SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amokk50

What's wrong with my Grape vine?

R D
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Last year and the year before, my grape vine was infected by something. I assumed that it was Phomopsis cane and leaf spot disease. So this past spring, I decided to remove everything except the trunk about 12" high.

I thought that this would get rid of the disease or whatever it is. New canes started to show up about a month ago, but it still shows some sign of disease. The growth is slow (not sure if that's normal). The infection is not as bad as before, but it's still there. See the pictures.

I've been applying Captan. I apply it all over the trunk, its bark and the new canes.

It's as though the disease shelters inside the vine, but I thought maybe it might have been hidden within the old bark on the trunk? Captan might have not killed it?

I noticed that I can remove those dark spots on the leaves and stem just by rubbing it, but some leaves look a bit deformed. Those lesions on the stems were much more severe in the past, but this year, it's only removable dark spots.

If you look at the "spring 2014" picture, it would start off like that in 2014 and 2015. Some new canes would die and fall, but starting in mid July, the disease would go away and the canes would grow long and everything would be fine, but in spring, very few berries would grow due to the disease.

I will try to remove those dark spots and unhealthy leaves, but what should be done? Should I try to remove some of the old bark on the trunk?

Comments (19)