SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

Radical pruning of my Meyer lemon

This tree has not been growing much. It was gangly when I got it and I trimmed a few awkward branches a while ago. It also is in the 5-1-1 mix and did not have any root damage when I transferred it. I have not liked her shape since I got it this winter. I decided to chop off the top and let it grow out into a nice stout tree. The three small branches she grew a while back and then just stopped. Here are pics. I'll update on her status as she recovers. Kind of scary, but taking risks is sometimes necessary....

my daughter was a bit worried as you can see...

Comments (54)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will keep you guys posted. John, all the leaves up top were not great leaves....yes, leaves, but not great. The ones I left below are nice and green. I don't need another Meyer Hobby!! Plus, I wonder if this Meyer stock is not as great as Alexander the Great.

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Laura wow that is Radical. Great you had the courage to try . I know under your care that tree will be beautiful like your others in no time . I have a Murrcot I should do that to but I don't have the heart ,

it really needs it for its own good . Good luck Laura!!!

Hobby how is your summer going? I hope the weather has been nice as ours here in eastern Canada . We have had many 90 degree days and a ton of sun one of the best summers in memories .

Pic of my Meyer last year I was calling it my 10 leaf wonder it has really come back this year .

Brian

• Related Discussions

Pruning Meyer's lemon?

Q

Comments (4)
    I prune my Meyers up at least a foot from the ground; it helps with orchard sanitation and makes it easier to tend to the tree, as in watering, fertilizing, etc. Also, if the tree produces fruit that will come down to rest on the ground you will have problems with fungus and other things like snails,ants,rats eating the fruit. Aside from that, I don't prune my field trees until they reach the size I want; or when they begin to block the open area between the rows. Note, we are planting our trees at 600 per acre in hedgerows with a meter of grass between them; and we will top them at 1.5 meters... but that really is still pretty much of an experiment. For my garden Meyers I prune them to keep them in their "space"; and I also prune out criss-crossing limbs, the latter being a personal preference to keep the centers open for light. I also top them at about 9 feet; because I don't want to have to use a ladder to harvest them.
    ...See More

Meyer lemon first pruning & care for beginners

Q

Comments (1)
    At some point, your tree got much more needed sunlight than now which explains the smaller leaves verses the bigger ones towards the top. Small and compact growth = lots of sunlight Bigger leaves and elongated = lack of sunlight There is nothing wrong with trimming your tree now. Usually may of us have a vision of what they want their tree to look like and cut accordingly..It's a matter of personal preferrence. Where each cut is made, it should be just above a leaf joint and in a way that you will direct new growth. For instance, if you want a branch to grow to the left, you would cut to the node of the leaf facing right... Some like their trees as tall as they can grow so will just cut below the top tips. Others like them short and bushy, cutting almost down to the soil level or graft line.. Whether you leave fruit on or not depends on how much sunlight and fertilizer you give it. If you pan on feeding heavily, you tree will support the fruit and still grow well. If you grow it outside even better. If you plan on leaving it outside, if the growth is already poor, or if you are not consistent with fertilizng, then I would take all the fruit off.. MIke)
    ...See More

When should I bring my Meyer Lemon tree inside? And pruning?

Q

Comments (3)
    I also live in MD, and have potted meyer lemon trees that were on the deck all summer long and that I'm about to transition to a winter inside, and asked very similar questions in another thread, and here is the advice I was given: Bring them in when the temps outside at night are lower than what the temps are at night in my house (to minimize the temps differences when you bring them in). So, basically, starting now, I have to bring them in at night-.- since my house is at about 69° at night. Once the daily temps get consistently lower than 73 (which us what my house is at during the day in the winter), I'll bring them in permanently. Also, start putting them gradually in the shade more during the day, since they won't get much sunshine or that much light once they are in for the winter. I'm far from being an expert, but that was the advice I was given. Hope that helps :) . Atheen
    ...See More

Meyer Lemon - re pot now? prune the roots?

Q

Comments (8)
    I would do one of two choices. I would put it in a bigger pot filled with mulch or soil, the pot in pot method so the bottom of the planted pot will rest on or be in contact with the soil or mulch and the water will be tricked to come out of the planted pot with a wicking action....This way the perched water will sit in the empty pot filled with mulch rather the your potted one... Or I would push a nylon or cotton wick into the bottom of one of the holes of your pot and set the pot on a stand so that the wick dangles...The water at the bottom of your pot will continue to come out and dry in the air leaving you with virtually no perched water at the bottom.. This is just to hold you over until the best time of the year to root prune and bare root being around Fathers Day when your tree is actively growing...This way it gives it a chance to recover much more rapidly..
    ...See More
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Brian! That is such a spectacular tree!!! I've told many friends about your tree - and my kids have seen the pictures!

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Hi Brian now that is a proper citrus tree- amazing! Are people blown away when they come over to visit you and see your collection? I would be so dazzled.

We are having a top notch summer too, we have been seeing 30 degrees since April. It's shaping up to be a banner season that's for sure. I know global warming is terrible but in zone 2b I'll take a break here and there if it presents itself lol.

My trees are doing well, I have been doing tons of repotting into 511 so almost everyone has recovered and gotten back into growing.

How was your move? Can you share a pic of your new greenhouse?

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, please show us more pics Brian - and of your other trees!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Not bad ;-)

I would have chopped lower.

Josh

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Josh, I still can, but why? I don't mind, I just looked at the nodes when chopping. It was only yesterday. I can chop again....;-)

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Hobby glad to hear that your having a stellar summer to . Another 90 degree day here today just amazing . Hobby we are not even close to being finished in the moving department lol our backyard is a mess everything is all over the place . Lot's of renovations going on at our new home we just had our new pool installed salt water and we ordered our new GH it will be a 12 x 16 with two drop doors so no more lifting those huge heavy pots all I have to do is wheel them in . We were on holiday's last week and we spent most of the week at the new home floating in the pool. I see you have been busy repotting your tree's big job the is . Have you found time to take holidays and get away ? It's so hard to get away knowing the tree's need water every two day's . You and Laura are doing an amazing job with your tree's fast learner's for sure, it took me a couple of years plus to figure out what they like . I have been having lots of funny doing cuttings and have been very successful I have a backup of everyone of my tree's as a just in case have you done this ? Hobby with global warming do you ever think that maybe the citrus belt will shift into Canada after all many million years ago there were palm trees and tree ferns here lol. I guess not in our lifetime .

Hi Laura thankyou soo much for the kind words and thankyou you to Hobby. You both have amazing tree's and Laura yours are really putting out the new growth before you know it they will double and triple in size they sure don't stay small tree's for long . The hotter the summers the faster they grow and we have a really hot summer this year I wish we could bottle it up . Laura this pic is of my eureka lemon please forgive the mess every thing is all over the place . This tree was from a cutting , we had to tie the top branches they are way to heavy and when there is a strongwind the branches look like they are going to snap in half .

Brian

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Laura just wanted to show you a pic of my poor Murcott like I mentioned I don't have the heart to chop it lol . It is flushing very heavily at the top right now .

and a pic of my Tango tree which is also flushing heavily.
    Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow Brian!! What amazing trees! I would not have the heart to cut that one either....especially with fruit. Perhaps once it's finished fruiting....? How old are your trees? I know the famous Meyer is just over 10 right? What about the others? I wish I could have a greenhouse. I do worry that when my other trees grow up, I will have even more trouble fitting them into my house and sunroom. How tall is that tango tree? It looks huge! Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to get a feel for what I can expect. My oldest Meyer (6+ years) is probably just over six feet in the pot. He is still putting out new growth...I worry he will not fit in my house soon. I may have to do more pruning!! Lol

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Laura your right my Meyer is about 10 yrs my tango was grafted in April 2010 and I bought it in spring 2011 and it was about 2 and a half ft now its about 10 and a half ft . Most of my tree's are the same age I really went on a buying spree that yr . Guess what Laura your going to need lots of room for them in a couple of yrs lol. Laura have you thought of getting a Greenhouse I highly recommend one . Here is a pic of my Page which is about 9yrs and my very crooked cactus.

Brian

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Forgot the pic lol

Brian

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Laura your so right about keeping them in check I never did trust me this fall they will be getting a major trim before I bring them in the GH . It's best to trimt the top after they reach the desired height this will keep them nice and full and round instead of tall and leggy .

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the pics Brian! It is nice to see such amazing trees and it helps me to prepare. I would love to have a greenhouse, but I live in a city and my yard is less than 1/4 acre. I also have some large trees, so I struggle to even get enough light for the trees. I am in the process of hiring a tree trimmer to hack some large branches off my two big trees to give us more light. I don't think I have enough light for a greenhouse. Does it have to be in the full sun?

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Laura. Sounds like you have a fairly large backyard we live in the city also probably a smaller yard then yours but we have no tree's shading our yard. Laura are the tree' pine tree's if not the tree's shouldn't be a huge problem because if they are not evergreen they will loose their leaves and let that precious winter sunshine into your yard . Our GH where we live now receives about 5 hrs of sun in the winter where we are moving to about the same . Does your backyard face west or south ? I am so glad you started this thread your Meyer and my Murcott pretty well are suffering from the same problem . I was just outside while checking the Murcott out I noticed to my surprise some new growth starting all over those bare stems Yippee. Last year there was nothing I guess this intense heat we are having is forcing the tree . I will keep you posted with pics when the growth gets a little larger . I am sure chopping it would have hurried up the process but glad I didn't have to I am soooo happy . Laura are most of your trees on dwarfing rootstock? All my tree's aren't .

Brian

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Hey, Laura! I'd prune down to that nice bit of green foliage at the bottom, and let that become the point of branching. I like to keep my trees shorter and more compact for easier Wintering indoors. Inevitably, they grow tall again, but I like the branching to begin fairly low on the trunk.

Josh

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Josh! I'll look at it tomorrow. Brian, the tree in my back is a maple. Yes, in the winter, lots of sun shines through. My back yard receives east/north sun....the sun rises at a 45 degree angle to my back yard. My trees are positioned along the back and south side. They get morning sun, then they get covered a bit (some do, not others) . Later on, they get lots of sun from the west.

7 years ago

Thanks for posting your amazing pics Brian! I love that cactus too. It's a great reference to see how big these trees can get... it seems unbelievable that my little guys will ever get that size but I do have one, my thornless key lime, that has really exploded this year and is already taller than me and starting to get bushy too.

I have been planning for a greenhouse but in seeing the size of your trees I think I had better plan on getting one even bigger than I thought.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Yes Hobby. The bigger the better. I ran out of space real fast and mine is 12' x 16'. It would be nice to have one large enough to divide into 2 or 3 zones to keep tropicals and cooler growing plants in. I look for microclimates, but that is limited in my small space. Temperatures are more stable in larger greenhouses too. You should probably put yours up on a high foundation so you can get into it in the snow. Mine is on a 3 ft railroad tie foundation. That makes the roof and sides taller too and provides nice insulation at ground level. Maybe you can convert your plant room in your outbuilding to a green house with a glass roof or skylights and larger insulated windows. How big of a space is that? It seems it would not be too costly to add large windows on the sunny side and maybe even also the 2 sides and leave the North wall for insulation and paint it white to reflect the light. It would be a good way to get started and learn about greenhouse growing before making a larger financial commitment. You must have electric there with your grow lights. How about water? I heat with natural gas, but my greenhouse is close to my house so it was easy to run the utilities underground from my house. Brian uses an electric heater in his. Your grow room is probably more insulated than his greenhouse. You probably have some heat source besides your lights in there already? Letting in more natural light would pay for the windows in no time. When you are ready for a large greenhouse you can attach it to this building and use it as your potting room and as a place to store your supplies and start seedlings so your investment would not be wasted. You really need a greenhouse. What are you waiting for!

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Hi Brian,

Are these pictures at the old place or the new place? If at the new one, you are really moving along setting the tropical scene already. Has any work started on the new greenhouse yet? I think you said it will be attached to your house. Will that be hard to ventilate? Have you heard how Maggy has fared with her greenhouse this year? She really should come back and talk with these other Canadians here. She would have a lot to talk to them about with similar growing conditions. I miss her. I wonder if she is going to Portugal again this year. It sounds like she might even want to live there.

Cory

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I would love a greenhouse someday. What Brisn says inspires me that it may be possible in my yard. I do have an update - today I saw growth buds from several parts of the trunk! I trimmed her Monday, so it took three days and already she is sprouting. The sprouts are tiny, but in a few days when they are more visible (and easier to photograph ), I'll post pics!!

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Great Laura!

Cory

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah Cory....it is always nice when experiments like that pay off!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Hobby Cory Laura .

Hobby glad to see your planning on getting a GH it really makes growing citrus so much easier. Lol the cactus is so tall I don't even know how tall it is I can't jump that high to get a measurement. You have such a nice property for a GH and it looks like no matter where you place the GH it will be in full sun that will really help with your heating costs . I know Saskatchewan is a very sunny place in the winter so you will be just basically paying to heat the GH at night . Hobby it's so hot and humid here today the air is so saturated I am sure the citrus are loving it me not so much. How is your weather are you still getting lots of rain ? It Sure came down hard the rain last night no watering tonight Yippee.

Cory how are you doing? ??. How are your citrus tree's doing I remember that they over heated did they all come back ? How are your orchids did most of them pull through? Are you still buying orchids? I miss your beautiful pics !!! . Cory right now we are in between homes the pics I took yesterday from my old backyard we haven't moved any of the citrus yet . We've moved alot of our perennials over to the new house . CORY we were on holiday's last week and our new pool was installed we floated in it the whole week lol. We just bought a new GH it's the same size as yours 12 x 16 . It's five wall thick so it should save on the heating costs I hope . It has a drop door or knee high wall so I won't have to lift the trees any longer and the GH will have custom double doors so no more breaking branches bringing them in and out . We are going to raise it 2 ft the same way as yours . We should get it in 4 to 5 weeks so excited till we have to build it lol . Soo are you buying a new GH ? My 8x 12 was all ready starting to get cramped but this new one is my last i guess I will have to stop being soo lazy and trim them . How has the weather been in your neck of the woods ? It's been a very warm and humid summer so far and it's going to stay this way for the next two weeks anyways . Have you spent any time at the beach ?

Laura glad to hear your considering getting a new GH . Your tree's will love you for it they will get so much more light and humidity the things they really need . To funny your Meyer has already started to sprout at the same time of my Murcott. I bet your having the same weather as us here hot humid and hazy that's really forcing them along . I was out to 10 pm yesterday trimming some of my tree's lol so tired today .

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Brian..it is ROASTING here today! I can barely tolerate being outside! My car read 93 about two hours ago...it is humid also..yuck! But yes, they are growing! I need to go out and measure an area and see what I can do. There is a tree that is a "weed" tree that I do not like that I may be able to do away with. The thing is that my kids have a zip line from that tree, so I just don't think I can hack it down now. I will need to wait and see how this winter plays out. Many of my trees are still quite young, so I can fit them into my sunroom and kitchen - although it will be tight! I also bought some lamps with daylight grow bulbs that Steve recommended to give them a bit of a boost - those that will not be right next to a window. I do enjoy having them in the house during winter because I love sitting in my sunroom in my recliner, reading a book, and being surrounded by my green, blooming trees when everything else is dead and cold outside!

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Hi everyone. Brian, yes my citrus trees all leafed out again. Here are a few pictures but it is hard to fit them all in.

There are 3 rows of trees here but I couldn't get them all in the photo.

