SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitasei

Another very very large rat snake

kitasei
7 years ago

Since moving into an old stone house four years ago, I have had close encounters with five very large black rat snakes (not the same one). By large I mean over six feet. I have skins in the cellar under the boiler, in the attic, the cottage and even our kitchen. I have learned to appreciate them, and understand that without them we would be even more overrun with chipmunks and mice than we are. But I am not happy that they come into the house and decided to try snake proof the house by caulking ever gap I can find. I'm told it's possible. The question I'm posing here is what to do about the snake that is now draped from a Sargent hemlock tree in my back terrace. I first discovered it during lunch with guests as it slithered along the wall four feet from the table. Today I saw it hanging out there. If I'm trying to rid the house of snakes, and there is one right there, shouldn't I get rid of it? Get someone to trap and release it? What would you do? (I didn't mention that I have chickens that free range. Should I be concerned for them or just their eggs?)

Comment (1)

Sponsored