SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shanil10

Help with Master suite & guest bathroom layout

shanil10
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello, we are in the process of adding a master suite and remodeling our guest bathroom. This is our first home after several years of renting, so we have several newbie-questions. We need to finalize the layout and design soon, would love any advice. Thank you!

I've included the overall floor plan (current as well as planned).

Below are some layout sketches, generally the solid lines are walls that can't be
moved, the dashed lines are options that can be placed anywhere.

Master Suite

We've taken some space from the kitchen and have an L-shaped room next to the master bedroom where we can add a bathroom (shower only, no tub) and walk-in closet.

• The master suite size is fixed and cannot be changed, we can choose the relative sizes of the bathroom & closet.
  • I realize this will be a small master bath, but we are just happy to have a 2nd bathroom! We will only have a shower, no tub - hoping 3x5 will be comfortable for a 2-person shower. Will also have a 30"-32" single vanity only.
  • The main question here is how much space to give to the bathroom vs closet. Please see the sketch and let us know if the bathroom will be too small & we should sacrifice some closet space to make the bathroom more comfortable.

Guest Bath (+ Laundry)

This will be the larger bathroom on this level, and we would like to include a washer/ dryer to avoid a trip to the garage for laundry.

• Please share any thoughts/ advice on which of the 3 layout options is the best. I am fine with stacked W/D.
  • The question is how to best optimize the space - should we have the W/D, toilet, vanity, tub all along one wall & have more open space or put the W/D along a different wall?
  • I imagine some extra counter space near the W/D could be useful for folding, sorting etc?

Comments (3)