This little Owari satsuma had leafed out fine and suddenly its leafs turned brown overnight and almost died a few weeks ago. It has a little growth now so I have moved it into more shade and hope it will keep recovering. I have no idea what caused it. My neighbor hates poison ivy so maybe it got some drift from one of his sprayings? My privet hedge there has a mysterious disease in that area too. It is now mainly leafless too. The other trees were fine though. It got very hot here this week. I trimmed my hedge and bushes even though it was in the high 90°Fs. My clothes were soaked with sweat, and suddenly out of the blue we had a downpour for about 15 minutes. My house and yard are a mess right now too. I am having my house painted and many trees trimmed and removed so I have not much places to put all my "houseplants" outside until everything is done so they will not be in the way. Plus I am cleaning out my house of stuff which now has many of the contents of my four family beach house which was destroyed by Superstore Sandy. It gets worse before it gets better when sorting through stuff, trying to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of. I could open my own Home Depot and Lowe's with all the tools, hardware, electrical, plumbing, lumber,etc. that we have accumulated. Brian, I have been slow to add more orchids after the big greenhouse fry. I left a lot of the dead orchids in the greenhouse hoping against hope that some may recover although most were burned to the roots. In just the past week a few have sent up new shoots from the roots which makes me happy that I gave them some time, but I think most are dead. I will wait a while yet. I mist them most every sunny day so the roots don't get too wet but get moisture. It was very discouraging to lose so many during Sandy and now again in April. I started seeds in the greenhouse in containers when I moved my citrus trees outside. I have tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, cucumbers, and peppers growing in there now. They were supposed to come out but the citrus trees got the last of the prime sunny real estate that is available during the house painting and tree work. Brian, you said your vegetables did well in yours during the summer so I decided to leave them in there for now. It keeps the squirrels and chipmunks from getting them. They have been stealing my small citrus fruits this year which they never had other years. And Brian, I still have something digging up my grass as soon as I can plant it. My sister was visiting with her dog a week ago and she saw some kind of ferret or weasel out there at night when she had to take out the dog. I can't remember what she decided it was. I haven't seen it yet, nor the fox that all my neighbors see in my yard every day. Maybe it will take care of my recent chipmunk problem. I used to think they were cute when I only had one. Now there has been a population explosion and they are as pesky or more so than the many squirrels that inhabit my property. I am only the grounds keeper for all my furry and feathered friends.

Brian, your new greenhouse sounds great! So does your new saltwater pool! I am hoping to go visit my sister at her beach house tonight.

Laura, I think your tree will be fine after hacking it back. I have been hacking back all my bushes and trees getting ready for the painter and I had to prune back so much new growth already today. This is the time to get the heavy pruning done as the plants just spring back now. Soon it will be too late again. Many of my trees have gotten way ahead of me and I need to get a professional to deal with those.

It has been a great summer here too. Hot sunny days and cool nights. Good growing conditions. Not much rain though. At least I will not have to water tonight after that big deluge this afternoon.

Enjoying everyone's posts. Oh yes, hi Mike. I didn't forget you. Sorry to hear about your father's poor health. I hope you can get a little time to be in your garden with your frogs. I haven't read anything about them yet this year. Did they survive the winter?

Cory

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Wow Laura that is hot hot hot forget the GH and get a POOL lol . Here it's 86 degrees but with the humidity it feels like 95 it feels very swampy out there . I see your dilemma you don't want to take away your children's fun and it's so good for them to be outside in the fresh air . If I do remember you had great success with your tree's in the sun room so they should be ok in there for a couple of years that's if you stop buying new trees lol like that's going to happen lol. It must smell unbelievable when the trees are in bloom in your home and it gives you something to look at and to take care of during the very very long winter months . I spent a couple of hours every night in my GH last winter just love the smell of the humidity and the plants . The GH is really great also for propagating and starting seeds and not to forget all the previous seasons bedding flowers. A GH is also a great place to escape and just unwind from the busy lifestyles we all have and a great place just to be able to catch your breath .

Cory I terribly miss Maggy's presence here to . She was a wealth of knowledge and had lots of great stories witty sense of humor and I loved all of her cooking recipes. Miss you Maggy

Brian

7 years ago

Thanks for the excellent tips on the greenhouse Cory! I hadn't even thought of the fact that a larger one will be more temp stable and yes raising it up is a very important point to consider... we had like 6 feet of snow 3 years ago!!

My current grow room is too small to convert, plus I need it for other things like starting my seedlings and extracting my honey. It does have electric heat and water though which is nice, so I would want that in a new greenhouse too. Yes I will have to do tons of research before I make a decision, maybe I will talk to some of the commercial growers here to get tips. Electric heat would be way too expensive plus we have too many power outages here with the wind, I would need to go gas or geothermal, I would love solar but it's still too pricey.

Actually I did speak to a greenhouse supplier this year and he suggested in ground heat laid in concrete flooring like you would do in a bathroom to save on energy, does anyone have any experience with that? I guess I would still need a air heater or maybe just a fan to blow the heated air around so the root zones weren't too much hotter than the air.

