) billed together, if that makes any difference. If he can drop the cable, he's thinking about switching to cell phone only. I'm not sure that will work, because he doesn't currently have a cell phone, and would need to remember to keep one charged.

Thank you.

Comments (17)

• dees_1
    7 years ago

I don't know about a "Comcast" box you can buy, hook up and never pay Comcast a fee. There are digital converter boxes (as low as $20) that you can hook up to your TV and receive digital over the air broadcasts and convert the signal so it can be viewed on an analog TV (older TVs). Some of those boxes even have recording capabilities. But they only deal with over the air broadcasts (think local channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS etc). If you can provide the name of the box the neighbor provided, I could look it up....but it's not likely a box that can pick up any subscription broadcasts.

If he has Time Warner for cable (tv), does he also have internet with them? If so, dropping Time Warner and going to just a cell phone would also remove any internet he uses at home.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked dees_1
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    7 years ago

He has no computer or internet, and probably never will. I thought it might be something like the converter box. When we bought ours a few years ago for the conversion, we also put an antenna on the exterior, in case we ever decided to drop the satellite service (which we didn't have until the digital conversion).

• Related Discussions

"Red Lee Plum" Need Info/Help?

Q

Comments (0)
    I picked up a nice 2yr old plum from the discount area at a big box store yesterday. It's tagged for retail as a generic red plum but also has a nursery tag that simply states "Red Lee Plum." There was a similar one marked "Yellow Lee Plum." All of my searches so far have only turned up Red Lee Cherry, no plum. This is my first plum tree. The tag says it requires no pollinator, but I thought all plums do? I've been looking at Chickasaw (they're native here) and Purple Leaf (for ornamental purposes, and I'm aware of their "problems") plums recently also and would like to know if either of these would be suitable as pollinators. Anyone know how I can figure out more details on this tree regarding ripening season, etc?
    ...See More

Please Help- Info Needed on Pump?

Q

Comments (1)
    It all depends on how you want the water to bubble out. Gently, modaretly or very bubbly. Most pumps give a lift volume on the box.
    ...See More

Need help identifying antique metal lock box please

Q

Comments (6)
    To post pictures on this site, you have first to up load to the web in a spot with a file sharing program.... Doesn't work to link to your own hard drive. Try Photobucket....it's easiest to post from. Linda C
    ...See More

Help Gaggenau Combi Steam installation info needed

Q

Comments (5)
    The instruction book does not indicate if a wire is included with the appliance, and it's been long enough that I don't remember. It does say that the junction box should not be behind the Combi & recommends placing it above the oven. I can't see mine because the back of the cabinets are finished. The electrical circuit should be dedicated, 240 volt, 16 amp, and grounded (the manual says "earthed"!). The hot air heating element is 2700 watts & maximum water pressure is 600 kPa (6 bar). The water supply must be cold water & cannot be directly behind the oven either; ours is above, with access to a shutoff valve at the back of the cabinet above the oven. (We can still use the cabinet for the trays & racks). The water drain hose is supplied & must be connected at least 4" below the Combi, must not be cut, & cannot exceed 16'. It's important to have Gaggenau ovens levelled horizontally exactly. If you are stacking ovens, the Combi should be installed first.
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

If someone is using the Comcast signal, with whatever means, they should be paying for it. It's no different than climbing a power pole and running a wire to steal electricity without paying for it.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It didn't sound quite right to me either, but my father thinks it sounds legitimate because they sell the boxes at Walmart (he was told).

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's possible, but would that mean he would receive only local stations? He said the man told him he could get over one hundred stations, including movie and sports.

So, my father called earlier from his new cell phone, although he said he didn't really know how to use it. He'd had a friend take to him pick it up today. Maybe he's more hip than I thought. :)

I don't know if it's a SmartPhone, but if it is, then maybe it's the Chromecast streaming media player he wants. Would that give him access to TV channels without paying a monthly bill? And since SmartPhones have internet access will that be included in his phone bill package?

Chromecast streaming media player

Or, it could be these items: Chromecast antenna bundle, which has this description: Tired of paying a monthly premium for cable programming you don't even
    watch? Cut the cable and save! With so much great TV available over the
    air or streaming online, getting rid of cable can be an easy way to save
    money. You'll curate your own TV schedule and get more of just the
    programs you love for less.

• Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

Chromecast is a device you plug into your TV that allows you to basically "beam" a video from your tablet or cellphone onto the TV.

He could pull up YouTube videos and beam them, or Netflix if he has a subscription, but it won't give access to hundreds of TV channels.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked Texas_Gem
  • bob_cville
    7 years ago

I have heard discussions about a law that would require cable companies to allow customers to purchase a set-top box to receive cable channels as opposed to leasing the cable box from the cable company. The customer would still need to pay the monthly fee to the cable company for the service, it would merely be a way to avoid the additional fee they charge every month for you to lease their set-top box. I was under the impression the law hasn't yet been passed and the cable companies were (unsurprisingly) vociferously opposing the proposed law.

It is possible that some in localities the cable company already allows this as an option, and that it what the neighbor is describing. However I think that it is more likely to be an antenna/digital signal conversion box like several others here have surmised.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked bob_cville
  • bob_cville
    7 years ago

Reading your most recent message makes it seem likely that it is the Chromecast device. With the bundle he would be able to receive local channels plus with a high-speed (or at least a high-enough-speed) internet connection he could access and stream various other programming, some of which (for instance NetFilx) would require a separate subscription.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked bob_cville
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The neighbor said he'd had it for a couple of years, so I'm pretty sure it's the Chromecast streamer--the exact name just got garbled in the retelling.

The thing is, my father is nearly 80, had a stroke two and a half years ago, and does not keep his bills organized. He blames the utility companies, hates hearing a recording on the phone, and resents any tech support person with a foreign accent. He's currently in a disagreement with the cable provider and thinks he's going to bypass the company to get service with the inexpensive device. He doesn't know the logistics of watching TV for several hours each evening with just a smartphone, and no WiFi.

That is, if he purchased a smartphone. He'd mentioned getting one of the bigger cell phones, because he thinks a bigger phone means bigger numbers to push when he dials. I haven't seen the phone yet, so maybe I'm jumping the gun.

He's an intelligent man, just very old school. He built one successful business, sold it to one of my brothers, and started another business, which he still manages--without a computer, another reason I don't think this is going to work the way he expects.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions. My son-in-law is tech savvy, so I'll have him talk to my father. And maybe I can talk my father into having the cable/phone bills sent to my address.

ETA, bob, I can guarantee he doesn't know about the separate Netflix subscription. The neighbor is probably a younger man, and has no idea my father doesn't have a computer, internet, Netflix, etc.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

Ah, of course, Chromecast. That's completely different and of course not a box. But without internet access and a handheld something to use it with in the house, that's not a viable alternative for him.

If he can afford cable service, that's the best approach. He has to decide to drop his gripe with the provider and move on, to continue watching TV. Or, find a different TV provider. Or, he can find new pastimes that doesn't involve his television. Those are really his choices.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Scotty B
    7 years ago

If your talking over 100 channels, it has to be the Chromecast device. However it does require an internet connection. I've read you can download an app & use the smartphone to stream off Chromecast but make SURE he checks what data is allowed on his cellphone plan as the overages can add up.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked Scotty B
  • anoriginal
    7 years ago

Have seen ads for some kinda gizmo that hooks to your TV and will allow you to get all kinds of channels?? Seems likely to be a "infomercial" type product. Maybe ad says sold at places like Walmart. Would BET it won't get channels your Dad wants... or Comcast would be BEGGING people to be/stay customers. One of those "but WAIT" things... sounds/looks too good to be true?!?

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked anoriginal
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

All kinds of people are selling Android boxes here, that are loaded with Kodi, and live streaming sports. It's hooked up via internet and you can watch any tv show or movie and sports.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked Jasdip
  • chisue
    7 years ago

Your father could avoid the frustrating conversations. Does he type?

If he had a computer, he could engage in 'live chat' with a company rep. This has been a sanity-saver for a friend of mine. Her DH is brilliant, but hard of hearing, and he has a short temper. She was having to get on a second phone line and translate (as well as *mediate*) every time her DH called a provider.

After her DH stormed off following one *two hour* event, the young rep at the provider asked her if she was Mr. X's caregiver. She said, no, she was his wife. "God bless you," he replied.

Live chat is annoying with all the 'filler' providers require a rep to spew, but at least there is no accent barrier.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked chisue
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dad dropped by today--I wasn't home so I didn't see his phone. My DD was here, but I don't know if he showed her the phone, or asked for help. (She and my new grandson, who is 2 1/2 weeks old, have been napping since I returned. :) SIL worked late last night, so I briefly mentioned the set-up to him this morning, and asked him to check it out. Due to the similarity in the names, I think it's the Chromecast device.

My father is also hard of hearing, but will not consider wearing a hearing aide, so I'm sure that adds to his frustration with phone conversations. He doesn't type, and did not answer the cell phone when I called--it's going to be a learning experience for him.

(Just as I was typing the words above, he called back. He couldn't figure out how to answer the phone or call me back, so he went to a restaurant and asked the waitperson to dial the phone for him. I hope he leaves a good tip.)

I suggested he come by my house tomorrow--I'll show him the equipment on the Walmart site, and explain all of the extra charges and actions involved. To the best of my ability.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

• cynic
    7 years ago

Even though I don't like Walmart that much, I do not believe they're selling illegal cable descramblers. I'm guessing its a digital converter, Chromecast or something like that. And the ads on TV for antennas are exaggerated.

The big question is what channels does he WATCH? I don't necessarily agree that broadcast won't have it. I don't have cable or satellite and I'm more than happy. When I've been places with cable, I've missed some of the channels. People have become so brainwashed by cable and satellite they don't even look at the benefits of broadcast. I think it's crazy to pay cable/satellite fees for what you are really getting these days unless you're a big fan of infomercials. People assume that broadcast is only a few network affiliates which isn't really true in most places. I get several channels that I watch often and they're not available on at least some cable systems. (End of rant.)

If he's in a metro area he probably has quite a few options on broadcast these days with all the subchannels.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked cynic