SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mizsusan

Will this fan w light look ok in my great room?

7 years ago

Uploaded the fan to my great room pic. I need light in the living area. The light over dining table is big, thought the fan might balance out the room a bit. OR any other suggestions.............

Comments (25)

• 7 years ago

The amount of light coming from that fan is not going to be enough for that space. In my opinion, you will need to supplement it with other lighting sources, like table lamps and a torchiere. I can't make out much of the dining room chandelier. Something like that would not be my choice, and I don't know how you can balance it out without getting something equally large and seemingly ornate.

mizsusan thanked graywings123
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Actually I never thought of the dining room chandelier as ornate. It's rather simple - just big.You are probably right - I wasn't sure about the light from the ceiling fan - I guess I will have to buy a floor lamp too! thanks

• Related Discussions

My BM Gentle Cream color is ok but not great, next step???

Q

Comments (5)
    I guess it all is a matter of taste and bottom line is if you don't like the color the you should change it. But I disagree about a pale yellow color not belonging in a dining room/living room. Have you considered putting up drapes and artwork in the room with the bolder sun drenched colors that you are fond of? Sometimes the less you add of a color, the more punch it has. Or even a large bouquet of dried flowers on the table with those gold/orange/yellow colors.
    ...See More

HELP - trying to maximize natural light in great room w screen porch

Q

Comments (15)
    @lmkbuild BTW - we're also going to be building in AL and are in a similar solution. Screened in porch off the main living area blocking light. But, we are facing west so likely to get strong sun. You can see pictures of the rear elevation here (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/custom-house-kitchen-feedback-needed-dsvw-vd~5154367). To get more light, we have a dormer situation up top, but also other dormers so it doesn't seem "added in as an afterthought". Not sure how to phrase that without offending you. Not an architect, nor even a designer, but perhaps fake dormers might help?
    ...See More

Does my Lighting Layout (Downlights, Fan) look OK?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree taht it would probalby look best with the fan centred in the room, but at least the centre of the room (marked in the diagram) isn't far from the centre of the bed. I'll see what it looks like when I receive the fan. For practical purposes, I might end up centring over the bed so that the fan blades aren't protruding into a traffic area. My ceilings are only 7.50' which means that the fan blades would be at 6.75' from the floor which is a little low but tolerable IMO (especially if it's over a bed). Thanks!
    ...See More

Stylish ceiling fan with lights for high great room ceiling

Q

Comments (2)
    I have specified this product previously, the stem is available in varying lengths, and it can be controlled by remote, wall switch or both. My client used the fan in a double height space: https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/haiku-l/
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

I have that fan in my living room. It's a great fan. Does a super job of moving the air and it doesn't make any noise even on the high setting. We opted not to use the light that came with it. Everyone that sees the fan remarks on what a great looking fan it it. I think it will look fine in your room.

Mine is 58" but it also comes in a 5 blade 62" version. (I like the looks of the 3 blade one better.) Here's how it looks in my room.

mizsusan thanked badgergal
  • 7 years ago

It's perfect in your room. Hope it looks half as good in mine! thanks!

• 7 years ago

I'm a little worried that the fan is too small and sleek to balance well with your more ornate chandelier. I think a better balance would be a floor lamp and perhaps also a table lamp that complement your chandelier. You don't necessarily have to have something hanging from the ceiling for balance as long as the other lights have enough visual weight. With your elegant chandelier on one side, a fan on the other side seems dissonant in my opinion. Your area rug may also seem too small if you add lamps, and frankly a rug that perhaps echoes some of the colors of the large painting on the other side and covers more floor space, perhaps an Oriental, would give your rooms more warmth and glamour. Even if you would prefer a pale rug, I do think a larger size would balance the large pieces of furniture in that area more comfortably.

mizsusan thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

I have that fan in the TV room; it looks great in a transitional decor. We bought it without the light because it seemed too bright . Lamps plus carries it- if there's one in your area you can probably see it in person and judge the size and brightness for yourself.

mizsusan thanked starnold
  • 7 years ago

I would opt for the fan ....without the light. Overhead lighting is not flattering to people or things. I agree that you simply need table/floor lamps not only for looks but for reading.

mizsusan thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 7 years ago

We'll always have some overhead fans in our house for airflow. Assuming that's something important to you and more important than the lighting it will give, I'd get a fan but probably go larger. I'm not sure how accurate your mock up is for size. How large is that side of the room? There are general guidelines online for fan to room size. Definitely be sure to get the correct size. Too small and it visually looks off as well as the air flow suffers.

I'd still purchase some floor lamps. I agree with others that overhead lighting isn't the greatest from a ceiling fan, but there are occasions when we found that extra light was needed even with lamps. And to that some will say then you needed more table and floor lamps, but I don't always think there's room on a floor plan for more without looking overkill.

