SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bird_of_paradise

Plumeria seed peroxide germination

Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

OK, so I decided to conduct my first ever plumeria seed germination using the following method:

1. Fold a paper towel in four, so you have four layers.

2. Cut along the side fold of the top layer to create a flap; open flap so you have 3 layers on the bottom.

3. Lay the folded paper towel, flap open, atop a plastic ziploc sandwich bag.

4. Lay 12 seeds in 2 alternating rows on top of the 3 layers. Fold flap over seeds.

5. Pour 3% hydrogen peroxide into the bottle cap and gently dampen each seed through the paper towel. Tap your fingers over everything to evenly distribute the moist peroxide. Paper towel should be moist, not dripping wet.

6. Carefully transfer to & seal inside ziploc bag. Press out all air before sealing.

7. Hang or lay out in a sunny location.

After 5 days, I had 100% germination of all good seeds. I say "good" seeds because the dud (empty) seed turned clear in 1 day and two of them turned black & soft within 2 days. I assume these black seeds were just bad. All other seeds rooted one fat root.

After 5 days, I prepared small starter pots with quick draining cactus soil. I removed the brown coating from each seed and planted them completely, just covering the top. I have placed them in direct sun and drizzle lightly with water droplets every day.

Of the 12 seeds I began with, 9 were planted three days ago. Several of them have begun peeping out already. I know that the green currently showing was actually the seed three days ago. Please let me know your thoughts and whether everything looks OK. When do I begin fertilizing?

Comments (3)