Great pics, sorry about your satsuma, that is odd isn't it? Looks like it will come back, one branch is still green. Fingers crossed for you! I still remember that pic you shared of your greenhouse all lit up at night in the snow... I loved that one! So surreal and dreamy lol.

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Cory wow wow your tree's look so beautiful and healthy. I have to ask lol when people walk by your house do they think your running a garden center and tried to buy something lol so many exactly how many citrus tree's and how many different varieties do you have ? I am totally amazed by you Cory that you can take care of so many and they all look so great . Cory I have said this before but I have to say it again that you have probably the most beautiful home and property I have ever seen what a gorgeous place . Cory so you're having this heat to not to nice right but the tree's are just loving it . We'll I guess we shouldn't complain I am up very early every morning and I noticed yesterday that it was a little darker then the previous week at the same time O no. Cory if you think your backyard is a mess you should see ours there is not one inch of room on our patio this is where most of my tree's are . Cory to funny you brought up the tools we just cleaned out the basement at my parents place you could not believe all the tools you just have to close your eyes and either throw out or give to neighbors it's tough to do because everything has sentiment. Cory you have chipmunks which are so cute we have moles they are everywhere there was all kinds of holes In our garden in the spring I am guessing it was these little guys doing the job . Cory so glad your getting away tonight to the beach perfect weather for that I would rather swim in the salt ocean then the salt pool . How are the veggies doing in your GH I bet everything is growing fast you will see you will end up with perfect looking vegetables with no bite marks on anything . Enjoy your time at the beach Cory

Brian

7 years ago

Brian yes we have been getting some major rain but the sun always comes out so it has been nice... I didn't even know you could get 5 wall greenhouse thickness... gotta check that out for sure. I don't envy your move... when we moved from Vancouver to Saskatoon 3 years ago it was truly exhausting.... but it will all be worth it when you get your amazing new GH set up and can splash in the pool and watch your trees. :)

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Hobby I never heard of five wall Greenhouse's either it's very new. It's supposed to be very energy efficient and I think it's supposed to be very good at filtering out the bad sunray so the plants don't get burnt. Moving ain't fun for sure we were supposed to get started on our holidays but we were so tired . We did get some things done but definitely not enough. That darn pool is distracting us from doing what we are supposed to get done . Hobby I don't think you have anything to worry about with the rain you have your tree's in the 511 which has excellent drainage . If it rained for a week straight and Temps in the 40's then I might start to get a little concerned . I had a little chuckle with Cory about all her tree's and

I can't even move on my patio .

Brian

7 years ago

Beautiful tree! Would you mind telling me which greenhouse company you bought from? I may inquire with them too. Thanks Brian!!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Brian your trees are so beautiful! My patio is getting pretty stuffed also...lol! May I ask why you have other plants planted along your citrus in their containers? I thought that was a no-no because they compete for the nutrients, but obviously, yours are doing great...Hobby, I look forward to hearing about your greenhouse as you research it. If I ever decide to get one, you can give me the scoop..;-)

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Hobby thanks for sending us your beautiful weather lol we just finished up with a thunderstorm and this thing easily dumped over an inch of rain but we needed it it's been our first soak snice May . Hobby we purchased our Greenhouse from Lexis Greenhouses very nice people to talk to .

Hi Laura the extra plants in the pot was not my idea the better half planted them last year without me knowing . I thought to that it might be an issue but this is the second summer with them in the pot and the tree doesn't seem to be suffering from any ill effects . I do fertilize my tree's regularly . The heat wave is over until Monday Laura when it will be in the 90's all week . Rain and in the low 70's all weekend of course.

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow John!! What a beautiful tree...and loaded with huge lemons!!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

John thankyou for that amazing and beautiful pic you sure do love your Meyers and it so shows gorgeous tree's. John your so right about citrus being heavy feeders especially Meyers and nothing would ever go into my Meyer tree pot for sure . I feed my tree's regularly and frequently during the spring and summer months . Thanks John for the great info and pic.

Brian

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

That is the Mother tree for the future of Guatemala Meyer lemons; this Spring I made 100 copies to start a new budwood grove. In 2 years all our Mayan Meyer Lemon trees will be copies of this tree.

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

John if your copies do as well as the mother you will have quit the grove of Meyer lemons in Guatemala. Will you ever ship your lemons into Canada ?

Brian

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

Brian,

We have some plans to ship to Montreal at the end of the year.

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Do I look for the brand name Mayan Meyer ? I do so want to try some . Thanks John for the info

Brian

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

The important thing to look for is the PLU code on the bottom of the label. PLU stands for Price Look Up, it is what the checker enters to see what it is; if it is 3626, it is a Meyer lemon. If they are mine, they should look like this.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

John, do any of those get to the US? I would definitely get them if I found them anywhere!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi John I bet that makes a nice ice cold beverage on a hot summer day Yum . Thanks for beautiful pic .

Brian

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

The lemons can only go to the NE US markets; and it may be a year or two before we can supply that demand. As for the Mayancello (A version of Limoncello based on an Old World recipe, but made with fresh Meyer lemons), we may begin shipping it to selected markets by Christmas time.

• devsense
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

hopefully mayancello will be available in Montreal or Toronto markets as well. Speaking of limoncello, found a lemon seed inside an Italian limoncello bottle just to experiment ,planted it and to my extreme surprise it's sprouted didn't think seed would be viable inside alcohol. so now I have a Italian lemon seedling growing .Based on the Liquor brands website they make it using Sfusato Lemons

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

Depends on how good quality was the limoncello; the best Italian limoncellos are made with the Amalfi lemon... good, but in taste tests virtually everyone prefers the Mayancello; most especially people who have never liked limoncello. Best of luck with your seedling.

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

Dev,

"using Sfusato Lemon", on a commercial label, does not mean that is the only lemon they use; but at least you have a good shot, as most other lemon used in commercial product is from concentrate. In our case, we don't HAVE any other lemon, only Meyer; and that is never from concentrate.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Brian, hello))) Looks like your tress are still very amazing!!! Despite all that you are going through, your trees never seem to suffer..Great job buddy!

By the way, you said something about 'salt water' in your pool? Why that? I never heard of salt water in a pool...I would love to come for a swim..

My parents are not doing so well so that is taking up much of my time, but every once in a while I get to pop in...I always wonder how you are doing and I keep telling myself to e-mail you and Cory..I am always thinking of you all and Maggy too...Everyone disappeared for a while and it was only me left but it's been nice to meet so many new ones here..I am so glad to see you posting your beautiful pics again Brian and to see your writings once again that always make me smile.

I see your weather is HOT? Not here. It's weird..So far we are having the coolest summer for July and we are just getting out of the 50's for that past 3 days..Crazy. Only two 90 days since spring and summer began but it looks like summer will finally move in at least for a week so my trees are slow to grow as usual(( I guess at least they are healthy)

I wanted to pop by to say hello to you and to Cory in which I have been doing for quite some time but it seems she never sees that ask for her or comment on her beautiful postings...

Have a wonderful night and you take good care...

Laura...Beautiful job and lots of courage..I see what you mean but you could not of picked the best time of season to do it. It should bounce right back in lots of new branches and leaves..Many here defoliate their trees to encourage new growth and it seems to do a great job at it!

Good luck with it and please keep us updated every inch of the way)

MIke

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi John remember Ottawa Canada lol I would love to try it to.

Hi Mikey buddy so sad to hear about your parents looks like you and I are suffering through the same thing . I wish them both a speed recovery your mom is so sweet . I can't believe your temperatures that's so crazy here it's one of the hottest on record we have 3 more 90 degree days coming up starting tomorrow actually there has been a heat warning issued . Mikey we definitely need heat for this hobby my tree's are going crazy right now , you will probably see a huge improvement this week with your tree's . Mikey we are in the process of moving crazy busy summer we bought a new GH last week for our new place it wil arrive in about 4 weeks and it's a 12 x 16 so looking forward to the extra room . We purchased a salt water pool and it's heated it's so beautiful on Saturday night lthe water temperature was 90 degrees so great for the old aching bones . Everyone around these parts are now going saltwater supposedly much easier on your skin and bathing ware and no problem swimming under water so far and so much easier to take care of . I guess it is probably the next best thing to swimming in the ocean . I hope you and your tree's had a good winter . Have your frogs multiplied and how is your beautiful cat Bo doing? Always a pleasure Mikey and you have a terrific night buddy .

Brian