Do you have a closer photo of your chandelier?

mizsusan thanked User
  • 7 years ago

We live in Florida so fans are a common sight here. Actually, I really don't care about airflow, just thought it would look good in the room and give some much needed light for that area. Don't want to put in any more furniture (tables or torchieres). really just want some light. I do agree that the area rug could be larger, unfortunately that won't be happening for awhile. Really like the white. Room actually has a lot of color - just doesn't show in the pic. The entire view out the windows is green and blue water.

• 7 years ago

Forgot a pic of chandelier. It is small wooden beads stitched together in a loose material fashion that kind of flows - hard to describe. To me it is plain and simple - just BIG

• 7 years ago

Here are our outside colors that are part of the room

• 7 years ago

I think the fan would look great in the room with that chandelier. The chandelier definitely looks more ornate in the first picture which made me think the fan would look off earlier. The scale doesn't seem quite right though, if the picture is accurate scale I would look for the larger version that others have suggested. And we use our ceiling fan for light and find it is just fine. I don't worry about flattering light in the living room though and have no room for lamps.

mizsusan thanked mommyjoy
  • 7 years ago

If you live where the weather is warm and humid a fan is a must. They rarely are stylish, however needs must. Keep what ever you choose simple. That way it won't clash with other lighting. lamps often help take the emphasis of over head fans.

mizsusan thanked Laurie Gordon
  • 7 years ago

I HEARTILY disagree that fans cannot be stylish! Some even in northern climates find them a MUST in every room. There are THOUSANDS of options that range from the dramatic to so simple they seemingly blend into the ceiling.

If lighting is truly your NEED that is not the one I would have chosen. That fixture will direct light one way DOWN. I see you have fans out on your balcony. They may be more utilitarian than decorative but when you NEED a fan, you NEED A FAN!

mizsusan thanked arcy_gw
  • 7 years ago

The bigger one with 5 blades will have the right balance in your room. I think it will be pretty in your space.

mizsusan thanked nutsaboutplants
  • 7 years ago

I'm guessing the scale of the fan is off so if the fan is larger IRL then I think it will work and give you some additional light. Be sure to check if the light can be used on a dimmer.

If you don't need the airflow and the fan light isn't large enough, then other options are another chandelier that will compliment the current one, sconces, or ceiling/can lights. I can easily picture a large floor lamp in the far corner (between the windows/doors) but I don't think it'll bring the amount of light you're wanting.

mizsusan thanked annztoo
  • 7 years ago

I have a Modern Fan called Halo that has a similar profile to your chandelier. I have had it for years. I love the way it looks, but I just rehung it (after scraping popcorn ceiling) and it chatters on high speed, so I have to figure out how to fix it. Not as much air flow as the older traditional fans I have, but enough to circulate the air. Anyway, it's worth a look - you can find it on modernfan.com. Here are the lamp specs: not a ton of light:

100W A-19, standard light bulb (not included)
    - or 26W GU-24 (included if “ES” option ordered)

mizsusan thanked Jane
  • 7 years ago

I love that fan. The bigger, darker version that badger girl and mojo mom posted is awesome...the light blends well, I mean it's there, but not in your face

there, like most fan lights (including mine)...

It will look lovely in your beautiful room.

mizsusan thanked cliff_and_joann
  • 7 years ago

Living in Texas I have ceiling fans in every room and multiples in the bigger rooms. They are essential. I absolutely love the 5 blade version of that fan and think it would look great in your room. I bet it would provide a decent amount of light. I vote for that one.

mizsusan thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • 7 years ago

I have the 3 blade Minka fan in my bedroom and the 5 blade in our great room. Love them both. Absolutely quiet. Everyone comments on them. They are almost like an architectal element or piece of art. We do not use the light on either. We have them in the Kona wood. We live in Texas.

mizsusan thanked mark1993
  • 7 years ago

Hi Mizsusan...love the fan/light in your room. Really I don't get why so many people dislike ceiling fans the way they do. We install them in our bdrms in every house we've lived in.

We also have a sofa like yours with the chaise on one end & the "cuddle seat" on the other end. I sit on the chaise end ( DH uses his recliner) and have noticed no one will sit on the cuddle end of the sofa which feels and probably looks kinda silly. I have considered getting an ottoman made to match but actually hate to put out the money for one and was wondering if this has been an issue you have also encountered?

mizsusan thanked radar2
  • 7 years ago

Actually hardly anyone sits in that area. When I do, I use the chaise. If I had it to do over, would have ordered couch and chairs. It looks a little too large in our area.

• 7 years ago

Another vote for the larger 5-blade fan, and I'd get it with the light. OK, so you don't want that overhead light on all the time - but there will be times when it comes in handy: When you want to really see things well for cleaning, and when you drop that earring back and can't find it anywhere. :-)

• 7 years ago

People that don't like/understand ceiling fans are people who don't live with 100+ degree heat in the summer or they have ice-water running thru their veins OR haven't hit menopause yet! Fans can be invisible or a part of the decor, either way they make life more comfortable. We have them in every room except the laundry room. Two in the den. Depending on the room and decor, mine either blend into the ceiling color or they make a statement.