SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjs5134

Very few butterflies...

rjs5134
7 years ago

I'm amazed at the decrease in butterflies in recent years at my home in Northern NJ. 7 or 8 years ago we had many tiger swallowtails, monarchs, some black swallowtails and many less common species. It prompted me to plant more butterfly friendly plants, both nectar plants and host plants, but since the numbers have declined dramatically.

Since those years I have added milkweed, joe-pye weed, sedum, butterfly bush and bee-balm. I now have hummingbirds but less butterflies. I moved to a big property 3 years ago, just down the road, and brought some of those plants with me and added, lantana, yarrow, butterfly weed, verbena, liatris, salvia, pentas and numerous others. I also have parsley, dill, carrots, and numerous herbs. None of the plants are singular, all or planted in groups.

This year and last I have not seen any monarchs. This year I have seen 2 tiger swallowtails, 3 black swallowtails and a few white sulfurs. Nothing else. I almost feel the more plants I add, the less butterflies I see. Not to mention I have yet to see a single honey-bee. I hope this trend does not continue.

Comments (181)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio