SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

Rose replant syndrome - aggrevated by rootstock choice? Laxa?

nikthegreek
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This seems to be reported most often in the UK and many explanations have been provided for it. Including nematodes, other soil borne bacteria, soil depletion, allelopathic influences etc etc. A little industry has developed in the UK selling special fungi and 'special' carton planting boxes against this 'disease'..

I was wondering if the predominance of reports from the UK can be correlated with the predominant use of a specific rootstock there, namely 'Laxa' (R. canina 'Laxa', syn. R. corymbifera 'Laxa') when I came across the site of a German rose rootstock producer (linked to below) producing rootstocks most commonly used in Europe. Here's what they say about 'Laxa' (my bold):

'Rosa corymbifera Laxa
Is the most commonly used rootstock for bedding roses. It has few
thorns, thickens fast, has very short growth and long root necks. The
wild plant is well compatible with almost all cultivated varieties and
produces very few wild shoots. It does however demand good soil and is
susceptible to soil fatigue.
The grafting period is early and short.
Susceptible to downy mildew and rust.'

If that is the case, I think I should be worried about the phenomenon occuring in my garden as I import grafted roses predominantly from the UK..

Rose rootstocks

If the syndrome is indeed aggrevated by choice of rootstock then, logic says, it should also be dependant on rose choice in the case of own-root roses.

I wonder if any proper scientific reasearch has been done on the issue.

As a sidenote please note that all these rootstocks (multiflora also?) are propagated by seed (as the pics on the site indicate) which should largely deal with rose mosaic issues..

PS. Contrast what the German producer says with what the RHS reports here:
RHS on replant disease

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting