SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Succulent Rain Shelter/Semi-Greenhouse

ewwmayo
7 years ago

It's finally up and I've moved my plants in! This semi-greenhouse/rain shelter will be the growing area for my succulents while they are out on the roof for the summer/fall. Most of my more valuable Haworthia are still staying inside, but this will let me run much fewer grow lights while temperatures are good outdoors.

The roof is made from UV-resistant 7.2 mil poly for greenhouses. Thicker and sturdier than the normal 6 mil, but not much cost difference at this size. Purchased from a large greenhouse supply company. There was a minimum order requirement, so I have a bit of extra left over. The roof is sloped to shed rain/snow/ice, hopefully it will be enough.

The roof also hangs over two of the ends by 1-2ft in case of stormier weather. For the other two sides, I just put my plant benches further away from the sides. Any plant that is very particular about watering was placed towards the middle/away from the sides.

I used corrosion-resistant deck screws for all connections. 3-1/2" for some, 2-1/2" for most, and 1-5/8" I think for the poly attachment. The poly was attached by rolling the ends with a 1x3x8 and screwing that down every 9" or so to distribute the force. Having a large number of clamps is VERY helpful for attaching the poly. Two people are absolutely required and three would be even better.

For now I've suspended a white mesh fabric over half of my plants to provide additional shade. The current amount of light during the day is quite high (June/July is peak light in my area) and approximately 30% more than what my bright grow lights were providing. Doing some more light measurements today to see how well that worked out and if I need to tweak the setup further.

The framing is primarily constructed of pressure-treated 2x4's, with some additional reinforcement where required. Bracing was important for rigidity on my roof, but I tried to keep the 'entrance' large so I wouldn't hit my head on anything. The frame is lifted off my deck with wooden feet to reduce the chance of rotting. It's important to not leave wood out for too long while waiting to build or else it will dry and warp. For some boards, I had a little warping at the end and just clamped and re-screwed those locations.

The benches were custom built by a friend of mine. He does a lot of carpentry work and did a fantastic job. Each bench is solid enough to jump on it without any concern. They're built of pressure treated wood, which I've sealed further with a 'transparent' sealant by Behr. Not sure about the longevity of the acrylic urethane sealant and that will be a learning experience. The sealant was not really 'transparent' because it contains pigmentation for UV protection.

On top of each bench, I've placed a plastic egg crate lighting louvers, cut to size with a pair of wire cutters. This is to prevent water from pooling and sitting around the bottom of my pots. The benefit is to prevent rot, mould, and pests. My deck is slightly sloped, which allows the water to drain.

And that's pretty much it! It's nice to have a place to sit and enjoy my succulent outside. =)

Comments (40)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County