SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lseltzer317537

Do anti-desiccants actually work against winter damage?

I live in zone 5a and have some evergreen azaleas and rhododendrons that are supposedly hardy in this area (stewartstonian, rosebud, and a purple passion rhodo). Each suffered severe winter damage last year due to poor siting. I transplanted them to more sheltered area, in soil modified with compost, peat, elemental sulfur and turface. Then I pruned the dead wood out to the live green just above a leaf bud. They look okay, though the purple passion is going to look freaky for a few years. It has a few leaves left, not many, but all are at terminal branches. That trooper is even putting forth next year's flower buds, God bless it.

I'm still pretty concerned about next winter though. I intend to harden them off by reducing water and then providing them a good drink before the freeze. But I wonder if I ought to be doing more. Wiltpruf has been suggested many times. What are your experiences with Wiltpruf or similar products? Burlap? Windbreaks? These were costly plants, so I'm willing to do what it takes to keep them healthy.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!