SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawn2314

Help moving to gritty mix greatly appreciated!

Shawna (5a WI,USA)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

First, thanks so much to those who share your expertise and experience! I've learned so much here recently! (after making several mistakes)

Summary:
I would appreciate any guidance on repotting succulents from various soils to gritty mix. Is this correct?
* Get all soil off the roots. Rinse with sprayer if needed. (How important is this? I'm concerned about damaging the roots)
* After potting, don't water for 2 days.
* Keep out of sun for [how long?]

Any other tips or advice?

---
Background:
2 summers ago I was given some succulents that had been in full sun in Iowa. I didn't know *anything* about succulents and am not a green thumb for house plants. I planted them together in a couple of plastic pots with drain holes in soil mixed from: good dirt from the yard, packaged garden soil, and sand. (all free) And put them outside where they got mid-day sun in southern Wisconsin. They did amazingly well that summer and last summer – all thrived. I brought them in over winter and they got morning sun through glass. Then, I got succulent fever after seeing fallen leaves and plantlets grow. But things aren't going well this year. I put the plants out this spring and left for a week and when I got back they were sunburned. :( I decide to repot, and spend some money this time and bought succulent soil and also some cuttings and small succulents. (yes, I kept them out of the sun for a while) … Then I did more research and see the straight succulent soil is not good. :( Indeed in my environment, it stays moist too long – even getting moldy on top. I've decided to change to gritty mix.

Plants:
So now I have a variety of succulents of various ages and backgrounds that I want to repot in gritty mix -- for example:
1. From the first batch originally in soil & sand mixture (I didn't do much to the roots when I repotted them a few weeks ago), my best guess at identification:
* Jade with complex, tangled root ball
* Aptenia cordifolia
* Pachyphytum
* Graptopetalum paraguayense
(and Kalanchoe laetivirens – but I'm not worried about them, since I have so many babies :-)
2. Purchased this spring, so went from grower soil (without getting it off) into the succulent soil:
* Faucaria Felina
* Senecio 'mini blue' chalk fingers
* Kalanchoe Thyrsiflora
3. Cuttings and baby plants from leaves:
Echeveria shaviana, Crassula Argentea ''Hummel's Sunset' Golden Jade Ovata, Crassula Mucosa Lycopodioides 'Watch Chain', Lampranthus Deltoides 'Pink Ice Plant / Sandstone Vygie, Crassula tetragona 'Mini Pine Tree', "Crassula 'Baby Necklace' rupestris, Crassula ‘Jade Necklace’ rupestris Hybrid", Echeveria hybrid, Graptosedum Hybrid, crassula 'campfire', senecio haworthii.

Should I do anything different when repotting any of these specific plants?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions