SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elunday

How do I solve a problem like my fireplace?

elunday
7 years ago

The living room of our 1923 bungalow probably started out with a lot of nifty Craftsman touches, but many were removed through several ill-advised renovations over the years. The two most egregious are the glass brick windows on either side of the mantle (glass brick? seriously?) and the fireplace, which was tiled within the inch of its life.

Behold:

A little more detail:

It's not awful in and of itself, but it's certainly not Craftman! I've lived with it for 12 years, and I'm sick of it.

Ultimately, I'd like to either install either an antique mantel or a reproduction and include some traditional Arts and Crafts tiles. I'll do this at the same time I get the @#$ popcorn off the ceiling and replace the glass bricks, but all that's got to wait until the bank account is replenished from adding a family room and remodeling the entire kitchen. I'm thinking 4-5 years.

So I'm trying to come up with a low-cost interim approach that we could do ourselves. We can handle some basic carpentry--trim, etc.--and I can paint and stain quite handily.

What do you think? What do I do with the tile extravaganza?

Would painting the tile look stupid? You'd still see the pattern, of course.

Or would it be better to try to cover the tile with thin plywood, put up some plinths and columns, and paint or stain the whole lot? Stained wood is more Craftsman, but I wouldn't mind using paint in the short term.

Thoughts? At a minimum I plan to put a big potted fern in the fireplace along with a few pillar candles (the fireplace is totally nonfunctioning--the chimney is sealed), but I wish I could find a way to escape all that tile.

Comments (32)